1 - 20 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Phideaux 2016 shoot
Sept 30, Oct 1, Oct 2 (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Kuttawa, KY

Come one, come all. This is a fantastically fun get together for KTOG'ers, family and friends that is now in it's fifth year! Join us for shooting, camaraderie, food, campfires...

We hope to see everyone there this first weekend of October!

Hotel info

Hampton Inn
1-270-388-5777
62 Days Inn Drive, Kuttawa, Kentucky, 42055

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/kentucky/hampton-inn-kuttawa-eddyville-KUTKYHX/index.html

KTOG discount (you must mention "KTOG" when booking to get the discount). $105 per night for a two double-bed room. This discount was negotiated from Sept 28 through October 4, but you may be able to extend your stay at the same rate if you ask.

This is a nice hotel that many of us have stayed at for several years of Phideaux events. It is about a five minute drive from Phideaux's place. They have very good breakfasts included in the room rate (not just the dry sweetrolls other hotels have). Excellent coffee. And they bake and put out cookies each day.

There are other accommodations in the area. You can use Google to search for things in Kuttawa or Eddyville Kentucky if you'd like to look. But the majority of our group will be at the Hampton. Breakfasts there are a social get-together for us!

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Official "Who's Coming" post

This super fun event is open to all KTOG'ers and friends. Come join us in Kentucky, we'd love to see you. You'll have a blast!

Last updated June 8, 2016

phideaux - Jim (KY)
phideaux's wife - Brenda (KY)
phideaux's friend - Dennis (KY)
phideaux's friend - Dale (KY)
phideaux's friend - Jimmy (KY)
phideaux's friend - Jerry (KY)
haertig - Dave (CO)
wizard92 - Gary (FL)
wizard92's wife - Mindy (FL)
cyberscoper - John (TX)
supervisor42 - Andy (AL)
darthpaul - Paul (FL)
fundy - Bill (AL)
uniongap - Glenn (GA)
uniongap's wife - Barbara (GA)
burley - Joe (KS)
buzzsaw - Allen (GA)
buzzsaw's friend - Ura (GA)
850sub - Jamie (FL)
850sub's friend - Linda (FL)
guru2sum - Gary (WI)

We have several maybe's as well. Let us know when your "maybe" firms up to a "likely" or a "yes" and we'll add you to the list.
FWIW, there are a dozen "maybe's" I'm tracking, ranging from "probably" to "unlikely, but haven't said a final no yet". And there are a half-dozen ???'s I'm tracking - previous attendees who I've sent PM's to, but not heard back from. And I expect we'll have some new folks attending, who haven't made themselves known yet!

This list is not a formal commitment, things come up, we know that, it's just our best guess at a list of attendees. It will be updated with additions and removals as time goes on. The "confidence level" of the list will increase as we move towards Fall.

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
CyberScoper - John

Can take a couple passengers. Will show up with at least 1 guest.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Got some NEW steel to shoot at this year, will be buying even more, and lots of steel pipe to hang it from .

Yep...you guys bought us some steel for this year... I just got to get my butt in gear and get it set up and take some pics.

:yahoo:

Jim

btw....firewood a plenty, already there , some may need cutting up a little though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Got some NEW steel to shoot at this year, will be buying even more, and lots of steel pipe to hang it from .

Yep...you guys bought us some steel for this year... I just got to get my butt in gear and get it set up and take some pics.

:yahoo:

Jim

btw....firewood a plenty, already there , some may need cutting up a little though.:rolleyes:
I'll be there on Thursday, you still got a GAS chainsaw?

Gary

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I do..........

used it 3 days this week, works better than me.;)

Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Put me down as a possible. I have to ask for the time off work but that shouldn't be an issue. Wife has half way given her blessing so it 6 months off so things may change but fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
404 Posts
CyberScoper - John

Can take a couple passengers. Will show up with at least 1 guest.
I'm also in the SATX area. From what I've read this sounds like a fun trip to make. As we get closer to the timeframe assuming you have room I might take you up on the extra passengers offer.

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
I'm also in the SATX area. From what I've read this sounds like a fun trip to make. As we get closer to the timeframe assuming you have room I might take you up on the extra passengers offer.
Sent you a PM.

You will have the time of your life with some really great people.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Them doctors are nuts...:rolleyes:;) that wifi atomic device is still working..:)
I'm still tickin.

I got a question...help me out here.

It seems that he steel plates are the favorite targets, so I think we need lots more.

At present, I have 3 of the 12"x16" silhouette steel plates, 3 3", 3 4", 2 6", 1 8", 1 10" round steel pates . all primered ,painted with straps , ready to hang. All AR500 steel. I have tested and found that large tow strap is good for hanging these plates , strong , easy to use, and takes a beating, and is cheap. Holes for mounting are burned in with soldering iron..... washers , bolts, nuts are cheep too.

I have replaced some boards with pipe and going to replace some more. Gonna leave some boards up for other targets. Seems we learn as we go, and the target area is slowly being revised to our liking.

I'm getting ready to order some more plates.

I am leaning toward some more 6" plates, maybe a few 4" plates for handgun shooting.

Should I just order all 6" plates ? or mix in some 4" and 3" ?

What yall think?

