Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well gang, i just ordered the 380 version in hard chrome today....i am also taking a look at the parkerized version as the chrome one may take a month to get.
thanks for your feedback. ;D

·
Registered
585 Posts
dmize23235 said:
well gang, i just ordered the 380 version in hard chrome today....i am also taking a look at the parkerized version as the chrome one may take a month to get.
I think the hard chrome is worth waiting for. At least for me, the sights on my hard chrome are easier to use than on my blued P-3AT.

Some people would argue that shiney pocket guns make no sense for carrying, but I "don't get it" on that issue. ;D

Ever since I managed to rust the slide on my first kel-Tec, a first generation P-32, I have favored hard chrome. Yes, it was easy to repair the small area of the finish near the recoil rod on that gun, but . . . ::)

TucsonMTB . . . who might be part crow (bird not indian)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
dmize23235 said:
.i am also taking a look at the parkerized version as the chrome one may take a month to get. thanks for your feedback. ;D
Kel-Tec not only Parkerizes the slide but also the barrel. There are several law in Nature: the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, what goes up will come down and Kel-Tec barrels will drag on the slide-breach-opening showing ugly scrapes (to the bare metal) on the barrel. Go for blued over Parkerized if you can’t get hard chrome.

Wilson – who’s a hard chrome aficionado ::)

G

·
dmize23235 said:
buy either the hc or the blued version. screw the parked version, they also park the inside of that barrel also and that sucks. It won't looked parked after a short while of owning it, and pocketing it etc. the hc is more durable of all the finishs. many think even a smoother action to..

·
Registered
357 Posts
"Parked barrel also lowers bullet velocity"

Any idea how much power is lost because of the finish?

I know every little thing makes a difference - but is it 2 fps or 50 fps?

I like the look of the plain steel barrel better than the parkerized - I bought the parkerized gun - but if I had it to do over again I would go for the blued.

When I bought mine the blue finish was sort of a washed out gray - really like the new darker color.

Just out of curiousity - what causes the reduction in power?

I can understand the loss in power caused by the slide moving back when you fire a semi auto pistol - compared to firing the same round out of a single shot gun (same barrel length). But if the finish increases friction - slows the slide down - or makes it harder to move in the first place - why wouldn't that increase the power?

My mind does work differently then most! Not the first time I am thinking backwards.

But it seems like if there was no resistance / no friction between the barrel and slide the round would loose power - if there is complete resistance - like a single shot gun held firm by a brick wall - it would increase the power.

G

·
I think they are talking about the insdie of the barrell kt parks the inside also which is shear stupidity.... IMO

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
z71bill said:
"Parked barrel also lowers bullet velocity"

Any idea how much power is lost because of the finish?

I know every little thing makes a difference - but is it 2 fps or 50 fps?

I like the look of the plain steel  barrel better than the parkerized - I bought the parkerized gun - but if I had it to do over again I would go for the blued.

When I bought mine the blue finish was sort of a washed out gray - really like the new darker color.

Just out of curiousity - what causes the reduction in power?

I can understand the loss in power caused by the slide moving back when you fire a semi auto pistol - compared to firing the same round out of a single shot gun (same barrel length).  But if the finish increases friction - slows the slide down - or makes it harder to move in the first place -  why wouldn't that increase the power?  

My mind does work differently then most! Not the first time I am thinking backwards.

But it seems like if there was no resistance / no friction between the barrel and slide the round would loose power - if there is complete resistance - like a single shot gun held firm by a brick wall - it would increase the power.
  Wow! Where do I begin?

Okay, Between the Parked PF9 and the steel P11, (essentially the same barrels except for parking.) It was more like 50 FPS lost in the Parked barrel.

In a wetpack test between the two, that translated to about 5/8 inch less penetration, or almost an inch less in Ballistic Gelatin--And this from the much more powerful 9mm.

The P3AT with its more anemic round and even shorter barrel would probably see an even larger decrease in effectiveness from the parked barrel.

The Parkerizing actually etches the metal, making it rougher and causing more friction for the bullet in the barrel.

In a locked breech pistol ( As is the P3AT ) the bullet has left the barrel, thereby reaching its maximum velocity, before the barrel has unlocked from the slide. And WELL before the slide starts to cycle. The slide cycling will therefore have no effect on the bullet velocity.

Packer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Parkerizing also wears off of the barrel leaving a nice trapezoidal shiny area on top.
I just go over it occasionally with a sharpie.
How long does it take for the parkerizing to wear out of the inside of the barrel?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
W said:
Parkerizing also wears off of the barrel leaving a nice trapezoidal shiny area on top.
I just go over it occasionally with a sharpie.
How long does it take for the parkerizing to wear out of the inside of the barrel?
After more than 400 rounds, the PF9 parked barrel still loses velocity and penetration compared to the steel P11 barrel. Since the Parkerizing is etched into the metal, I'm not sure it will EVER lose this effect.

Packer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So the parkerized finish is ON THE INSIDE of the barrel?

I did not know that. :-[

The parkerized finish on the outside of my barrel hood (the front part anyway) is mostly gone. But the finish inside the barrel is still intact. Strange - I wish the finish inside would wear off - so I could have less power loss - and I wish the finish on the outside would NOT wear off - I have considered sanding it off - but don't want to mess it up.

Seems like the force of a bullet screaming out of the barrel at 1,000FPS would cause it to wear off faster than the rubbing of the hood on the slide.

Could this be a reason to buy a new BLUE P-3AT?

My wife "YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER GUN!"
>:(
But honey - the new one gives me 50 FPS more bullet speed! ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.