Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My intent was to not clean for a while and do a ''dirty gun test''
I didn't get to the range this week end and I couldn't take it any longer.
The back of the trigger and the inside of the trigger gaurd were almost
Hazmat worthy as well as the magazine and internals.

A dozen Q-Tips later, I feel better :D

G

·
Rubb said:
My intent was to not clean for a while and do a ''dirty gun test''

I have found that a can of non-cholorinated high pressure brake spray cleaner from napa for about $1.69 will clean any place on those little guns with zero problems, dries instantly to, sure beat taking them all down and gets them cleaner than clean. this cleaner willnot hurt the polymer or any part of the handgun either. and the high pressure sure blows the crude out of those hard to reach places..

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip jocko,

I really don't mind the cleaning, just got to make it a weekly date.

I was amazed at the amount of build up

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
jocko said:
I have found that a can of non-cholorinated high pressure brake spray cleaner from napa for about $1.69 will clean any place on those little guns with zero problems,  dries instantly to, sure beat taking them all down and gets them cleaner than clean.  this cleaner willnot hurt the polymer or any part of the handgun either. and the high pressure sure blows the crude out of those hard to reach places..
Jocko - this sounds a whole lot better than $5/can. I'd hate to ruin a gun just because I read it was 'safe' on the internet (should see what a friend did to his clear coated wheels with oven cleaner). Have any support for the safeness of this?

-Scott

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Have any support for the safeness of this?
Would Jocko lie to you?  ;)

As I have often said here on KTOG, I have been cleaning guns with Auto brake cleaner for about 25+ years with never a problem.

It's the first thing I reach for when someone brings in a gun that hasn't been cleaned in years.

Keep it off of wood stock finish, cheap butt-plates, sight paint, ammo, and rifle scopes and there should be no problems.

rcmodel

·
Registered
366 Posts
How does the brake cleaner compare to Break Free and RemOil? It's obviously cheaper but it is better than the more expensive stuff? I've never used it on anything but brakes and I think I have several cans of it left over.

Thanks,

Reggie

·
Registered
715 Posts
jocko said:
[quote author=Rubb link=1195517242/0#0 date=1195517242]My intent was to not clean for a while and do a ''dirty gun test''

I have found that a can of non-cholorinated high pressure brake spray cleaner from napa for about $1.69 will clean any place on those little guns with zero problems,  dries instantly to, sure beat taking them all down and gets them cleaner than clean.  this cleaner willnot hurt the polymer or any part of the handgun either. and the high pressure sure blows the crude out of those hard to reach places..[/quote]

I'm with jocko on the non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I use it on most of my guns unless they have fancy wood grips or stocks. It says right on the can [mine came from Wal-Mart] that its safe for use on plastic. 

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
How does the brake cleaner compare to Break Free and RemOil?
It doesn't compare at all, because it's not used for the same purpose.
Brake Cleaner is, uh, Cleaner.
Oil is uh, Oil!

Use the brake cleaner to blast off all the crud, old oil, powder, etc.

Then use the Rem-Oil, CLP, whatever to re-lube the gun.

rcmodel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.