Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a chance to buy a PA63 for 250 with 3 mags, iwb holster and little ammo (9x18). I had a Makarov some years back but sold it because of ammo availability locally. I don't buy or need big qtys online. I understand that the ergonomics are similar. I know the da is not great but there are springs available or you can try clipping a coil off the hammer spring. It will be mostly a "something else" to shoot at the range gun without breaking the bank but I never rule out having to use it in a situation. The reason I'm reconsidering the 9x18 is that the Academy near me seems to stock the ammo regularly. The cheap stuff Monarch (10.50). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just get another Mak? Arguably one of the best dependable little autos made, you already had one and know it's capabilities.
Far and few between around here and pushing 400 when they show up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Far and few between around here and pushing 400 when they show up.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wow when the Russian model mfirst became available five if us when down at lunch and bought one, $125 with two mags and a holster.
Overall very impressive little pistols. Pretty darn accurate and as reliable as any automatic I have owned including Sig. While Walter PP/PPKs, the western gun that most closely fills the same role, are certainly more refined when it gets serious I'd take the Mak every time.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wow when the Russian model mfirst became available five if us when down at lunch and bought one, $125 with two mags and a holster.
Overall very impressive little pistols. Pretty darn accurate and as reliable as any automatic I have owned including Sig. While Walter PP/PPKs, the western gun that most closely fills the same role, are certainly more refined when it gets serious I'd take the Mak every time.
No argument from me. I remember the cheap surplus prices back in the day. Look on gunbroker. Hovering over 300 plus shipping and ffl fees.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The Blue Book for the PA63 is about $130.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
The Blue Book for the PA63 is about $130.
Agreed. The higher prices may be what people are asking - not necessarily what they are getting.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I have a chance to buy a PA63 for 250 with 3 mags, iwb holster and little ammo (9x18). I had a Makarov some years back but sold it because of ammo availability locally. I don't buy or need big qtys online. I understand that the ergonomics are similar. I know the da is not great but there are springs available or you can try clipping a coil off the hammer spring. It will be mostly a "something else" to shoot at the range gun without breaking the bank but I never rule out having to use it in a situation. The reason I'm reconsidering the 9x18 is that the Academy near me seems to stock the ammo regularly. The cheap stuff Monarch (10.50). Thanks for any input.
It's a good gun. But check it very closely for cracks in the frame.

The PA63 is an aluminum alloy frame which will handle standard power 95 gr. Mak cartridges just fine. But running heavier bullets or hotter loads will tend to wear out the frame and crack it. There are some reports that the life span of the pistol is shorter than that of steel framed pistols, but, to be honest, most of them are just fine. Because it is an aluminum frame in conjunction with a simple blowback system, the felt recoil is much greater than that of a Makarov (PM). The function is pretty similar, however, and it's nice that it has a frame based mag release. All of them that I've seen were imported with the goofy "target grips" in order to make points. If you're a lefty, you'll want to get rid of the "target grips" as fast as you can. For righties, they're actually not bad. The aluminum frame and slim size makes it a natural CC gun. My PA63 was one of my go-to for CC prior to buying my PF9. However, the "target grips" thumb ridge can make CC uncomfortable depending on how you carry.

The DA trigger sucks. The SA is just OK. The sights are tiny and awful. A trigger job and/or springs helps the DA trigger, but if you go too light, it'll induce light strikes. Testors Model Paint helps the sights a great deal but they'll never ever be what we now consider "Combat Sights." OTOH, their small size can actually help with accuracy, provided your eyes are up to the task.

Check for cracks in the frame, excessive wear on the rails, and a tight fit.

FWIW, I've been considering selling mine too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We made a trade instead. I have a used Hipoint 995ts that I stopped using because it was depleting my 9mm ammo. Seemed like a good idea at the time and since I got my ar it became expendable. I only sold the rifle. My bipod went to my ar15 and I kept the red dot. He gave 50 cash. I'm satisfied. By the way he bought and changed the springs according to what most say is best. Said it's a lighter da and 100% ignition even with the cheap Russian steel.The only mod I did was to the tab on the mags that hold the slide open. Without the mod mags don't drop free. Everything is in working order. No cracks etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way this gun is thin enough to use the outside holster. With an oversize tee that I wear it's about as good as iwb. What I found best is to run my belt over the outside of the holster. When I snug up my belt it pulls it in pretty snug. Maybe not the right way but it works. The only diff is the muzzle is running down the outside. Gotta watch it if I reach into my pocket. However, not sure if I will actually use it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I made a new set of grips that are flat on both sides, non of that "target" thumb rest BS. 1/4 inch oak scrap worked fine. Also designed and made an IWB concealment holster for mine. Don't carry it much, but still a nice handgun.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made a new set of grips that are flat on both sides, non of that "target" thumb rest BS. 1/4 inch oak scrap worked fine. Also designed and made an IWB concealment holster for mine. Don't carry it much, but still a nice handgun.
I'd like to see them if it's not much trouble.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My PA-63, with new grips. Made from red oak scraps, using the original grip screw bushing. Coat of stain (I forgot the color!), and several coats of BLO. Holster I actually one of my Bersa Thunder holsters, don't have one right now for the PA, but would be vey similar, just riding higher on the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My PA-63, with new grips. Made from red oak scraps, using the original grip screw bushing. Coat of stain (I forgot the color!), and several coats of BLO. Holster I actually one of my Bersa Thunder holsters, don't have one right now for the PA, but would be vey similar, just riding higher on the gun.
Pretty nice grips from scrap wood.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A little off topic. Concerning the recoil and hammer springs. I would think the stock heavy hammer spring would slow the slide down somewhat in it's rear travel. If you go lighter hammer spring and use the stock recoil spring it would seem the gun would take more abuse on it's rear travel. Therefore I think you would HAVE to go with a stronger recoil spring? However, the stronger recoil spring would put more stress on the frame when the slide goes forward. Am I making sense?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.