Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

% of failures

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Nu_Agin_Shooter 
Wow your kidding right? I am an aerospace machinist and in a machine shop that is unacceptable. I make commercial jet engine parts.. 3-5% failure you do the math.

We also make military parts more specifically tank drive shafts. 3-5% failure in combat you do the math.

Years ago I worked at a company that made GM and Ford front end suspension parts. Through Ford Q1 we were allowed 1 part per million. 3-5% front end failures in auto manufacturing you do the math.

What is your product that at a rate of 42-48 units a year you have a failure of 5%. You must sell to the government.

What Kel-Tec is doing is sloppy machine work. There are manufacturing ways to bring defects to less than .5%

Deadeye said:
So you are telling me that in your machine shop no one has ever set up a machine incorrectly and did several units before this was discovered?
In any case I feel no more need to discuss this issue. Happy shooting.
We do first articles so the answer is no. The first part is "bought off" by inspection and the following parts are documented. Worst case is the first part is bad. In process inspection prevents continuing the run if there is a problem in the middle of the run. There are simple forms of documentation that holds the machine operator responsible to the part they are running. I wish what I did was as easy as drilling a hole.
"I feel no more need to discuss this issue" You don't have to get snippy I was stating my opinion that is based on 22 years experience and I didn't mean to make you mad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.