Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My RDB works fine - none of the problems reported by some others - I do use steel-cased ammo, and while I know that's not the recommended approach, aside from having had to adjust the gas setting on my gun, all is good, and everything functions reliably - except that magazines other than the PMAG 20 round magazine (GEN M3) that came with the gun aren't locking in - with the bolt locked back, I tried seating a few different C Products mags that work fine in ARs that I have, and while the C Products mags slide in and I hear a click with the RDB, they don't lock in securely and stay in - they pull out very easily before I start firing - if I try and fire the gun with one of the other mags, the mag gets loose and \ or falls out after the first shot, preventing any further firing - any suggestions, aside from calling Kel-Tec ??

·
Registered
138 Posts
There seems to be some variation in magazine catches on the various USGI style metal mags out there (I'm assuming that is what the C Product mag is from a quick google, don't own any). For instance, I have steel and aluminum 30rd mags made by D&H and Blackhawk, and both work fine. My original Colt 20rd USGI work fine as well, but then I've heard that Colt 30rd mags can also have issues with locking in.

This is actually one of the smaller RDB issues that I don't think I've heard an official opinion on from Kel-Tec, so yeah, I'd contact them and ask and report back if you can!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post up after I talk with Kel Tec - wonder if there's any tweaking \ adjustment that can be made to the magazine catch mechanism? I'd prefer just knowing for sure which mags work and which don't? I wonder if ALL the PMAG GEN M3 work ??

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll post up after I talk with Kel Tec - wonder if there's any tweaking \ adjustment that can be made to the magazine catch mechanism? I'd prefer just knowing for sure which mags work and which don't? I wonder if ALL the PMAG GEN M3 work ??
yes they do...window or non-window gen 3 pmags works just fine. i have elander usgi steel mags that run flawlessly, gen 2 pmags...no issues as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked with Shawn at Kel Tec- what a nice guy - because of the magazine problems I've had, he's sending me 20 brand new PMAG magazines that we know will fit the gun - just kidding, but he is sending me a magazine catch (no charge) and a return envelope for the one that's on the gun now. He said that most AR-15 magazines should work just fine.

As soon as the replacement arrives and I get it swapped in, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just talked with Shawn at Kel Tec- what a nice guy - because of the magazine problems I've had, he's sending me 20 brand new PMAG magazines that we know will fit the gun - just kidding, but he is sending me a magazine catch (no charge) and a return envelope for the one that's on the gun now. He said that most AR-15 magazines should work just fine.

As soon as the replacement arrives and I get it swapped in, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
lol...when i got to the point of reading..."sending me 20 brand new PMAG...", I started setting up a service ticket with them explaining i'm having magazine issues too.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Do you have calipers? At the very least side by side photos of the actual "catch" area would be very interesting!

Curious if this is another little redesign they've made that has flown under our radar!

Also, you totally got me with the "20 mags" bit. I, too, was half way to opening a support ticket upon reading that. Ha!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Using my Harbor Freight digital caliper, I measured the mag catch of the three magazines in the picture in this link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0mgLK8YXLUOdlhHZEFjZHRtNHc.

From the top of the feed lip to the top of the inside of the mag catch cutout, the three mags measured 1.13, 1.11, and 1.10, from left to right - the cutout for all of the mags measured 0.26.

The left-most mag is the PMAG that came with the RDB, then an unmarked, 30 round mag that works fine on my Olympic Arms AR-15 (5.56), and then 30 round a C Products Mag that works fine that I use on another Olympic Arms AR-15 (7.62).

With the mag catch cutouts all measuring the same, it looks like the cutouts on the other two mags, which work in regular AR-15 lowers, are a bit high to allow insertion deep enough to the RDB for the mag catch to grab the magazine securely - does that make sense?

If so, I'm guessing that my two other AR-15 mags are not spec mags for an AR-15 and that's why they won't lock in, even with the replacement mag catch that Kel Tec is sending. The PMAGS aren't that expensive, and if I need to buy some more of them for my RDB, I guess that's fine.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Hexmags pretty much exclusively and found that the Series 2 run flawlessly, nice fit, lock up and drop free. The Series 1 Hex mags run fine, but fit is tight and they won't drop free. I have also ran PMAGs (gen 2 and 3) through it as well as some random GI mags and have never had any issues with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.