One time failure to extract with critical defense.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cortty, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    While testing Hornaday Critical Defense today, I had one failure to extract(case still in the chamber and extractor behind case) in 50 rounds. It happened in the first 15 round. I fired the next 35 rounds with out a issue and fired 14 rounds of goldensabers. I have 500-600 rounds through my P3 with different ammo types and have never had this issue. The ejector screw is tight and gun was clean, lubed and greased. Is it possible that it could have been a problem with that one round? Could this be the start of a failing extractor or spring? I looked at the case that didn't extract and didn't notice anything unusual.  The extractor dosn't looked damaged. I just called the mothership and they are sending me a new extractor and spring that I'll install just in case. I was just wondering if anybody else had a one time issue.

Thanks
    Scotty

2. sr9shooter

sr9shooter New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Re: One time failure to extract with critical defe

I would tend to believe you just had a bad round. After 5 or 6 mags with no other failure I would not be worried until it happened again.

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

I was probably one of two things...

1. Most likely you inadvertently limp-wristed that particular shot.
    2. Less likely a bad round.

Bobo

4. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008

That is a possibility. It happened during rapid fire about 3 shot into the clip. I have a hard time keeping a solid grip during rapid fire drills. At first I didn't think limpwristing would cause failure to extract only failure to eject or feed, but after some reading I see it's a possibility . Thanks for the input.

5. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007

I wouldn't replace the extractor after one failure in 500-600 rounds. Why fix something that isn't broken. Throw the extra spring and extractor in your parts bin and save them for when you really need them.