One in the chanber

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jmsfmtex, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I am familiar with manual safety's and the internal safety of the Glock. How good is the internal safety on the P3AT? Should I carry with one down the throat and cocked? I purchased mine a few years ago but have never carried it seriously. I would like to carry it all the time as a back up to my Glock.

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    The hammer is half cocked and fully cocked by pulling the trigger.
    load it,holster it... it's safe.

3. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Hey, he said "cocked!"  Tex must have re-educated the net-nanny.

This subject has been discussed at length on this forum, and recently.

Speaking only for myself, I keep one in the pipe at all times while carrying.  The gun is designed to defeat the safety during the travel of the trigger.  The hammer is blocked and can't fire if dropped, as opposed to the P11, which can.

With a long trigger pull, and the trigger guard protected by a holster, you should be good to go.

The added motions of racking the slide in a defensive situation might get you shot.  

Most P3AT carriers I know keep one in the breach and a loaded mag.

--Plex

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The design of the P3AT makes it impossible to carry it "cocked." as the hammer is "cocked" with each pull of the trigger. The hammer block safety system is extremely drop safe, much like the glock. I have both and am far more comfortable carrying the P3AT than I am the glock. Mechanism safety (like the glock) combined with a long, strong trigger pull.

-Scott

5. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I always carry my Glock with one in the chamber. I totally agree that if you have to rack the slide you are too late. I will carry ready with the P3AT.

6. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Gents,

+1 on what's been shared here. I always carry one up the spout. I figure, if and when I need it, I'll have one less thing to worry about, not having to rack the slide. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

7. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    The gun would be much, much less useful carried with an empty chamber. Think of it like a revolver...the hammer is halfway down and you've got a nice long trigger pull.

To cheesily misquote Shakespeares Henry V:

"One round into the breech, dear friends, one round!"

8. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Nope, the nanny ain't right bright. The present tense of the verb "c o c k" is banned but any of the other forms, cocked, cocking etc slide right thru.

9. Corelogik

Corelogik New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I carry mine fully loaded. No problems or concerns.

10. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    6+1 all the time, in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster :)

11. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    didto... :) i feel a lot safer with the p3 than one in the tube on my AMT 380....gpr

12. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Same here. Sometimes I put it in a Superfly holster to mix things up a little. As said before, with the heavy long trigger pull, it's as safe as carrying a fully loaded modern double action revolver.

13. Buck

Buck New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    before I bought my Keltec 380 I had a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380. Last year I came home to find we had been robbed. Not knowing if anyone was still in the house I got my Colt out of truck and racked the slide only for the thing to jam on me. I'm watchin the door, tryin to get the jam out of the slide, and shakin like a leaf. No one was still in the house.

I carry one in the chamber at all times now. BTW the Keltec shoots much better than the Colt which I traded in for a Kimber 45 (my bedside gun).

14. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    +1 - The P3AT is just as safe as a revolver. For that reason, it is the only semiauto I'll use in thunderwear. Gotta be 100% safe - given where it's point'in :eek:

15. mkusanagi

mkusanagi New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    One in the pipe, definitely. I just got my P3AT in Nov and carried it in pocket without a round chambered until I got a pocket holster for it.

Incidentally, I put an Arma-Laser on it and find that an Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster (approx $13) works wonderfully for the combo.

16. Nope, the nanny ain't right bright.  The present tense of the verb "c o c k" is banned but any of the other forms, cocked, cocking etc slide right thru.
    [/quote]

Really? A firearms bulletin board and we cannot cock our guns?

Paul

17. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey guys. New here. Looks like a lot of great info so far. About this question...I am just carrying with the clip IWB for now. I do not have a pocket holster as of yet. Would you still say it is OK to keep one in the pipe. I have always just been kinda leery about this. Thanks for the info.

18. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
     Logan, Welcome to the forum. Like everyone has said, you need to carry with one in the pipe. I tried the clip carry but did not care for it, a lot of people here do. Pick up a pocket holster when you can. There are some good ones to be had for very little money. Sometimes I`ll use my pocket holster, sometimes I`ll just carry in front or back pocket without a holster, but you must do what you fill is safe for you. I also use an on the belt type holster and a Fobus paddle holster with shirt tail out or a jacket on. Thats one of the great things about the P-3, so many different ways to carry. But yes, carry with one in the pipe ready to go.

19. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I always carry with one in the pipe. Haven't started carrying a spare magazine, though.

20. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Logan, Welcome to the forum. Like everyone has said, you need to carry with one in the pipe. I tried the clip carry but did not care for it, a lot of people here do. Pick up a pocket holster when you can. There are some good ones to be had for very little money. Sometimes I`ll use my pocket holster, sometimes I`ll just carry in front or back pocket without a holster, but you must do what you fill is safe for you. I also use an on the belt type holster and a Fobus paddle holster with shirt tail out or a jacket on. Thats one of the great things about the P-3, so many different ways to carry. But yes, carry with one in the pipe ready to go.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I will start doing that, and if I shoot myself, I am coming back to yall...LOL. Nah, I will be fine. I need to go get me a good pocket holster. I have not had any problems so far though with the IWB carry. Hell, I forget it is there ;D