Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a PF9, Sub-2K, PLR-16 and SU-16 and used to post here a bit. But I had gotten rid of all of them for one reason or another. But today I finally picked up a PRM-30. I always wanted one since they first came out, but then started hearing about issues. Once those seemed to be resolved, it has been nearly impossible to find one locally that was not seriously over priced. Anyway, I finally found a new one at a price that I could live with. It still ended up being an impulse buy because as much as I wanted one, the pricey ammo is a turn off.

But it's mine now, and I just took it out back (I'm on 50 acres and have my own range) and put 50 rounds of Winchester through it without issues. I also picked up some Hornady and CCI and will try them later. I was just happy that it went bang every time. My wife who can limp wrist an all metal.22LR gun, put 10 rounds through it too without a problem.

Not sure if I will end up keeping it in the long run, but so far I am happy with it.

Oh, I was only shooting at hanging metal plates from about 25 yards and the hit ratio was only about 60%. I think it may be shooting a tad high, but it was also chilly out and I was shivering a bit. I'll have to shoot it at some targets from a rest to see just where the POA/POI actually is.

And I know the drill. Without pictures, it didn't happen. :)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It still ended up being an impulse buy because as much as I wanted one, the pricey ammo is a turn off.

But it's mine now, and I just took it out back (I'm on 50 acres and have my own range) and put 50 rounds of Winchester through it without issues. I also picked up some Hornady and CCI and will try them later. I was just happy that it went bang every time. My wife who can limp wrist an all metal.22LR gun, put 10 rounds through it too without a problem.

Not sure if I will end up keeping it in the long run, but so far I am happy with it.

Oh, I was only shooting at hanging metal plates from about 25 yards and the hit ratio was only about 60%. I think it may be shooting a tad high, but it was also chilly out and I was shivering a bit. I'll have to shoot it at some targets from a rest to see just where the POA/POI actually is.
I don't own one but if the latest consensus is any indication, you will love it.
The ammo is much cheaper now than during the :quote:drought:quote: of $1.85 per round to 28¢ per round for CCI in qty 50.
And cheap stuff is now beginning to populate local shelves across the country again:):
Ammunition Product Bullet Tobacco products Font

Most people wandering thru the group now with PMR problems, bought used ones that were several years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing that I like already is the ease of takedown and cleaning. I almost felt like I must have been missing something when it took so little time and effort.

I have been reading a lot of the threads here (yes some are old), but I see a lot of gripes about loading the mags. I'm not sure what all of the fuss is. Insert round, slide it back, repeat. I don't really find it any more difficult than other mags. Load a few .50AE Desert Eagle mags, and then tell me how hard these are. LOL

As for ammo, what is the latest on Armscor? Is it just the non USA made stuff to avoid?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
As for ammo, what is the latest on Armscor? Is it just the non USA made stuff to avoid?
Don't have any first-hand info since I don't own a .22 .
Haven't heard anything bad about the 22-mag Armscor other than the foreign-made stuff had dirtier burning powder and they had to clean their guns:rolleyes:.
This isn't a big problem in my book; like "hard-to-load" magazines:laugh2:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've no problems with the Armscor USA stuff but the older stuff was horrible about dumping sandy looking grit into mags and trigger assembly. I'm curious about the nickel plated rounds... never saw it before.. Very Interesting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My PMR-30 came with a note from the factory that armscor ammo was not recommended.
FWIW, the brand new one I just bought did not come with any such note. The manual just says to use USA made ammo and has a few recommendations.

I know there used to be some issue with Armscor, but I could find a definitive reason why it was not recommended in the first place. Plus I was asking because I wanted to know if it was still an issue now. At least one ammo site says not for use in the PRM-30. But again, my question is - why not?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I know there used to be some issue with Armscor, but I could find a definitive reason why it was not recommended in the first place. Plus I was asking because I wanted to know if it was still an issue now. At least one ammo site says not for use in the PRM-30. But again, my question is - why not?
Back then, there was only this:
Bullet Ammunition Tobacco products Tobacco Smoking

It gave Armscor a bad name because it was dirty.
They fixed the problem.
It is not to be confused with THIS:
Ammunition Product Bullet Tobacco products Font

...which is not dirty.
(notice the "Made in the USA"?)
That's why they can't say "don't use Armscor ammo" anymore.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.