Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my P3-AT Tuesday and the slide was drilled really thin. I took it to the range today. I was expecting peening but I didn't even check it after the first box. The slide stayed back and the recoil spring was hanging out after round 66. Do I get a prize for fastest slide destruction?

http://picasaweb.google.com/nottestuser/KelTec/photo#5045540989004982002

And don't bother offering my a crisp $100 for it. When I get it back I'm keeping it. This will just give me some time to sand off all the raised seams on the grip.

Thanks to everyone else who posted about this problem. I'd be pretty upset if I wasn't expecting this. As it is I'm just accepting that this is not typical of P3-ATs as a whole and I'll just wait for KT to get their butts in gear and make decent slides again.

Oh, and my SN is J5XXX.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Re: Only 66 rnds to slide failure, do I get a priz

Maybe, :-/

At least you read it here first and were execting it

What is keeping the slide back

·
Registered
55 Posts

SH*T...i am about to go pick up my brand new J5****.....now I guess its just a countdown till failure...i have such great luck with things like this! sorry to hear that....let us know how everything turns out!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

Now that I've thought about it, how was the recoil on that last shot :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts

That's pathetic!!!
Sounds like a few of us got lucky with our P3-ATs.
Spending $250-$300 isn't huge money as far as guns go but come on! As good as KelTec is with their customers wouldn't you think they would just pull them off the shelves. The bad publicity alone will hurt their sales.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

no, this is acceptable. some of us like to be beta testers for equipment, and after all, the warranty will make it right.

although there is no guarantee what he gets will be any better, they can not tell you what slides are right and wrong.

and they send sights with screws that are known to be too long, and cause damage, so who says they will put the right parts in...

rjhauser - cynical as ever today, but just da*n fed up with this issue,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Rubb said:
I would say no spring tension
Actually to be technical it was not enough spring tension. Only the inner spring punched through and the outer spring alone wasn't strong enough to drive the next round up the feed ramp. I had to pull back the slide and push out the mag to clear it.

manr0e: When you pull it apart the first time it'll be really obvious that the front is too thin if it's like mine. I might try the washer fix if I get another thin slide and shoot that for a while until Kel-tec starts putting out good slides and then take the washer out and shoot it until destruction. That way I can trade it in for a good slide before I get it chromed. You might consider the same.

Recoil didn't seem different. Mostly I was trying to find the sights and keep my index finger from slipping across the trigger. I hadn't made it up paying attention to recoil. This pistol is going to be a PITA to learn to shoot well but it's a dream to carry.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

nottestuser said:
This pistol is going to be a PITA to learn to shoot well but it's a dream to carry.

If you have pistol shooting experience, you'll catch on quickly assuming you get to shoot more than once every two months or so due to waiting on new slides >:(

·
Registered
55 Posts

They let me strip it at the store...but i was not aware of the problem yet...and therefore did noit pay close attention! I could have bought the H*** or a J+++ and got the J bc i figured it was newer so maybe better.....guess I was wrong! ...oh well ont the end of the world!

·
Registered
112 Posts

rjhauser said:
no, this is acceptable.  some of us like to be beta testers for equipment, and after all, the warranty will make it right.

although there is no guarantee what he gets will be any better, they can not tell you what slides are right and wrong.

and they send sights with screws that are known to be too long, and cause damage, so who says they will put the right parts in...

rjhauser - cynical as ever today, but just da*n fed up with this issue,
Why would KT want to make a better mousetrap if they know the general concensus is that they can put a trigger on a stick and loyalist will say it is excepatable because of great service and warranty. I like my KT toys but I'm beginning to see why the service and warranty IS the selling point. Its because the product is very weak at times. I have been lucky with my toys and have had no major problems but some/ a lot folks are getting downright crappy products. With crappy product comes complaints.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

who cares about warranty if you replace bad parts with bad parts?

if they are repairing bad parts with bad parts, they need to absorb the cost of shipping, at a minimum.

·
Registered
122 Posts

rjhauser said:
no, this is acceptable. some of us like to be beta testers for equipment, and after all, the warranty will make it right.
The purpose of the P3-AT is self defence. Re-read what you wrote. If you find bad products acceptable as you claim then why did you buy it? Defence pistol went right out the door.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

it worked BEFORE KT repaired it with FAULTY PARTS. it went in for a frame crack as a 1G, came back as a broken 2G. never had a problem with it until the frame cracked.

now I have NO p3at's in my posession (both home at Fla being repaired with more faulty parts)

and i SOLD my 2 PF-9's YESTERDAY. got tired of the problems with them...the slide on a previously repaired one started to crack. so i dumped them as a matched set.

so there. troll me or not. i don't care any more.

rjhauser - tired of a lifetime warranty that takes the pistol away more than you have it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

rjhauser said:
now I have NO p3at's in my posession (both home at Fla being repaired with more faulty parts)
RJ, I would caution you to not open the boxes when your P-3ATs are returned from Cocoa. Instead sell them immediately. There is no doubt that as soon as these two little critters are touched by your hands, they will immediately began to disintegrate :D

Wilson – who’s apologizing in advance but he just couldn’t help it ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts

guys Im scared to ask...but does anybody know of any J+++ guns that have not earned themselves a FL vacation due to the peeing issue? My "J" will be coming home with me on mon and I am getting nervous...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.