Optics Newbie

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by jgorniak, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jgorniak

jgorniak New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    As a proud new owner of an SU-22, I'm still looking forward to my first extended range trip. The last time I fired a long gun was about 30 years ago (an Ithaca 12 ga shotty).

I plan to just plink with the iron sights for a while, but I know I'll be looking for an inexpensive scope at some point. Here is where I need help...

I know nothing about optics. I've read where many say that you should always buy the best that you can afford, because you'll always wish you'd done it in the first place, eventually. I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with something basic, just an aid to punch paper  @ 50 - 100 yds in regular daylight. Is there something I can find in the $50 range that might suit my needs? If that's not feasible, can $100 do the trick? Thanks in advance...

2. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    If you're dedicating the scope to the SU-22, recoil is a lot less of an issue. You should be able to find a decent set of scope and rings in the $50-$100 range. There are some scopes designed and marketed specifically for this purpose. Considering your comments I assume you're over 35 and will be shooting static targets such as paper or clay targets. A 3-9X scope will probably do the trick for shooting 25-100 yards. You might find a good bundled deal with a decent scope and light but adequate rings. For lower cost, I'd look for brands such as Simmons, BSA, Barska, Bushnell.

Midway makes it easy to search for scopes and they have user reviews, so that may be a good place to look. If you go to their website, click Optics, Rifle Scopes, Rimfire, you'll end up here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.ex...oryid=11397&categorystring=657***11392***

4. jgorniak

jgorniak New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Sorry Bam_Bam, I shold know better. Guess I brain-cramped and never even considered looking under any sections other than the SU-22. I'll check out those threads.

L4E, thanks for the Midway link. I like their service, having once placed an order at 6:00 AM on a Thursday and receiving it the next day, with no extra costs incurred.