Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well when I got my PF-9 it ran flawlessly for over 300 rounds. Then a couple months back took it up shooting with some friends. I had been bragging about how my sub $300 gun worked like a champ and I dont know why they spent so much on their own guns.

Wouldnt you know it that is the trip my gun decided to start the dreaded FTEX. First it was with WWB. OK this I can live with. Lots of guys have issues with this ammo. I happened to have some other ammo that I had run without any issues previously. Yep same issue. :eek:

Went with the double extractor spring "fix" after reading about it on here. The factory screw was not long enough and dropped the firing pin so I had to get a longer screw and file it down.

200 rounds of WWB......zero issues.

Thought I would let you all know.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8_blwjmVyQ[/ame]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spoke to Keltec today regarding my PF-9 FTEing with WWB. I mentioned the double extractor spring fix. They stated it can cause the firing pin to jam in battery. I guess they would be apt to say that about something that is not a spec fix. Obviously as you stated a longer screw remedies this. Where did you get the longer screw and what clearance issues did you have to file it down to avoid? I happen to have two extra extractor assemblies with springs right here. All I need now is a longer screw and a dancing noFTE ammo medicine man to do the Keltec nojam juju Rumba when I test fire it. I believe primarily the dance helped stopped the FTE's and the mod helped a little too!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The factory screw is a #6-32x1/4" button head screw. My firing pin DID jam as KT described. So, I replaced the factory screw with a new stainless steel button head measuring #6-32x5/16". The extra 1/16" was all I needed. No issues with the firing pin now.

You may have a hard time finding a 5/16" screw. But, you can just get 3/8" and file/sand it down to 5/16".

-Brett

·
Registered
39 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you try polishing the chamber before adding the second leaf spring?

Oh, and I also liked the dance... gonna have to learn that one for the clubs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did polish the chamber and feed ramp before adding my second spring. I saw some improvement, but still experienced extraction problems at around 5% rate.

Zero extraction issues with the second spring added.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I did a polish job on it right out of the box. Thought I was good until I started getting the FTEX. Gun was clean and I was not fatigued or any of the other questions people always ask. It just got weak or something.

I got the 3/8" screw and filed it down. I would slowly tighten the screw while plunging the firing pin with my finger. If I felt any resistance I would remove the screw and file a little more until the firing pin moved freely while the screw was fully tightened.

Fired lots of rounds without any issues. Even tried a couple of mags one handed and weak handed. Not a single problem with even WWB. The gun is "fixed". :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried that the day I realized my original screw was not long enough. I tried it with my old spring though and it seemed kind of easy to bend by hand so I was not real surprised it didnt work. I didnt try it with a new spring though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Last year I bent my extractor spring into a slight arc. Then I polished the chamber three different times. Each of those actions improved the FTEx problem until it was gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two springs worked for me. Got a longer button head screw from Home Depot. I just placed it next to the original screw then cut it down to just a little longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When Keltec decides to work this fix into the manufacturing process, I'll buy another one! The one I had is already gone. Too many other great 9mm ccw guns out there that are great out of the box. I'm sure folks will chime in when Keltec decides to put a decent extractor in the PF9. A little over manufacturing can only help sales and minimize failures, which means less returns, improving brand reputation and loyalty. It's seems win/win......really!

I'll continue to check in though. This is a great site:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts