odd FTF problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by heavyhawk, Mar 21, 2011.

1. heavyhawk

heavyhawk New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    On the second-to-last-round of every magazine load, I get a failure to feed. It jams the bullet into the upper edge of the chamber and crease the nose on my Federal American Eagle FMJ.

All other rounds before and after this one in the magazine work fine, just the second-to-last jams EVERY time.

While jammed, if I rap the slide, it finishes feeding the round and works fine.

I have only the magazine that came with it, or I'd test it with another one. Magazine spring tension or something?

Any ideas on how to fix it?

2. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Because of the consistency of it I think it sounds like a mag issue, but before we condemn the mag you should try the F&B or at least polish the feed ramp to see if the helps the concern. It also could have a weak guide spring but I don't think so b/c of the consistency.

3. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Have you disassembled and cleaned the mag?  Also, maybe the mag spring is in backwards and the follower at that point isn't in the correct position.  Those are my only ideas  :-/

4. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    plus one. check and clean the mag.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Get another magazine. Most likely a new mag won't have this problem but you need to be certain whether it's the mag or the gun. That said, my minimum number of mags for my guns is three. That way if one of my mags goes bad, my guns are out of commission until I can find another mag. It also means that, heaven forbid, if my mag fails in a gunfight, I'm not left defenseless. With at least another mag, I can drop it and reload. But, I also make sure I have a BUG on me unless the way I'm dressed won't permit that. That way I have a second gun. should my primary fail.

6. heavyhawk

heavyhawk New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    I'll clean it out this weekend. Thanks for the idea!

7. Herb_Tarlek

Herb_Tarlek New Member

May 29, 2011
    I started having the exact same problem today ( ftf on second to last round). This happened w/ Blazer (7 out of 7 magazines), and American Eagle ( 1 magazine out of 7) in both of my two new magazines .

This is a new hard chrome p3at (purchased two weeks ago). I put 200 trouble free rounds through it last week (Winchester White box, PMC Bronze, Hornady CD) for break in. Polished ramp with jewlers rouge/dremel.Gun clean and lubed up.Mag springs installed properly. Totally clean mags. This is not my 2nd p3at so I'm familiar with limp wristing issues.

Could this simply be incompatible ammo? Would the stronger Wolf mag springs help? Did you find a solution HeavyHawk?

Thanks!!!!!

8. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
  9. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

+1.