Jim

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would think 6" would be fine. I don't shoot at steel for accuracy (use a paper target for that). If you want to make the steel harder to hit, you can buy 4" ... or you can just move your 6" out farther. And the farther out for steel, the safer it is. So I think 6" would be more versatile.

For hanging straps, you might call your local fire station and see if they have any decommissioned fire hose that they're planning on throwing away. That stuff is strong. They used to give it to us for free back in my rock climbing days. We'd cut a four foot piece of it and run our rappelling ropes inside the hose (as a sleeve) where they went over the cliff edge - protected the rope from abrasion on the sharp edges.

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
6 inch is a good size, and 4 inch works for me as well.

I've also found the used conveyor belt material Beastly sent up last year with Fundy makes excellent hangers for steel targets. Cut to size. Drill appropriate sized and positioned holes in both ends. Bolt one end to the target plate. Mount the other end over J hooks on your rail, or J hooks that mount to a sleeve that rotates on the rail.

Easy to re-position or remove for painting or repair. You can also use nails, studs, or screw-in J hooks, if you have a wooden rail.

Definitely none of the belt material I brought back last year is going to waste. That stuff has hundreds, if not thousands of uses. Dad would be proud. :eek:

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I wish I had some of that rubber belt stuf.

I got rubber belt but its too thick and has steel cords in it, really hard to cut.

I got to try that fire hose idea also.

I'm just hanging bit on pipe or rebar..
Just loop it and slide it on.

Like the one Wizard 92 had ....oh crap... I just remembered ...he left that setup in the barn.:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The fire hose if looped and left free swinging should work as well as the conveyor belt. If bolted at the top we got alot of splatter and back blast from it, not enough give. Paul was able to get alittle of the good stuff last year. Maybe give him a shout and I'll start lookin.
Yep the steel setup is in your barn in that old Jeep bag and the legs in that nice(made by my girls) canvas bag.
Gary

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I bought and still have a bunch of used fire hose, 2.5" double jacket is about 4.5" flat from memory. I have a least 2 types of rubber that DarthPaul brought up and that were eventualy delivered to me.

If you cut a couple of 1" slits in the end of the flattened hose about 1-2" from the end you can run 1/2" black pipe or rebar through the holes. Fast and saves on bolts.

You can get grade 8 and grade 5 bolts, split ring and flat washers, nylock nuts, etc. at Tractor Supply, sold by the pound.

Most people struggle with plates smaller than 6", especially at any distance. I'd suggest a smaller # of larger plates, you can always put them further away. Yu only want small steel so close on the other hand...

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hey guys, I've a couple of thoughts here. For the steel you might look into a group buy of a more pricy piece. I've really enjoyed my dualing tree. They make heavy caliber plate racks that reset themselves. Not needing to go down range to redo something is critical on a bigger range like Fido's.
check out the video on this page:
http://www.salutetargets.com/new-pr...Rack-Steel-Target/p/39591408/category=9400005

The other point is about the release that gets signed. You might want to bounce this off Lucas or someone else who knows what they are talking about but I think these issues should be there:
By signing, I am stating that it is legal for me to shoot and be around guns. (non-felon)
........................................all the guns I have brought are legal. If any need federal stamps (full auto) those stamps are valid and in with me.
.........................................All the guns I have brought are in safe working order.

Again, like the existing waiver, this is to give Jim and Brenda cover. Those who have already signed a release once don't need to do it again, but if a change is made they would need to sign the new one.

lop

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me throw a thought out there, to build on lop's suggestion. Every year we take up a collection for Jim and Brenda, as a show of appreciation. The last GOOD gift was when lop got Jim that 1911. Lately, since I have been taking up the collection, well, I'm boring - so we just end up with cash. Jim always says he doesn't need it, but that's not the point - we love to show our appreciation for all that Jim and Brenda do for these shoots. It is not trivial hosting something like this, no matter WHAT Jim says.

So my thought is, and others have suggested it as well, is we pool our normal contributions ahead of time and come up with some good "group purchases" for the shoot. Like lop's suggestion of more dueling trees (having a couple of those would be really fun - except when shooting against Beastly). These would be Jim's to own, store, sell, and use as he wishes, but the group could use them at the shoot. lop has a clay thrower, and Cyber bought that fancy model he brings, and those things are a big hit. Another thought might be a "shooting shack". A Tuff Shed type of thing. Alternately, one of those semi-permanent large shades that are used as car ports - heavy duty and maybe 10 feet by 30 feet. But I don't know if Jim would want one of these semi to fully permanent structures down on his range. I don't know if they make outdoors "target pullers" like they have at indoor ranges. A mechanical/electrical thing that moves your targets downrange and back to you while you sit on your butt at your shooting bench. A high-end spotting scope, if Jim already doesn't have one, might be a good thing too. One that is high enough quality that you can actually SEE something at the far end. The kind that we wouldn't necessarily afford for ourselves individually, but as a group buy for Jim to own/maintain would be a piece of cake.

Just some thoughts. It's not like it's really a secret that we'll do a collection no matter what, and highly unlikely that we will listen to Jim's words of "I don't want anything". We appreciate this great thing that Jim and Brenda provide us every year. So might as well be open to discussion and get/do something that Jim can actually use and might be fun to have at the shoot as well. Dueling trees, high end spotting scopes ... lots of potential ideas out there. Let's hear some others!

1 - 20 of 547 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.