Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone else has a preference between the early pistols with the hexagonal-shaped slide versus the current ones with the larger square slide. I bought one of the newer ones when they first came out, figuring they were a product improvement over the older "1st gen" pistols. However I ended up actually liking the older one better and kept it instead of selling it. I just prefer the slightly smaller feel to it, plus my old one has been nearly flawless while the newer one has choked on a couple of occasions. I also shoot the old one way better, as it has a lighter trigger spring and is thus easier to keep on target. I can't shoot the newer one very well at all by comparison. Lately however I've been using the newer one as the range gun and the early one for carry, figuring that if the newer one breaks spare parts are a lot easier to source.

·
Premium Member
4,726 Posts
I bought a 1st Gen. when they came out. I've never had a problem with it so I've never had any reason to consider a 2nd Gen.

I do like the look of the hex stock better and I think that it probably CC's a tad easier but it probably doesn't really matter with such a small pistol.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have gen1 p32, will shoot anything. Its HC, bought it used. Big mag and 2 stock ones.. came with soft blue case. I love it, the gen 1's are better looking. Its the tightest keltec I have ever held.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have one of each. Asthetically, I prefer the angled top lines of the Gen I. To me, it forms a sight picture all on its own. I just like the lines better.

OTOH, one of my favorite cold weather carry modes is an OWB paddle holster, the FOBUS. The Gen I slide is ever so slightly narrower, and obviously at the top. So the holster doesn't fit quite the same. Not a retention issue, but it rattles.

Add in the question of parts availability, and I have to say given the choice between Gen I and II, I'd take the II every time.

I also shoot the old one way better, as it has a lighter trigger spring and is thus easier to keep on target.
If you mean the spring that makes the trigger pull stiffer on the Gen II, that's actually the hammer spring doing that. It's the same part Gen I & II. So your Gen I is probably just weakened over time. Next stop: light strikes and misfires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was on the fence for a while, since I do like the looks of the gen1 better. But, like Pinstriper, parts availability tipped my hand to the gen2. It has been perfect so far ~150 rounds downrange.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts