One round magazine extension

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by hornmj, Jul 20, 2008.

1. hornmj

hornmj New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I installed one round magazine extensions to two of my p3at clips. I have fairly large hands so the addition of the extensions helped with my grip. The problem is both clips will only hold 6 rounds each with the mag extension. Haven't really looked into the problem but both clips only hold 6 rounds. Any ideas? Also purchased two 10 round clips for my p-32. For other than concealment I'm pleased with my purchase. I also purchased a Ruger LCP yesterday. Can't wait to compare. Way to early to tell but the gun I'd hate to part with the most is my p-32.

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Did you install them with the spacer outside the spine of the magazine tube?
    Mine hold 7 rounds.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Check this link:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magext.htm

It could be that the spring is hanging up somewhere. I have also see them where they just had to break in a bit before the 7th round will fit.

4. hornmj

hornmj New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I installed the plate with the leg of the plate pointed toward the top of the clip and to the rear of the clip.The leg of the plate is on the outside of the clip body. Seems like the magazine follower might be catching on the bottom of the clip body.

5. hornmj

hornmj New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    TxCajun, I replied before I saw your link about possible causes. I bet the follower is hitting the side of the new plate. Also , the new L-shaped plates I received in the mag extensions have a straight leg and not one with a slight inward bend. It doesn't seem like it is causing a problem loading my magazines but I will watch. I appreciate the information.

6. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Had the same problem. Take some sandpaper and smooth the outer edges of the bottom of the magazine follower. Fixed the problem

7. powwowell

powwowell Active Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I had the same problem. I bought the one round extension for two mags, but could only load seven in each mag. TxCajun suggested that I take a pencil, use the eraser end, and press down on the follower, of each mag, a couple of times. This fully compresses the mag springs. I was then able to load eight rounds into the mags.

Larry

8. CandRFan

CandRFan New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Hope you get the problem figured out. Adding the extension was a snap with no problems on the mags I bought for my P3AT.

9. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    + 1 on the light sanding of the follower edges.....gpr

10. poppo

poppo Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    FWIW, I picked up one of these and didn't like the feel of it. I don't think it really helps with the grip (vs the standard grip extension).