Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just took ownership of a new RDB-Defender and I noticed that I can drop the hammer when the safety flag is in the chamber and the bolt not in battery. Obviously, there wasn't a risk of out of battery detonation in this case, and the firing pin was still recessed in the bolt carrier, but is this normal behavior?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Safety flag doesn't prevent any mechanisms from operating normally, it's purely just a chamber plug that shows the chamber doesn't have a round in it; was the safety lever/bar on Safe or Fire?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the flag doesn't change the mechanism interactions, I did however expect the FCG to have some way to prevent out of battery detonations. With the flag, the bolt is about 1/2" out of battery (thickness of the flag body).

The safety selector was on fire and the mechanical safety is fully functional when on safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the flag doesn't change the mechanism interactions, I did however expect the FCG to have some way to prevent out of battery detonations. With the flag, the bolt is about 1/2" out of battery (thickness of the flag body).

The safety selector was on fire and the mechanical safety is fully functional when on safe.
I just picked up my RDB-S yesterday. I also noted it would release its hammer with the bolt out of battery. The firing pin can only contact the primer when the bolt is fully locked in the breach. As soon as the bolt begins to unlock (and well before it is fully unlocked) the bolt and bolt carrier as a group start to lengthen such that the firing pin can't reach the primer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up my RDB-S yesterday. I also noted it would release its hammer with the bolt out of battery. The firing pin can only contact the primer when the bolt is fully locked in the breach. As soon as the bolt begins to unlock (and well before it is fully unlocked) the bolt and bolt carrier as a group start to lengthen such that the firing pin can't reach the primer.
Thanks for confirming this is normal for the RDB.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
My 2017 is the same. I drop the hammer by riding the BCG all the time, for storage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The hammer can fall out of battery but the firing pin will not impact the primer out of battery. The bolt has to cam in before the firing pin will protrude and hit the primer. This is the same with the AR platform. In other words it's perfectly safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I only have experience tuning the lockwork in handguns, most of which have out of battery interlocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts