Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how many people on here choose to open carry, and what your experience has been with it. I am taking the class for my cc permit this evening and plan to carry that way once I get legal. I have only carried open 1 or 2 times. I guess it just made me feel a little self conscious, which is wired, because when I see someone else carrying openly I'm happy to see it.

A few years back two cities here banned open carry before the state of WV passed a law to protect the rite. Those two cities are considered to be grandfathered. These happen to be the two cities where I wouldn't wanna take my family without a gun.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Our new oc law starts in november!!! I'm mostly looking forward to not worring about printing.

I will be ocing when my cammo is on!!! Also i'm moving to belt holsters that can still be covered up with a shirt tail,. Found a Mitch Rosen lefthanded belt-slide holster for my kahr!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When your cammo is on? Just hunting or are you a military guy? Or just a fashion choice:)

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Open carry is legal here in Colorado. But I got a CCW permit and choose to carry concealed anyway. I carry concealed not because I am self concious or ashamed ... I carry concealed because that gives me the best tactical advantage should I ever be attacked. I have nothing against open carry, but I do not feel a need to make a statement of my support by carrying this way, therefore giving away my tactical advantage.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I just don't worry to much about it. Yeah, I do consider, if I'm oc'ing, whether to put on an over shirt, but often don't. I let my wardrobe dictate for the most part. Loose t-shirt, cc. Tight t-shirt with over shirt, then it gets kinda hot? oc. Post office? empty holster often visable. Never had any problems, seldom have any comments. A time or two I've been asked "you're not going to shoot us, are you?". I say "No, why would I do that?"
In a former life, when I wore a tie (but no gun), it was not unusual for me to be in a store and someone ask if I was the manager. I just kinda walk around like I know what I'm doing. I figure that now that I'm wearing more dressed down attire, but still carry my self the same way, if I have an open carried gun, many would assume I'm off duty leo.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've open carried walking around the farm, but nowhere else. Except in the back country while hiking, which I don't do much of anymore.

With CCW, no need to, and I personally find OC more of a political statement than anything with a purpose. To me it feels exhibitionist.

As far as walking into a post office with an empty hoster, the statement is "there's a gun in my truck outside and I'll be busy on line for a few minutes". This is why I favor paddle holsters - if you're leaving the gun behind, the holster stays with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I rarely open carry, but here in KY most rural areas it's not that shocking to see a weapon being packed, although I rarely see anyone open carrying. If I'm not going to be around many people I don't worry about hiding it as much. Open carry is legal here, even for people without CCDW permits.

Last time I open carried for any amount of time was a kayaking trip on the river at a group event kind of thing. I wanted my gun with me, as I always do but particularly so in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of people I was only sorta acquainted with. My shirt was not going to hide it, so open it had to be. I got several comments on it, all positive, atta boy, kind of stuff. I would assume anyone who did not approve avoided me.

I pretty much always conceal in public as I prefer the tactical advantage, and I don't want to encourage any bully type individual to see if they can make me pull it. I avoid open carry in any area very populated as I just don't want the hassle if some uninformed individual sees my gun and calls the cops. And I am self conscious about it, so I would rather be less worried someone sees it. I have accidentally flashed it a few time if my shirt rode up or something, nothing came of it but I don't like that feeling of wondering if people are going to freak out, even if I'm doing nothing wrong.

I'm really liking my P-3AT for the expanded ability to conceal in lighter clothes. If I can't hide my Springfield I just get the P-3AT and go. Otherwise I have to carefully plan what I'm wearing to effectively hide the Springfield, which has resulted in me open carrying for brief periods to run in the gas station and such. Not a huge deal around here, but still I'd rather keep it out of sight.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have had a ccw since 1987, I think open carry is a bad idea. I want the element of surprise on my side, open carry can lead to direct assault to get your weapon, let's say you were in a store and something happened who do you think the bad guys are going after first, the nice people standing around or the guy with the gun on his hip?

This was taken from 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry written by Massad Ayoob,, who has been considered the top defensive weapons expert for many years, has testified at many trials, etc.

Concealed Means Concealed
A very few people carrying guns for the first time feel an irresistible urge to let others see that “they’ve got the power.” First-time carriers and rookie cops, usually young in both cases, may fall into this trap. It is a practice to avoid for several reasons.

In most of this society, the only people the general public sees carrying guns in public are uniformed “protector figures,” such as police officers and security guards. When they see someone not identifiable as such, who is carrying a lethal weapon, they tend to panic. This makes no friends among the voting public for the gun owners’ rights movement—you do not make people into friends and sympathizers, by frightening them—and can lead to a panicky observer getting the wrong idea and reporting you to the police as a “man with a gun.” This can lead to all sorts of unpleasant confrontations.

Moreover, a harasser who has picked you as his victim and knows you carry a gun can create a situation where there are no other witnesses present, and then make the false claim that you threatened him with the weapon. This is a very serious felony called Aggravated Assault. It is his word against yours. The fact that you are indeed carrying the gun he describes you pointing at him can make his lie more believable than your truth, to the ears of judge and jury.MCRGO, Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners, is directly responsible for getting reform concealed carry legislation enacted in their state, and has been in the forefront of fighting for the rights of armed citizens in that state. MCRGO’s Steve Dulan, in the organization’s Weekly E’News of 6/23/08, had some cogent points to make on the topic of private citizens carrying handguns visibly in public:

“Open carry of firearms, subject to MCL 750.234d, it is legal to carry a visible pistol in public. MCRGO has not adopted an official position on this subject,” wrote Dulan, who continued, “I agree with Ted Nugent and many others that it is a bad idea in almost every situation. Tactically, you are giving up the element of surprise should you face a deadly force situation. Furthermore, you run the risk of being called in to 9-1-1 as a ‘man with a gun.’ I have been on police ride-alongs when this call comes over the radio. It creates a very dangerous situation for all concerned. I do not carry openly. I have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and take care to choose a gun and holster that, along with appropriate clothing, allow me to keep my gun concealed unless/until I need it to save a life.”As cogent and valid as Steve Dulan’s arguments are, it still makes sense to have legal open carry available as an emergency option. If the wind accidentally blows your coat open and reveals the gun, an open carry provision assures you have committed no crime. If someone who has not yet felt the need to get a concealed carry license suddenly begins getting death threats, open carry provides an emergency avenue of self-protection until the paperwork can be processed to acquire the license to carry the weapon discreetly out of sight.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would like to know how many people on here choose to open carry, and what your experience has been with it. I am taking the class for my cc permit this evening and plan to carry that way once I get legal. I have only carried open 1 or 2 times. I guess it just made me feel a little self conscious, which is wired, because when I see someone else carrying openly I'm happy to see it.

A few years back two cities here banned open carry before the state of WV passed a law to protect the rite. Those two cities are considered to be grandfathered. These happen to be the two cities where I wouldn't wanna take my family without a gun.
When I worked in a gun shop during college, I open-carried almost every day, either in the shop or on the way to or from a gun show. I still open carry when I hunt, and while I was waiting to get my concealed carry permit after moving to Nebraska, I open-carried while backpacking, walking the dog, and driving my car (in the last case, "open carry" meant "pistol in the cup holder or on the passenger seat in plain view").

When open-carrying in my car I once got pulled over for a problem with my tag. I immediately told the officer to note my 9mm in plain view, and asked him what he would like me to do to make him comfortable about it. He ended up unloading my pistol, which I wasn't too happy about but which was preferable to being shot. Then he proceeded to tell me that I should get a concealed carry permit and carry concealed. I informed him that I was an attorney and gun rights advocate (I recently helped found a new gun rights group here in Nebraska), and that open carry is fully legal in Lincoln, Nebraska. He conceded that open carry was legal, and off he went to save someone else from an expired license plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I open carry on a regular basis, with a few exceptions:

At the bar. There are too many drunk idiots that think they can take you and your gun. I still carry, but I go concealed.

When I take my kids to 'kid places' like the playground. It doesn't bother the kids, but people seem to be more nervous at a place like that. Again, concealed is the choice.

