Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
View attachment 38196 Horribly disappointed and happy I didn’t shoot a seventh round! BRAND NEW! Fired 6 rounds, realized something was wrong, stopped immediately, firearm was broken.

View attachment 38200 This is a dangerous, poorly designed firearm and will eventually result in lawsuits. TERRIBLE PRODUCT!!

Whoa? Wow! Glad your ok? Any idea what happened? Factory ammo or reloads?

I would contact Kel-Tec first thing Tuesday since Monday is a federal holiday and give a full report of what happened. The main thing is I hope you did not get injured.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory ammo. No idea what happened. Was cold out, but only about 35-40 degrees F, not cold enough to expect it to break.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Factory ammo. No idea what happened. Was cold out, but only about 35-40 degrees F, not cold enough to expect it to break.
Keep us posted on what you learn from Kel-Tec. Again, glad you were not injured.
Could you rifle be apart of the Sub2k recall?
You can check your serial number on the the Kel-Tec website. It will tell you either way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I notice it cracked at the receiver collar end also. Does it go through the screw hole on the left side? I'm thinking faulty molding. Cold spots, I believe they call it. If it fired out of battery I imagine (I know nothing) there would be explosive looking damage. What does the bolt head and chamber look like? Show any damage or stress?
Above all you're ok. Good on your part to realize something was wrong and stopped. Pain for you, but no doubt Kel Tec will make it right. Most likely a whole new carbine. Maybe they'll throw a little extra your way for time and trouble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I truly appreciate all the replies Thank you. I’ve heard only good things about Kel-Tec Products and their support. I will be sure to update this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CECBE323-7759-422D-9C30-BB5A33CA288E.jpeg
6CBC7EAF-5EDF-4143-AB8E-E4DDB60A2B69.jpeg
Yes, barrel is clear. I think S/N is FZX18. On left, crack is through the number “2”, on right side, the crack is about 3/4” behind the safety.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
View attachment 38202 View attachment 38204 Yes, barrel is clear. I think S/N is FZX18. On left, crack is through the number “2”, on right side, the crack is about 3/4” behind the safety.
The only thing I can think of, is a double-charged round. It may not be, but I'd think seriously about tossing the rest of that box. Not worth $20 to worry about it.

·
17,747 Posts
I agree that it may have been a double charged round. We have seen very rare receiver breakages in my years of membership, but I only think I have seen a failure take out both sides of the receiver once before, and I believe that one was determined to be ammo related. Even a manufacturer with Hornady's excellent reputation can sometimes see a rare bad load. It doesn't help with your situation or damage, but Kel-tec will make it right.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Dont need +P with a 16". yure gettin close to .357 power already.
But, The SUB should have still been able to shoot it.
Have you been able to check the action spring? Barrel inner diameter? barrel flaws? heck, is it straight?
Does the bolt travel smoothly back with enough tension? Its more than 8 lbs.
Is there signs of the charge handle hitting the back of the tube slot?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts