Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a new RFB 24 inch with the gen 2.51 gas piston, no piston rings.

First day on the range was around 20f. I did the gas procedure and I found it ran with the gas system at around bottom plus 24. After 60-70 shots I noticed it was not getting all the way into battery, like it was getting stuck or not sliding well. A bit of a push forward helped and it could fire, might have failed to pick some rounds of the mag too. It was the end of the day so I went home and cleaned it.

Second day at the range, around 25f, and I run the gas procedure again and find it cycles fine with the knob all the way off (past 40 clicks). About 60 more shots. No sliding issues or fail to feed like the first day, every thing seemed fine.

My question is should I be concerned that it might still be over gassed with the knob off?

Is there anything I can/should do about this?

When it's hotter outside should I expect to set the gas system to more gas (lower number, more screwed on) or less gas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Suppressor or no?
You can ask KT for a suppressor piston if you are overgassed, even without a can. It restricts gas into the piston cup with a tighter fit against the gas port.
Do you get lock back on the last round with the gas cap off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not suppressed.

Yep, In the second trip I was getting it locking after the last round of the mag was fired with the gas cap off.

·
Registered
484 Posts
All the way off?
..Not supressed
..Is not normal..

It will lock open when you have too much gas..Your supposed to reduce your gas levels until it doesn't lock back.

Normal range is b+5 to b+15.

You sure you set the gas like I did in this video?

·
Registered
150 Posts
All the way off?
..Not supressed
..Is not normal..

It will lock open when you have too much gas..Your supposed to reduce your gas levels until it doesn't lock back.

Normal range is b+5 to b+15.

You sure you set the gas like I did in this video?
All correct, the valve controls how much gas vents from the gas block vs acting on the piston, but reducing the clearance around the shank of the piston (as with the suppressor piston) can be used to restrict the gas entering the cup in the first place, and may get him into a range where fine tuning can be made with the valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Nothing on the barrel but the thread protector. Suppressors are quite illegal up here :(

Just to make sure I've got this right:
If it's screwed on all the way to the bottom that's full gas to move the bolt back. AKA bottom +0
If it's screwed off that's as little gas as possible and should short stroke and not lock open.

For me the detent stops touching somewhere between +56 and +48. But any more open than+40 and I would be concerned the gas knob would work itself off. I have 8 notches per revolution.

On my first range trip I was getting no lock back with high enough settings. But I hadn't cleaned it since getting it.

I've tried with both federal lake city and Chinese mil surp.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yep. Nothing on the barrel but the thread protector. Suppressors are quite illegal up here :(

Just to make sure I've got this right:
If it's screwed on all the way to the bottom that's full gas to move the bolt back. AKA bottom +0
If it's screwed off that's as little gas as possible and should short stroke and not lock open.

For me the detent stops touching somewhere between +56 and +48. But any more open than+40 and I would be concerned the gas knob would work itself off. I have 8 notches per revolution.

On my first range trip I was getting no lock back with high enough settings. But I hadn't cleaned it since getting it.

I've tried with both federal lake city and Chinese mil surp.
If you have to take the cap off to shoot the gun normally, something is wrong.

Yes all the way screwed in is the bottom setting.

Watch my vid. You'll notice my gun short strokes at b+4 and doesn't lock back. @ B+6 the gun locks back..Any setting I use above 4 will lock back on a single round (for the ammo I used).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minor update.
I talked to KelTec support USA, they said yes send it in. But I am in Canada so I need to go through vault distribution. Vault is very much impacted by covid right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts