One more question for anyone using MILITEC-1

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by flonder22, Sep 2, 2007.

1. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    How many of ya`ll use the Militec-1 grease in addition to their Dry Impregnated Lubrication on your p-3s ? I have done 3 applacations each followed by heat from hair dryer and now wonder if I should add their grease to the rails and other places that usually get greased. Would this not somewhat defeat the purpose of using and heating the lub. to its dry, smooth finish ? What say ye, MILITEC-1 users ? :-/ Do most of ya`ll use the grease or not ? Thanks.

2. tjhjunk

tjhjunk New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    I use it.

A mechanic once told me, "any oil is better than no oil" maybe the same applies here ;).

Tim :cool:

3. KuduKing

KuduKing New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    I use Militec lubricant on all my pistols and carbines, altho I find FP-10 almost as good for pistols.  I have never bothered with their hot-gun/hairdryer nonsense:  clean it, lube it, carry it, shoot it - repeat sequence as needed.  Never had any lubricant related problems with either Militec or FP-10 (altho Militec is a bit more persistent and therefore I like it better).

I wouldn't recommend using ANY grease on properly fitted, externally lubricated parts - this includes anywhere on the slide, the frame rails, the barrel or the recoil spring/guide.  If you wanted to put some on the hammer/trigger bar internals go ahead, although I wouldn't recommend that particularly.  There is just not enough heavy-duty stress on those parts with the Kel-Tec pistols to warrant the trouble.  Grease attracts grime, dirt and particles, which act like a nice wet sandpaper when combined with grease.  Not exactly what you want to do to your tolerances.

IMHO, grease is best used on internally-lubricated parts that are not subject to regular amounts of fouling and/or grime.  And there are not too many of those on a firearm - the internals of a DA revolver come to mind as one example.  But even then, the grease needs to be cleaned out and reapplied every so often - once a year is a good idea.  The other use for grease is as a break-in on a tightly-fitted pistol, applied to the barrel lockup areas, slide rails, etc.  In that case, the grease is cleaned out at every cleaning and reapplied.

Use the Militec, hide the grease, give the hairdryer back to your female half, and enjoy life.  :)

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I use the Militec grease that they sent with a free sample years ago. It works fine although any decent grease would probably do the job. Some like firearms specific grease but many just use wheel bearing grease. And yes, grease has long been recommended on these ultralight pistols in several spots. It only takes a small amount. I apply with a Q-tip.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

5. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks for those replys you 3. I hope I can hear some more opinions, I know that a lot of you guys out there use and like MILITEC. :-?