Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Ouch

3K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Zip196 
#1 ·
About two weeks ago I purchased a new P-3AT and headed to the range this afternoon with Magtech 95gr FMC.  

Fired 50 rounds BUT what a chore my hand is friggin sore.  Dang, it certainly kicked my butt, wasn't an enjoyable time.  Planned on firing 100 rounds for initial familiarization and break-in but I said enough is enough.  Need my sons fingerless bicycle gloves the next time I head to the range.  

Observations:

1. accurate
2. feels greats as long as I wasn't firing
3. one magazine to get the feel of the trigger pull
4. ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch

Only one misstep: on the last magazine following a shot, the magazine ejected about 1/8".  Slapped the magazine back, racked a round and continued on.  

Any words of wisdom on my 'misstep' and ouch, ouch, ouch?

#2 ·
oldMan said:
Any words of wisdom on my 'misstep' and ouch, ouch, ouch?
1st, let me say welcome to the board  :)

2nd, two probable issues on the misstep, both user error. 1 the magazine wasn't seated properly. 2. you hit the mag release (probably under recoil)
For seating the magazine, give it a sharp rap on the way in, pull down to make sure it is seated. For hitting the release, A. don't do that again, B. file down the mag release button to flush. B is a "radical" solution, you will give up any chance of rapid magazine changes and will need something to depress the mag release.  Most people don't carry extra magazines anyway.

3rd, toughen up buttercup  ;D   You could shoot a gun that really hurts, like a Scandium J-Frame .357, or Kel-Tec P40, by comparison the P3AT will seem mild. You can also limit your range sessions to around 30 rounds and shoot more often. You will most likely get use to / build up a tolerance over time. Another option is the rubber slip on grips that absorb and spread recoil. I don't like them because A. I bought a little gun because I wanted a little gun and it seems silly to add something that makes my little gun bigger. B. they eventually move around on you.

GL

#3 ·
The P3AT does have a bit of recoil.
The best way to help with that IMO is to use a Handall jr with some padding under it. I got some stuff from APE a member here, I put some on the front and rear edge of the grip. You will have to trim the Handall jr so it doesn't cover the mag catch. I also had to put a drop of super glue at the corners to keep it from moving. It has a very nice "feel" to it not and the recoil is much easier to control. I don't know if APE still has any but it wont hurt to ask.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1218762073

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/handalljr.htm

The mag coming out may have been you accidentally pushing the mag catch, that's the most common cause. It is also possible that the mag catch is worn or defective and should be replaced. I would also suggest that you push the mag catch in as you insert a magazine to reduce the wear. If it needs to be replaced it's not too bad as a DIY project.

CJ

#4 ·
oldMan said:
Fired 50 rounds BUT what a chore my hand is friggin sore.  Dang, it certainly kicked my butt, wasn't an enjoyable time.  ouch, ouch?
Hi OLD MAN.
I had trouble with hand hurting, Draw blood.
I sanded the rough spots on the grip.
I shoot only a few rounds at each range trip.
I'm 83, I know what you mean.
Charlie ;)

#5 ·
I fire my P3 just enough to ensure reliability and to stay familiar with it. I use other weapons (more comfortable to fire) for general practice -- whether range or action. You can practice your P3 draw, etc. without actually firing, and use snap caps for trigger familiarity --. After all, you would not expect to use the P3 at a "distant" threat -- but you do need to be able to draw, point and know that it will go "bang" when you pull the trigger!

JMHO, as I'm sure some will advise that your prime carry weapon should also be your prime practice weapon.

#6 ·
Howdy! Welcome to KTOG!

I've never shot more than 57 rounds in any one P3AT shooting session. Don't recall a problem when my gun was bare but now it sports grip cushions, grip sleeve and mag finger extension. Having these three results in a P3AT that is both fun and a pleasure to shoot. Still haven't shot over 57 rounds in a session. :)

Best of luck with your new pistol....

#8 ·
A quick remedy to recoil from the p3at bothering you would be to buy a pf9 and put 50 rounds through it.

After that you'll think the p3at is a bb gun.

P3at doesn't bother my hand, the pf9 eats my ass plum up.

G
#9 ·
Personally, I find a snubbie loaded with full .357 Magnum loads to be more pleasant to shoot than a 'naked' P3AT - and much more controllable. I found that a Handall, Jr. not only reduced the discomfort factor (in my case more because of the 'bed of nails' texture of the grips than recoil) but also increased the ability to control the little beastie.  For my purposes, the grip sleeve doesn't add enough to the size/bulk to bother me.  They do like to move around, sometimes, but the super glue solution works.  I also found that if you don't want to glue directly to the pistol, you can cut a piece of bicycle innertube, stretch it over the grip and then glue the Handall, Jr. to the bike tube.  

