Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing story of my SU..scope on, scope off, waiting for a new riser rail so the scope is off again, I had removed my rear sight trying to get the scope set up but put it back on and went out to sight it back in.
Let me start with 40 rounds and perfect function..got it sighted in..( as well as I can with these old eyes and iron sights) and thought I'd see what difference the POI was with and without the bipod..I did this several times and always the same, using a rest with the forend closed it was all close to the bull...now opening that same forend up and using the bipod wants to raise the POI from about 1 1/2 -2"(at 50 yards)...seemed a little odd to me, but I guess with the bipod closed there are 2 places on the gun its making contact as oppose to just one when its opened..

And when I get the scope set up I can get more accurate results...Whats your experience with this?

·
Registered
401 Posts
when the bipod is closed, it stresses/tensions the barrrel, when open, that stress is relived; that means the barrel vibrates differently in each situation! Even minor changes will reflect noticeably. I just don't bother unfolding my bipod, it's not all that useable or steady.
fwiw, ymmv
bob

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Continuing story of my SU..scope on, scope off, waiting for a new riser rail so the scope is off again, I had removed my rear sight trying to get the scope set up but put it back on and went out to sight it back in.
Let me start with 40 rounds and perfect function..got it sighted in..( as well as I can with these old eyes and iron sights) and thought I'd see what difference the POI was with and without the bipod..I did this several times and always the same, using a rest with the forend closed it was all close to the bull...now opening that same forend up and using the bipod wants to raise the POI from about 1 1/2 -2"(at 50 yards)...seemed a little odd to me, but I guess with the bipod closed there are 2 places on the gun its making contact as oppose to just one when its opened..

And when I get the scope set up I can get more accurate results...Whats your experience with this?

Thats the norm with the bipod deployed. The POI will change on most guns if they are not free floated and the pressure or weight of the weapon rests on a different place on the barrel. I always zero using a sand bag or shooting rest and try and support the forend at the same place as to try and keep the pressure as close to the same as possible.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the norm with the bipod deployed. The POI will change on most guns if they are not free floated and the pressure or weight of the weapon rests on a different place on the barrel. I always zero using a sand bag or shooting rest and try and support the forend at the same place as to try and keep the pressure as close to the same as possible.

Bam Bam
Yeah I understand all that, seems like its more of a POI shift than I would have thought is all..I'll be able to tell more when I get the scope up and running..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts