Outside hip carry holster?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by scdigger, Dec 4, 2009.

1. scdigger

scdigger New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Hey guys...I know holsters are probably a topic beat to death...but I'm looking for a quality hip/belt clip holster for outside carry not concealed carry...I see all the quality pocket holsters available, but was looking for a quality one that I can just clip on my belt when I'm out in the woods, etc. Thanks for any input.

Greg

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG.

I just wonder why you wouldn't go with a larger weapon for OWB carry in the woods? I'd have to guess that the P3 is your only carry option. The first one I found is a paddle made by Fobus, I own one for a Glock and they are good quality.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=726604

CJ

3. Colossal_Uprising

Colossal_Uprising New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I gotta tell you, if I saw someone carrying a P3-AT on their hip I would have to laugh. Seriously. What is the point. You out yourself as carrying a small weapon, which means that a bad guy will hit you first and take you out, you won't have the power to do much about it.

P3-ATs are designed for cover carry.

4. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Well first off, digging thru layer's of clothing to get to your P3AT, carried on the hip ( I assume you are not speaking of carrying Open carry) would defeat the concept of the weapons purpose..
    The small pistol's should be a backup or a quick access, point and shoot and keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat type...
    Keep the pistol handy....But in the wood's hunting...Ya might have to "squeal like a pig" if you get my drift...
    Sorry, didn't mean to beat you up...But, P32 and P3AT's don't equate to carrying in the wood's...Maybe I misunderstood you question.. ::)

5. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I doubt he's worried about laughing bad guys in the woods. I understand about the guns purpose and it's small caliber, etc. But I do have to say this though. All the firepower in the world won't help you if you don't really know what you're doing. I'll take a well trained shooter with a P3AT over a "bad guy" shooting his 45 or 50 cal sideways gangster style anytime. Carrying your gun around the woods and plinking occasionally helps you to get familiar with your weapon. It's how I was first brought in to guns as a child. Anyway, Good Luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

6. RJTravel

RJTravel New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    With all due respect to the responders the OWB carry is very feasible for the 3AT and makes a lot of sense for strenuous activities.  IWB carry under such conditions can allow it to get loose - if you've been carrying for a long time don't say it hasn't happened.  I have been carrying a handgun while backpacking for more than 54 years and find the OWB 3AT carry perfect.  It has been with me a number of times in recent years - 6 or 7 times this year.  The best method I have found is to use an IWB holster clipped over your belt but outside pants, and a large rubber tube band over the bottom of clip, thus positively securing it from getting loose yet allowing instant access.  It remains concealed even with a T-shirt.  For me it is the perfect combination.  Try it.
    Richard

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I can say it hasn't happened, I carry my PF9 IWB in a Kholster when I'm not at work and it has never moved. If your weapon isn't secure than you need a better holster. Regardless of your activity a good holster will keep the weapon in place.

I was just wondering why not carry a larger weapon if you are in the wilderness, maybe a snub 357 or larger. I would research the wildlife in the area and make my choice accordingly. Now if a P3 is your only choice than it would be better than nothing and I guess I could understand OWB carry.

CJ

8. RJTravel

RJTravel New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    can say it hasn't happened...
    CJ[/quote]

It happens all the time - regardless. Once I found a S&W snub not far from the trailhead. Later I encountered the owner - it was his good luck that I returned it to the totally surprised owner.

In many, if not most situations the 3AT is a better choice than a snub. I have more firepower, and I'm going to have it instantly available. For me my snub feels like carrying a large brick. I know more than a little about wildlife all over the West and BC, and there are only a few places where dragging along one of my bricks makes sense. In respect to IWB carry, any holster can slowly work its way loose if your activity, like mine, includes vigerous bending, stooping, liftiing, twisting, reaching, etc. - especially if one carries behind the hip. Years ago I began to carry crossdraw IWB to avoid the loosening that does occur during strenous activity. In this mode I must dress for it if carrying the bulky snub or it will be obvious, but my 3AT cannot be detected even with a T-shirt. I feel it is a big mistake to vary carry positions, therefore continue crossdraw even around town. This may not work for everybody - I am not a small guy but am slim-waisted. Try the IWB between belt & pants - if it works you'll never go back.
    Richard

9. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    One of the situations I run in to is cutting firewood. I heat with wood, and if I want to carry when I'm doing that I make sure my weapon is very secure, always owb with retention or in pocket with holster. We don't have cougar and grizzly where I live, but I presume I could run into a black bear if hiking in the appalachians to the west, but in my 50 years I have yet to do so. I still will carry my xd45 cuz it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I have it by my side ;D

I'll pocket my little canons if I'm going to the movies, or a Christmas party, or a meeting or something.

10. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    look at don hume jit slide i use it and likeit.

11. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
  12. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
  13. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I agree, waist band carry can work its way loose in the woods MUCH easier than in any other situation we encounter in a regular day. Walking up VERY steep hills causes the upper thigh to push the holster out of position very easily. I also think alot of people miss the point that in the woods, the weapon might be being carried for dogs, coyotes, that type thing, not people. Not everyone can afford multiple weapons, so their P3at might be their only option to carry even for in the woods. Any gun is always better than no gun.

14. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

15. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I notice, that holster says it only fits first gen P3AT's. I have only saw that one locally, but i assumed there was one that would fit the new model. Does anyone know if there is?

16. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    +1. Have one for my P-32. Superb quality for the price.

17. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I have one of the Fobus paddle holsters and it works great. It is not often that I carry OWB with the P-3AT but when the need is there that holster secures the weapon well and makes access simple and easy.