Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a right-handed shooter with a gen 2 S2K with open sights. Recently my dominant eye (right) has developed an almost constant foggy floater. Really messes with my sight picture. (The left eye is still good)

I have yet to try to shoot the S2K left-handed and left eyed. That maybe the solution.

Can you recommend a red dot or scope mount that would allow me to shoulder the gun as a right-handed shooter but put the optic in alignment with my left eye? I am not opposed to removing the optic mount to allow folding.
Thank you

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am a right-handed shooter with a gen 2 S2K with open sights. Recently my dominant eye (right) has developed an almost constant foggy floater. Really messes with my sight picture. (The left eye is still good)

I have yet to try to shoot the S2K left-handed and left eyed. That maybe the solution.

Can you recommend a red dot or scope mount that would allow me to shoulder the gun as a right-handed shooter but put the optic in alignment with my left eye? I am not opposed to removing the optic mount to allow folding.
Thank you
I have an eye condition which makes using iron sights difficult with my right eye. I played with scope mounts and invented a set up that allowed me to continue shooting right handed using my left eye. I posted a couple of pics on here of my set up. There are scope rings available that allow for offset scope mounting. I suggest you look up my posts and see if it gives you any ideas.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know that this has nothing to do with gun stuff, but I have been taking serrapeptase and It has helped to get rid of eye floaters. Don't know if you've tried anything like that or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oldynotmoldy, I did take a look at you previous post. Good ideas. Thanks

Greg, I will look into the serrapeptase. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Yeah, the obvious answer to me is to fix the eye, not the gun. Go to any eye doc.

There is to much out there other than gun sights that are worth seeing.

Lop

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Ok, I'm not glad you are having issues, I am glad you took the 'fix the eye' route first. My eye doc told me if I get floaters to get to her as fast as possible.

You might look for stuff under 'cross eye dominate' or things close to that. Many have the dominate eye and hand on different sides. Their solution may be yours too.

Lop

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am seeing an area that is out of focus moving left to right and sometimes right to left. It is intermittent. I have considered it is a side effect of rheumatoid arthritis medication(s) I take. I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my rheumatologist next week. He may know something about the meds side effect. I will see my eye doctor for my annual check up in a couple of months. This problem only started to occur about two weeks ago. No new meds recently, but I am thinking long term use of a two that I take might have an accumulative effect.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The serrapeptase is also used for rheumatoid arthritis and cataracts. Some people get upset stomachs from it though. Here's a pic of the brand I get off Amazon and my brand new sub2000 I picked up this morning. It's kind of awkward to shoulder compared to my other rifles and my hearing protection makes it hard to get my head down enough to get a good sight picture. Might have to make an adjustable stock for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
I took my wife to the ER this past Tuesday kwith cloudy vision and floaters in her right eye, hoping it was nothing worse than that. They couldn't find a tear in the retina and sent her home with a referral to a local ophthalmologist for follow up. The end result was her being told that the vitreous humor in the eye thickens over time and becomes resistant to movement (like jello when it sets up) and little pieces can break off (floaters) or a large section can move, changing the portion you are accustomed to looking through. It is apparently a normal part of the aging process and can happen any time with no discernible cause. It also can take weeks or months to resolve itself, and for the person to adapt to the cloudiness and floaters. Should the condition persist or worsen, the only real option is to remove the jello and replace it with a saline solution in a procedure called a vitrectomy. Floaters are not something to ignore. If they persist or get worse, get help.

·
Grand Poobah
1,396 Posts
The serrapeptase is also used for rheumatoid arthritis and cataracts. Some people get upset stomachs from it though. Here's a pic of the brand I get off Amazon and my brand new sub2000 I picked up this morning. It's kind of awkward to shoulder compared to my other rifles and my hearing protection makes it hard to get my head down enough to get a good sight picture. Might have to make an adjustable stock for it.
Shouldering the Sub 2K can be a bit weird. Bringing my face down to the gun doesn't work for me. So I do it like one might do a shotgun. Put the stock against your shoulder, then bring the rifle up to your cheek. This will be like you are aiming upwards at about a 45 degree angle, and the sights should align pretty easily. Then, keeping the rifle fixed to your cheek and the sights aligned, lean forward to bring the sights down onto the target. I feel like I'm reaching forward with my neck when I do this, but I end up in a pretty good shooting stance. Eventually you will be able cut out or combine these steps.

I might have to try that serrapeptase. My floaters aren't real bad, but occasionally I find myself swatting at gnats or mosquitoes that don't exist. You indicate you are in northeast Georgia. I'm in Athens.

Backpacker57, my mother has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes at least one drug that can harm the eyes (Plaquenil). It can cause retinal damage, so you might ought to see your eye doctor sooner rather than later and get with your rheumatologist about it.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
196 Posts
Shouldering the Sub 2K can be a bit weird. Bringing my face down to the gun doesn't work for me. So I do it like one might do a shotgun. Put the stock against your shoulder, then bring the rifle up to your cheek. This will be like you are aiming upwards at about a 45 degree angle, and the sights should align pretty easily. Then, keeping the rifle fixed to your cheek and the sights aligned, lean forward to bring the sights down onto the target. I feel like I'm reaching forward with my neck when I do this, but I end up in a pretty good shooting stance. Eventually you will be able cut out or combine these steps.

I might have to try that serrapeptase. My floaters aren't real bad, but occasionally I find myself swatting at gnats or mosquitoes that don't exist. You indicate you are in northeast Georgia. I'm in Athens.

Backpacker57, my mother has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes at least one drug that can harm the eyes (Plaquenil). It can cause retinal damage, so you might ought to see your eye doctor sooner rather than later and get with your rheumatologist about it.

buzzsaw
I'll have to try that out this weekend. I'm a bit further north than you, live in Cleveland but work in Dahlonega.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thank you
Yes, a Sig Romeo 5 will work

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While buying groceries today, I noticed I was seeing serious double images with my right eye. I called my optometrist office and the had me come in immediately. After several photos were taken of my eye and an exam by the doctor, I was told I have a retinal tear. My doc's office made an appointment with an eye surgeon for early tomorrow morning.
I would appreciate your prayers a successful repair. Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
While buying groceries today, I noticed I was seeing serious double images with my right eye. I called my optometrist office and the had me come in immediately. After several photos were taken of my eye and an exam by the doctor, I was told I have a retinal tear. My doc's office made an appointment with an eye surgeon for early tomorrow morning.
I would appreciate your prayers a successful repair. Thanks
Prayers offered for a speedy and complete recovery. Be patient, it doesn't happen on our schedule.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts