Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

just shot my son's, Ruger 10/22 (he has upgraded with all the extras to resemble a RMR, with a 50 drum,

sooo, how will a RMR be different/better/same? it appears basically physically the same.. (will a extra 4spot pict/rail available over the barrell/available post manufacure???)

any basic thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My son has a tricked out 10/22 as well and I have to admit its a fun little gun to shoot. In my opinion the 22 Mag is a much better round compared to 22lr. I have a crop damage permit for the farm and have dispatched more deer with my 22 mag than I care to count. Not so sure I would feel as confident with a 22lr, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well first of all the RMR will chamber .22 Winchester magnum rimfire, I can only assume that your son's 10/22 is in long rifle because of the 50 rnd drum. If he does indeed have a 10/22 WMR then I would be very interested in knowing where he found the 50 rnd drum.
The 10/22 Lr. is almost unlimited in the amount of upgrades, accessories, and different configurations, especially where stocks are concerned. Sadly the Ruger 10/22 in the magnum round (same as the RMR) has very little choices in the area of stocks.
I have one of these rifles, and it too has upgrades, among those are a .920 bull barrel, a compensator, Volquartson solid billet 25 rnd magazines. (the only high cap mag that I've found that actually works) This rig probably is 12 inches longer than the RMR, and probably 5 pounds heavier, with 5 less rounds per magazine. These are just my thoughts, I have a couple of PMR-30's they function flawlessly. My name has been on a list for the RMR at my LGS where the pistols were bought (at a reasonable price), and I can hardly wait. By the way the Ruger 10/22 Magnums are selling (used) for about 50% more than the RMR's MSRP. "new in the box old stock" even more pricey with no upgrades al all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with Wolverine. I recently bought an old bolt action 22 wmr (revolution 107a that needed work) to get some experience with the mag in rifle form. I love my PMR and wondered how a mag rifle would compare to my 22lr rifles.
I love it so far. The trigger is about 10#s so that's not good but it is amazingly accurate at 100 yards..it has a 24" barrel. It has definitely spurred me to get on a waiting list for the RMR. I think the RMR will be just as much fun in its class as the PMR is!!! Now all we have to do is wait. :(:(

·
Registered
428 Posts
What is the RMR going to run for MSRP as an est.? Those 10/22's in magnum are going upwards of a grand on GB, WOW! There is three of them on there now that I could find. Never really looked into those but at that price I think I'll wait for the RMR. Plus, already owning a PMR I look forward to the magazine compatibility of the two. And thirty rounds is not a bad advantage either.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Remington still makes a 597 22 mag, new just over 400 bucks..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep A.O. is correct Remington manufactures a WMR. The overall length is still 40 inches, and very few aftermarket accessories, but at least they do have many models to choose from including tactical. When the RMR's become available (I have 2 pre-ordered at the LGS) my 10/22 magnum will go to the grandkids.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The 597 .22 WMR has a pretty lengthy history of problems. I know of several for sale locally that have been on the market for months.

I have had my eye out for a .22 WMR bolt gun, but would much rather have a PMR-30, RIA .22 TCM, KSG, or a host of other guns...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The 597 .22 WMR has a pretty lengthy history of problems. I know of several for sale locally that have been on the market for months.

I have had my eye out for a .22 WMR bolt gun, but would much rather have a PMR-30, RIA .22 TCM, KSG, or a host of other guns...
I had one, just sold it a few weeks ago to help fund my SU-16CA I just got..the 597 mag ran great!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had one, just sold it a few weeks ago to help fund my SU-16CA I just got..the 597 mag ran great!!
Are there any hi-cap mags available for the 597? If so I might consider getting one.
I've heard Remington will give you a $200 voucher if a 597 in .17HMR is sent in for service, and also that Hornady now says not to use this cartridge in any semi-auto. Haven't heard anything bad about 597 in .22 WMR

·
Registered
679 Posts
I see the lire of the RMR platform. But for the costs.

Like alot of guys, I have had 22 mag rifles and pistols for many years. They are a great lil round. I have also had 10/22's. Some have been souped up and all preformed perfectly. I wish I had bought a magnum version when they where more reset ably priced. ( always been expensive)

Marlin Savage and CZ make excellent bolt rifles in 22Mag. I have a old (1967 built) Marlin 782 that shoots under 1" at 100 if you do your part. I will never part with it!! I also have a H&R single shot in 22mag. These can be found very cheaply. Mine shoots Federal 50g bullets into a knot hole at 50 yards!!! Excellent survival rounds as they have plenty of power for large game ( under survival conditions) and not too much for small game. They will work for two legged defense ammo is cheaper than most CF stuff and a man can carry ALLOT!!!

Semi autos are fun, but don't discount the other actions where better accuracy may be enjoyed. This is especially true if you add a quality scope!

Here is five shots of CCI +V 30g ammo at 100 yards.

CW

·
Registered
35 Posts
CW Did you use a support/rest for those shots? I just bought a 1958 Western Auto 22mag and after some cleanup tried it out at 50 and 100 yards. With only a front support of sandbags and a 9x scope, it consistently placed the POIs to within a 1.0" diameter at 50 and 2.0" at 100. But they were all around the POA, not like yours. Yours look like they have no shooter variation to them. Very nice shooting!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Are there any hi-cap mags available for the 597? If so I might consider getting one.
I've heard Remington will give you a $200 voucher if a 597 in .17HMR is sent in for service, and also that Hornady now says not to use this cartridge in any semi-auto. Haven't heard anything bad about 597 in .22 WMR
Unfortunetly no larger capacity mags for the 597 mag..for the 22lr yes, mag no..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all for replies AND
i should have initally clarified 'my son's 10-22' is a 22LR (didn't know they made a ruger 10-22 mag)..

anyways, re: accuracy.. have you all seen the pictures by Oleg regarding accuracy of the RMR both w/ red dot sights and scope.. SWEET! extremely pleasing accuracy bar non,

and i am not sure the accuracy issue is a big as some might believe in a bolt vs auto rifle anymore..

i have debated getting a bolt .22mag, however, i will wait and see for myself on my RMR when it gets in my greedy hands.

cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fyi: also want input on the accessory side of the RMR vs 10-22, do you think there will be a quad rail to add length/coverage over the barrel? and what options/add on's would you recommend in theory? red dot vs. scope?? additional grips? etc.

thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
CW Did you use a support/rest for those shots? I just bought a 1958 Western Auto 22mag and after some cleanup tried it out at 50 and 100 yards. With only a front support of sandbags and a 9x scope, it consistently placed the POIs to within a 1.0" diameter at 50 and 2.0" at 100. But they were all around the POA, not like yours. Yours look like they have no shooter variation to them. Very nice shooting!
Oh yes, Sand bags on a stabil bench sitting. I can shoot pretty well, but never like that off hand at 100 with a "sporting" weight gun! LOL ;)

CW

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see the lire of the RMR platform. But for the costs.

Excellent survival rounds as they have plenty of power for large game ( under survival conditions) and not too much for small game. They will work for two legged defense ammo is cheaper than most CF stuff and a man can carry ALLOT!!!

Semi autos are fun, but don't discount the other actions where better accuracy may be enjoyed. This is especially true if you add a quality scope!

CW
I couldn't agree more! this is the very reason I am such a big fan of .22WMR!
I can carry 2- 25 rd mags, 6-9 rd mags for the 10/22 WMR, 12 full mags for the Grendel P-30s plus an additional 500 rnds. For my Mini 14's only 6 full 30 rd mags weigh about the same. If employing suppressive fire, the guy down range won't care if you are shooting .223, .22WMR, or .22Lr he's still going to keep his head down! (that's where my Calico M100 shines) While my 10/22 WMR is very accurate, the Winchester model 9422M (.22WMR) does better, and has no upgrades. Scopes on both.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I looked and looked for a Marlin 1894 22M lever. The couple I found where too hi priced. I had a couple opportunities on Winchesters thru the years, but held out for a Marlin.
I did buy a Ruger lever in 22M and quickly sold it... I also bought a Marlin 57 in 22M but it's action wasn't "rite" and I sold it off too.
I have shot a Henry that I was impressed with its accuracy but the "toy gun" feel turned me off.

I would also like to find a Marlin 22 auto to go with my Marlin carbines in 9mm and 45 acp.

CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Take a look at a Henry Golden Boy 22mag..not the toy feel at all, very pretty and a nice octaganal barrel to boot..we get em in at work from time to time..dont last long though..

·
Registered
595 Posts
I looked and looked for a Marlin 1894 22M lever. The couple I found where too hi priced. I had a couple opportunities on Winchesters thru the years, but held out for a Marlin.
I did buy a Ruger lever in 22M and quickly sold it... I also bought a Marlin 57 in 22M but it's action wasn't "rite" and I sold it off too.
I have shot a Henry that I was impressed with its accuracy but the "toy gun" feel turned me off.

I would also like to find a Marlin 22 auto to go with my Marlin carbines in 9mm and 45 acp.

CW
You probably should have jumped on those Winchester .22mags. They have really gone up in price. I love mine, not sloppy like their 30/30s. Prairie dogs and turtles beware.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts