Oil on primers... old argument?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Prostatix, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
  2. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    That's funny -- as soon as I saw your title, I was going to post that link.  That article made me feel a lot better about the tiny amounts of oil that may get on primers in my carry gun.

On the other hand, I once had a box of Blazer 357 ammo that had something wet (oil?) inside a few of the cases.  I ended up with one hang-fire (scary) and then a squib round (which I had to push back in with a dowel in order to open the cylinder).

I don't know how it happened -- must have been at the factory because the box and ammo looked clean & dry, and I stored it for only a few weeks in the original box before attempting to fire it.  I don't know what it was either, but the powder looked oily and was clumped together.

I didn't try to fire the rest of the rounds or pull any bullets -- I returned the ammo to the store.  So I'll never know how many were good/bad in the box.  (In hindsight, it would have been more informative and worth the money to pull all the bullets)

Definitely makes you realize it's important to try several (maybe even 50%) rounds from any box of ammo you intend to carry.   :eek:

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  4. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Excellent information :)

5. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for this excellent post!!!

6. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Wow!That guy sure did his homework!Now the double tapping at the end I think was foolish,but everything else was very precise and scientific.As a science major,I truly appreciate his thoroughness and use of scientific method.Good man! :cool:

7. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Well, I had never heard the theory that oil/lubricants would damage primers. I am not surprised at all by his results, but it never hurts to test these things out.

8. BigBoom44

BigBoom44 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    That Box-O-Truth sure has some great info, and they take the time to check out everything. They are kind of like Mythbusters.