One handed shooting your P3at.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by B.N.Real, Nov 27, 2008.

1. B.N.Real

B.N.Real Guest

Do you practice shooting your P3at one handed?

I just read an outstanding magazine article that talked about how one handed shooting was far superior to two handed shooting because it left you able to deal with the environment and the threat with your gun free hand.

What do you think about the idea of one handed shooting of your P3at?

Any observations,opinions or experiences are appreciated.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I practice with a mix of two-handed, right-handed and left-handed and from less than ideal positions (gun not up to eye level, etc.) You never know.

3. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I think practicing all types of situations is good. One handed, weak handed, two handed, sitting, prone,kneeling, anything you can think of. The main thing is to be comfortable with your weapon if you are going to use it for self defense. I haven't had the chance to do much prcticing with my P3-AT, I just got it last Saturday,but I will definately put it through more paces this weekend at the range.

I am not LE now, but back in the mid to late 80's I was a reserve PO. I don't know what they make them do now, but back then when we shot to qualify in the academy we did everything including night shooting. Even when requalifying we had to shoot both strong and weak hand and baricade with each hand. It only makes sense to be prepared and capable in any situation.

You might also research how much motor skill loss there is in a stressful situation. All the more reason for a Kel-Tec loaded and ready to fire. No levers or switches etc, just one thing. Pull the trigger and BOOM.

4. xcop1105

xcop1105 New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    every one should learn to shoot one handed. you need a free hand as to not limit you options in any situations.

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I go to the range for both aimed and point shooting, 2 hands and one hand. Surprisingly, I hit a paper plate at 7 yards maybe 95% just point shooting. I think that's pretty good (for me) and suits me just fine for self defense.

Practice, practice, practice.

Rick

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes I do. Mostly with my strong hand but only a bit (I should do more) with my weak hand. Like to practice moving off the X and point shoot keeping my weak hand on my strong shoulder. I wonder what percentage of real life civilian SD shootings allowed for a Weaver stance and a two hand hold?

Take care...

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    can anyone realy get two hands on a p3at?

;)

8. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Yep, I would think that in most situations you'd be shot already if you took time to get in a good stance.

9. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I rarely take time to use both hands, when the CT laser dot is on target I squeze. If it is bright I point the painted orange dot on the front and squeze. I also like to shoot 2 or three rapid succession.... Jim <><

10. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    No laser yet, but I still practice double-tapping from the hip (at 4 yards only, hope to build up to 7), I practice point shooting and double taps at 7. Just for giggles I also practice some sight alignment accuracy attempts at 10 yards, during which I sometimes use two hands. Bottom line, 98% of practice (and I would imagine actual use) is one handed, I just shoot it better that way and makes it more useful as a pistol to me as I may have a light, keys, door knob or family member's hand in my other hand. All my guns see the majority of their practice one handed but the P3 by far exceeds the others in such a capacity. I would say everything else get 60-70% one handed practice.

That being said I need to practice off hand more or I could easily see myself becoming laser-dependent when I get it if not. :-/

11. WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    FL
    I'm going to practice one handed next time I goto the range

12. B.N.Real

B.N.Real Guest

Thank you for all the excellent replies.

I will also be doing extensive one handed shooting practice now at the range.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    about 90% of my shooting is done with weak hand, just pointing

14. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    One handed also makes FTE more likely IMO. Good to practice it for that reason alone.

A laser helps considerably with any kind of practice situation - because you can simulate shooting in your house, car, etc. Draw, point, laser on and see where the dot is. My experience with this has been that I start out a training session missing my targets, progress to hitting them consistently - only to back slide to missing at the start of the next training session.

So, the lesson for me is to not depend on being able to point shoot. Instead, make dang sure the laser is going to work if needed.

15. edpm3

edpm3 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    As reported by knowledgeable men who are way more scholarly than I am, the vast majority of citizens who use their firearms in self-defense never actually fire them in self-defense. Simply presenting the firearm with the resolve to pull the trigger if necessary is enough to discourage most aggressors. That implies that many, if not most who draw their handguns will have the opportunity to assume a good two-handed shooting position, which is ideal since shot placement is vital to ending a gunfight quickly in your favor. However, for those situations which are not diffused by the display of a firearm, or which develop so quickly that shooting immediately is the only chance for survival, then all shooting positions must be practiced again and again. There is a danger inherent in such practice. For example, practicing to shoot from retention while simulating holding off an aggressor with your weak hand places your weak hand in jeopardy if it is even just a little more downrange than your muzzle. A good instructor is most valuable in this type of training. Most of us don't get the opportunity to take tactical handgun training from top instructors but if you get the chance, don't pass it up.

16. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    The 2 handed shot with a handgun is the fore-hand cross court drive in tennis ... the most basic, easiest, most common and most anticipated.  To be effective during most encounters you'll generally need one or more of the others.

Once practiced sufficiently your brain will generally select a good shot for the situation with little or no conscious input ... just like tennis.  

Learn one hand shooting correctly ... class or written description.  There are better techniques than just whipping it out and popping off.  Accuracy will become amazing!

Practice correctly.

17. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I like to practice two handed shooting too. One in each hand that is ;)

18. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Being retired and home alot by myself, (wife still works, and carries) I find myself drawing, pointing, and seeing how close my pointing, then squezzing the laser button happen to line up. This is done in many situations like sitting, from the hip, aroung corners (shoulder high) and many other possible situation positions. I am very surprised how accurate the pointing has become, from this practice. At the range I do like to shoot for bulls eye without laser. I figure if I need to protect myself, it may not be in a ideal situation, and this works for me. My wife ususlly has better grouping, but she uses 2 hands, and no laser. This is a new hobby for her, I love it, we shoot together a lot, ourdoors club, and inside range members. Life is good. Jim <><

19. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I usually use a two-handed platform as part of fundamentals rehearsal. But if I am practicing for self-defense, I am usually shooting either dominant or weak-handed while doing the full-tilt boogie. :)

20. samson369

samson369 New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I practice all types of shooting myself, one hand, two hand, weak hand, but the one thing I make sure I also practice often is how I draw the weapon. You may be the best, most accurate shooter in the world, but it does you no good unless you can get it out and on target quickly and without shooting yourself in the process. Best advise I give to every one I teach is always carry your weapon in the same place all the time, muscle memory is your best friend when the defication hits the rotating oscilator!!