Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few minutes to get out of the office this afteroon and "play" in the yard.  I put down two bags of spring fertilizer and a bag of over-seed.  Front yard is where the kids play - the other three acres we can mow weeds!  The weather was nice and I was out in running shorts and a tshirt.

While putting things away over by the wood pile this big 18" fir round was up on end and jumped out at me.  I just had to pull out the P3AT from my smartcarry and let off 8 rounds into it from about 8 feet away.  2" group without really aiming.  I would have done 6 more but I have this thing about shooting everything and walking back to the house with an empty gun.  I must have been doing something wrong as I had no failures in all 8 rounds so take that you nay-sayers!  If it would have been a BG my weapon would have worked just as it is supposed to!!   ;)

My ears are still ringing, however.  Must remember to at least tuck a couple of foam ear plugs in the smartcarry.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Was the log threatening you? Did you have justification to shoot it?

Were you using JHP or FMJ and did the rounds penetrate to the optimum 18" (well 12" in wood)?

I'll have more questions after you answer these, but inquiring minds want to know the answer to those first two right now! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
We're still waiting for the answers to the first questions?

Here's more:

If JHP did they expand?
How much did they expand?

If FMJ did they overpenetrate?

Go recover those bullets and let us know. ;)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hutch01 said:
Was the log threatening you?  Did you have justification to shoot it?

Were you using JHP or FMJ and did the rounds penetrate to the optimum 18" (well 12" in wood)?

I'll have more questions after you answer these, but inquiring minds want to know the answer to those first two right now!    ;D ;D ;D
Well, it wasn't lunging exactly...but it did act like it was going to roll off the pile and squash my foot so I guess it wood be a justified shooting.

FMJ (uh oh, one DPX, 7 FMJ - forgot what was in the chamber...)

Penetration (and expansion) and Recovery - um, bring an axe and sledge hammer and a maul and I'll point you in the right direction and after you have split enough you might find them. ;D

Un parked, very polished barrel.

More?

Let's critique this one so we can all benefit from each other's experience.

-Scott

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
markster said:
It's not log hunting season right now.  ;D
Well, I do have a wood cutting permit???

-Scott

Edited to add: HEY - LIGHT BULB GOES ON! KTOG Gathering at my place. I'll set up all these rounds and draw lines where I want them split. With enough people shooting we could save some work! But no leaving unshot cartridges around...(said in best Eddy Murphy (or was it Steve Martin?) voice - "All Right - Who put the bullet in the furnace?)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
barnettbill said:
I hope the People for the Ethical Treatment of Fir Trees don't hear about it.
::)
Me too - but I am guessing some city folk did... Our property borders a state park and I am guessing there was some city folk in the park. About 25 minutes after I was shooting two, yes TWO (big news around here) state police cars were driving down the road real slow like.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Scott

G

·
adamsesq said:
Me too - but I am guessing some city folk did...  Our property borders a state park and I am guessing there was some city folk in the park.  About 25 minutes after I was shooting two, yes TWO (big news around here) state police cars were driving down the road real slow like.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

-Scott
Luckily I live outside the Abilene city limits. I can go right outside and shoot against a dirt berm right next to the house. The neighbors are cool about it 'cause they do the same thing. Texas is soooo cool.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
barnettbill said:
Luckily I live outside the Abilene city limits. I can go right outside and shoot against a dirt berm right next to the house. The neighbors are cool about it 'cause they do the same thing. Texas is soooo cool.
Us too - given what a lot of people here talk about "waiting to go to the range to test this out..." I feel really lucky.

I know all the state police around here pretty well (they rent part of our fire station for their barracks) so they probably would have wanted to shoot my logs too if I had still been out there when they drove by.

-Scott

·
Registered
146 Posts
[quote author=adamsesq ]...and let off 8 rounds into it from about 8 feet away. 2" group without really aiming.

I once had an NRA instructor crush my equally tight-grouped ego by saying so many bullets into virtually the same hole did little extra damage to a bad guy's vitals. He said I needed to spread them around the center mass more. Anyone agree?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
onefunzr2 said:
...and let off 8 rounds into it from about 8 feet away.  2" group without really aiming.

I once had an NRA instructor crush my equally tight-grouped ego by saying so many bullets into virtually the same hole did little extra damage to a bad guy's vitals.  He said I needed to spread them around the center mass more.  Anyone agree?
I would totally agree if you were shooting a standing still target with a viced rifle... In any SD situation both you and BG are going to be moving so much that shooting a good tight group now is nothing more than proof that you are going to be able to generally hit what you are aiming at about 20% of the time!

-Scott

G

·
onefunzr2 said:
I once had an NRA instructor crush my equally tight-grouped ego by saying so many bullets into virtually the same hole did little extra damage to a bad guy's vitals.  He said I needed to spread them around the center mass more.  Anyone agree?
I can't get that image of Goldie Hawne in "Death Becomes her" out of my head. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.