Some folks prefer going with just the bike tube - I personally like the 'finger groove' that the Handall, Jr. adds but the bike tube alone does make the grip easier to hang on to and covers the little needles that pass for texture on the grip.

#10 ·
Go to the "search" icon at top of this site and prompt in words like grip et al and you will find several threads/posts that mention useful workable remedies. Currently I took a piece of gel padding that my wife uses in her ice skates--I cut it to fit around the area under the trigger and it works like a charm. The pad is self sticking but I put a little glue on it anyway and it is perfect.
Wife just got back to me: the pad I am using is a cut portion of something by "Pedifix"; its kind of like a moleskin--really soft and "gelly"--absorbs that ouch.

#11 ·
The ouch's here are only when doing bulls eye shooting. Sights aligned, slow trigger pull, light grip.

No hurting with self defense shooting style -  very FIRM grip; faster, SMOOTH and crisp trigger pull, more often than not, 'point shooting'.  Patterns may open some but it's doing what the little lady was designed to do.

Edit-- I rapidly  shoot snub 357, 44 Mag with 300+ gr bear loads and others with a FIRM grip -> good gun control, rapid and accurate follow up shots and no pain.

#12 ·
Great comments and suggestions.  Great site with immediate constructive comments and zero flaming!  I really appreciate that.

Years ago, we were taught too use our middle finger to squeeze the trigger in close quarter combat.  Recall your youth playing war and or cowboy & indians when you used your pointer finger to shoot the bad guy? The theory behind point-and-shoot wherever the pointer finger is pointed the round goes.  The pointer finger is your 'free' tactical lazer.  With the smaller trigger guard using the middle finger to pull the trigger results in unbelievable pain from trigger finger hammering.   After a few rounds, I changed to using the pointer finger for the trigger, still some trigger finger hammering BUT bearable.

While I understand this isn't a range gun, it still would be enjoyable to shoot it on the range.  Will take the suggestion of minimal rounds downrange, gloves and gel/wrap.   As previously stated, it will be a great self defense weapon and I love the Talon pocket holster.

For those of you who never used the middle finger for the trigger (point-and-shoot), try it with your favorite non-pocket pistol.  With one word of caution;  some autos will discharge the spent round onto your pointer finger.  So the moral of this story: ensure your pointer finger isn't in harms way.

OUT

#13 ·
I noticed a little difference in the recoil control by putting on the grip extension from KT. It seems to add just enough grip control to handle it better. I also put some hard foam rubber I have had laying around for years on the back of the grip with double sided tape. This helps absorb the recoil also.
Dave

G
#14 ·
buckeyedave said:
I noticed a little difference in the recoil control by putting on the grip extension from KT. It seems to add just enough grip control to handle it better. I also put some hard foam rubber I have had laying around for years on the back of the grip with double sided tape. This helps absorb the recoil also.
Dave
I had the grip extensions on mine and really liked them. Unfortunately, the extra pressure on the bottom of the mag seemed to cause the mag to pop out of battery during firing (don't think it was me hitting the mag release because it never happened before adding the extensions and never happened again after taking them off.)

#15 ·
Not sure exactly what type of pain you're dealing with, but one thing that may help is filing/sanding down some of the ridges left on the gun from the molding process. Those can be quite sharp some times. Personally I have a Hogue grip sleeve on mine, and I LOVE it. I never found the gun to be that uncomfortable to shoot, but the sleeve did make it more comfortable.

As far as the mag releasing goes, I agree, you most likely hit it with your finger during recoil. They can be sanded down some with out making them any harder to use, but making them less likely to accidently hit. On the bright side, if you do mess one up, its only a couple bucks for a new one. Also, they are a plastic release, so when inserting mags, alot of people suggest that you depress the button, insert the mag, then release the button. That prevents alot of wear on the mag catch. There is also a member here selling metal mag catches if you're interested in that.

#16 ·
Ok ladies... I'm not sure what the fuss is about recoil and such.  I put 200 rounds through the wife's P3AT, then 200 rounds through my PF9, and finally went for the hattrick by putting almost 200 (ran out of ammo) through a buddies P11.  All 3 guns were naked, unmodded, and notorious for recoil.  I was having so much fun I was sad that I was out of ammo.  Maybe I'm just lucky because I've got the perfect hand dimensions and technique... or something...  I'm 5'8" and have proportional hands.  I'm not a mechnic with vice-grip forearms or anything.  I'm actually a programmer.  *shrugs*   :p

My wife likes her P3AT, but hates the PF9 and P11 due to the rcoil. My friend likes my PF9 and her P3AT, but likes his P11 a little less due to recoil.

I guess the moral is that you never know until you shoot one.  Don't count them out because some folks have a hard time with recoil.   Get a high-hard grip and let 'er rip tater chip!!!  :cool:

#17 ·
Emack76 said:
Ok ladies... I'm not sure what the fuss is about recoil and such.......
Really? I don't think there is any need to be insulting about it. He asked a good and common question about the P3AT and he was getting some good responses untill you posted that. If it doesn't bother you then post that but there is no reason to get childish about it. ::)

CJ

#21 ·
CJP32 said:
[quote author=Emack76 link=1267559221/15#15 date=1267631411]Ok ladies... I'm not sure what the fuss is about recoil and such.......
Really? I don't think there is any need to be insulting about it. He asked a good and common question about the P3AT and he was getting some good responses untill you posted that. If it doesn't bother you then post that but there is no reason to get childish about it. ::)

CJ [/quote]

ooooohhh...  ummmm...    :-[  Super-Sorry!   I was totally razzing when I posted that.  I wasn't serious at all.  I thought the ( :p ) emoticon indicated that.  I'm afraid it obviously didn't.  Once again, my deepest apologies!  I'll do much better in the future when I jest, I promise.

I know percieved recoil is totally subjective, as indicated by the terminology itself.  I also know that perception is reality, as my drill instructors so often told me.  That said, it's obvious that my last post was percieved as immature, or maybe even down-right rude.  I don't participate here to be a jerk.  *bows humbly*

Cheers!  [smiley=beer.gif]

PS - I had thought to change my original post, but I didn't want to take your moderation out of context CJ.

#22 ·
For me it's not the recoil - it's the sharp non-skid plastic points on the grip of the gun that dig into the skin of the web of flesh between my thumb and forefinger

The caliber of the gun and the type of load vs. the polymer ultra-lite mini-frame = recoil; you can pad it, wrap it, swear at it - do anything you want, but the recoil is going to be constant.

It's no worse (or better) than my .38 snubbie ultra-lite

It's not as bad as my .357 or my .45 but the shape and material of their grips don't make it "bite" like the unique and unusual small and sharp grips of my KT380 or my .38 snubbie ultra-lite

And...... the KT380 (and my snubbie) have those grips for a reason...... both weapons are small, ultra-lite, and the sharp texture of the grips keep the gun from slipping out of your hand - even at the expense of poking holes in your skin

I've posted before that I can GUARANTEE that I will not feel this "unpleasantness" in a critical/personal defense situation - but only at the range when I'm firing quite a few rounds and I can easily manage that discomfort with a glove

Since we're all unique with different hands, using different loads/ammo, in different environments and using slightly different guns (they are NOT all exactly "identical" and the same even though the same model) - no one would be correct in saying there's is better or worse - even if two people were to exchange them and shoot each other's weapons.

On the internet using only the written word, it's an incalculable comparison.

Discussing over and over again who's right and who's wrong (regardless of gender or humor) is like mixing sadism, necrophelia, and beastiality...

...in other words - it's like beating a dead horse.

#25 ·
CJP32 said:
The P3AT does have a bit of recoil.
The best way to help with that IMO is to use a Handall jr with some padding under it. I got some stuff from APE a member here, I put some on the front and rear edge of the grip. You will have to trim the Handall jr so it doesn't cover the mag catch. I also had to put a drop of super glue at the corners to keep it from moving. It has a very nice "feel" to it not and the recoil is much easier to control. I don't know if APE still has any but it wont hurt to ask.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1218762073

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/handalljr.htm

The mag coming out may have been you accidentally pushing the mag catch, that's the most common cause. It is also possible that the mag catch is worn or defective and should be replaced. I would also suggest that you push the mag catch in as you insert a magazine to reduce the wear. If it needs to be replaced it's not too bad as a DIY project.  

CJ
Say does that super glue really work might be something I might want to try on my PF9.

Tom j

#26 ·
Yes the super glue works well, just keep in mind that it makes it a "permanent" modification. You could still remove it but I'm sure there would be some glue left on the grip.

Emack76, maybe I overreacted but it's hard to tell when someone is joking on here. We try to keep everything friendly here on KTOG, that's why this is the only on-line gun board that I'm an active member on. So it was a misunderstanding on my part, I am by no means a moderator here and would not assume to fill that role.

Have a good day
CJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.