If you do open carry, I recommend an active retention system like a SERPA holster. You don't want someone to just walk up and try to take your gun. (Please do not comment on this statement or use it to advocate concealed carry. I do recognize the inherent flaw, I just choose to understand it and prepare for it.) Active retention helps keep this from happening while still allowing for a quick draw, if needed.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
I would like to know how many people on here choose to open carry, and what your experience has been with it.
Would it be possible to keep this on the original topic and answer the OP's questions. This was not started as a debate between the merits of OC over CC. It was a question directed at open carrying members asking for their personal observations. Pretty simple question really. ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ONLY time I open carry is when in the back woods. Most any other situation, except obvious locations like the shooting range, are, IMHO, asking for trouble.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As I live in FL where open carry is prohibited I do have property and travel to North Carolina where open carry is legal. I prefer carrying concealed but have on occasion carried openly in NC. It is very convenient at times. Such as when I’m working at the barn and need to quickly run to town for something. It’s nice not to have to find or deal with a cover shirt in the heat of the day.

It’s seems to me to become second nature in states that allow open carry. It seems to go unnoticed or unacknowledged from most people as it becomes more routine. I remember going to a convenience store and as we were leaving the wife says “did you see that man wearing his gun”. He was standing right next to us and I didn’t even realize he was open carrying.

Most gun owners that I’ve seen carrying openly seem to be mostly respectfully dressed and polite, if that is the right terminology. I don’t think you will see the hood rats open carry much. I think open carry is a personal option that should not be restricted by the government. It revolves around time and place and a personal choice. I do not think my right to open carry should be prohibited because some feel uncomfortable and/or over react by calling 9-1-1 simply because they “saw a gun”. There is a great deal of training and self-awareness that goes with the choice to open carry but it should not be illegal at the government’s discretion. If open carry was legal in FL I would still CC majority of the time. However, I believe it should be my choice.

I do believe that anyone that chooses to carry a firearm in public CC or OC, should be required to have a license to do so. That goes against a lot of staunch 2A supporters but that’s how I feel. If you choose to carry a gun in public I like the idea that you have been somewhat vetted to do so. That is where some form of the training comes in before the license is issued. I have no problems with gun safety classes, a demonstration of some form of competency and proficiency along with criminal back ground checks.

Just IMHO…

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You make an interesting point in thinking people should be required to take some safety training. I don't like the idea of a license, but think it would be good to see gun safety taught in schools maybe by local police. I don't know at what age it would be appropriate and of course you probably couldn't incorporate actual shooting, but teaching safety would be a good idea. Enough kids have accidents with guns due to curiosity. This would probably aid in preventing some of them from harming themselves.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do believe that anyone that chooses to carry a firearm in public CC or OC, should be required to have a license to do so. That goes against a lot of staunch 2A supporters but that’s how I feel. If you choose to carry a gun in public I like the idea that you have been somewhat vetted to do so. That is where some form of the training comes in before the license is issued. I have no problems with gun safety classes, a demonstration of some form of competency and proficiency along with criminal back ground checks.

Just IMHO…
In my humble opinion, the people that the Framers thought we needed guns to defend against ought not be in charge of deciding who gets to have a gun. If something is an inalienable, natural right, forcing people to jump through bureaucratic hoops to get a license is tyranny.

I don't need permission in order to be able to justly own and possess a firearm. It is my right to do so, and anyone who threatens force against me for exercising this basic human right is a villain who deserves what he gets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
huffy49 said:
The ONLY time I open carry is when in the back woods. Most any other situation, except obvious locations like the shooting range, are, IMHO, asking for trouble.
Since I began open carrying, I have not had any issues. I may live in a small town but I do travel to cities in PA and even other states. Not just me but also my brother and several of my best friends open carry on a regular basis. Never a bit of trouble.

The only time anyone has said anything about it was a LEO in my hometown. All he wanted to know was what kind of gun it was. We ended up talking about guns and tazers for a few minutes. The end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Open carry is legal here in Colorado. But I got a CCW permit and choose to carry concealed anyway. I carry concealed not because I am self concious or ashamed ... I carry concealed because that gives me the best tactical advantage should I ever be attacked. I have nothing against open carry, but I do not feel a need to make a statement of my support by carrying this way, therefore giving away my tactical advantage.
Even if it becomes legal here in Florida,I'm like Haertig,don't want to give up the advantage I have.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts