Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Everything listed by you guys in this thread is usually on my player. Rory, Moodys, Waits, Bowie and more. No one mentioned Robin Trower or Savoy Brown. A new guy to listen to is Patrick Sweany, Kingfish Ingram and Samantha Fish.

That list of the 25 underrated rock bands of all times is a lot of my playlist too. The Kinks are a favorite. Bowie said "there is no such thing as a bad Kinks song." I am glad to have seen them in concert.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"Rumble" was one of the featured songs in "Pulp Fiction", as was Dick Dale's fantastic "Misirlou". If you don't know the song, and like great guitar, check I out......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4eEqN4HY7Q

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
No one mentioned Robin Trower
I wouldn't have. IMO guitar gods like Trower, Ted Nugent, George Thorogood, Hendrix, Edgar Winter & Jeff Beck still have such regular rotation on classic rock radio they are still well known today. They have those one or two signature songs that everybody knows.
I would agree that the majority of their material is eclipsed by those hits. That would qualify as obscure.

BTW, I saw a guy who has a tattoo of your 45 adapter avatar on his leg. I wanted to be a goober and go up to him and say I knew what that was. But I didn't want to embarrass my wife.

I can still mention many others, like Beefheart, but didn't want to be a thread hog, or let everybody know how weird I am.

My fav version of this song. Poor Don never knew which camera to play to.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
"Rumble" was one of the featured songs in "Pulp Fiction", as was Dick Dale's fantastic "Misirlou". If you don't know the song, and like great guitar, check I out......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4eEqN4HY7Q

Another great song that everyone knows but few know the artist:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I can still mention many others, like Beefheart, but didn't want to be a thread hog, or let everybody know how weird I am.

We want you to be a thread hog. Some great input! Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" might be the weirdest album ever. Try this:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I wouldn't have. IMO guitar gods like Trower, Ted Nugent, George Thorogood, Hendrix, Edgar Winter & Jeff Beck still have such regular rotation on classic rock radio they are still well known today. They have those one or two signature songs that everybody knows.
I would agree that the majority of their material is eclipsed by those hits. That would qualify as obscure.

BTW, I saw a guy who has a tattoo of your 45 adapter avatar on his leg. I wanted to be a goober and go up to him and say I knew what that was. But I didn't want to embarrass my wife.

I hardly listen to the radio anymore, I mostly stream or flash drives. I rarely hear Trower on the radio and as everyone knows the best tracks arent played on the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
These guys, perhaps the greatest warmup band. They could play anything. Did lots of festivals. Got together with McCartney for a few projects. Wings? Some of you might remember this minor hit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
These guys, perhaps the greatest warmup band. They could play anything. Did lots of festivals. Got together with McCartney for a few projects. Wings? Some of you might remember this minor hit.
Great mention. I rediscovered Delaney and Bonnie a few years back with the song on the Duane Allman Anthology II "Come on in my Kitchen" and have added several of their songs to my drive. Hadn't heard this one in years, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now I'm going to throw out one of the most obscure British Invasion bands, The Zombies. They achieved some fame in the 60s, but kind of got lost in the shuffle. I just rediscovered them. Course one of the founders, Rod Argent, later formed "Argent" in 1969.

I wish I had had audio equipment that made this song sound this good in the 60s and 70s.
In Northeast Ohio, at least, Time Of the Season gets a fair amount of air play.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hardly listen to the radio anymore, I mostly stream or flash drives. I rarely hear Trower on the radio and as everyone knows the best tracks arent played on the radio.
Do you stream thesummit.fm? It's mostly newer stuff than mentioned here, but when they say "True musical diversity", they mean it. A set between announcements would be an 80s alternative track, a 2000s Americana tune, a new rock song, then you might get early Johnny Cash.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Do you stream thesummit.fm? It's mostly newer stuff than mentioned here, but when they say "True musical diversity", they mean it. A set between announcements would be an 80s alternative track, a 2000s Americana tune, a new rock song, then you might get early Johnny Cash.

No I do not but I'll check it out, I like all types of music.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
The Dead are not exactly obscure, but I'll bet few have dug this awesome tune.
I know it by this soulful Reggae interpretation by Gregory Isaacs that I love.
And this one too

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
In Northeast Ohio, at least, Time Of the Season gets a fair amount of air play.
But they have so many more great songs that few listen to. They were a great band that didn't get the recognition that other British bands in the invasion got.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The Dead are not exactly obscure, but I'll bet few have dug this awesome tune.
I know it by this soulful Reggae interpretation by Gregory Isaacs that I love.
Thanks for bringing this. Althea is one of my most favorite Dead songs and I look for new interpretations. You ought to look at John Mayers with Dead and Company playing it.

But in answer to the great videos you have given us, try this:

I know it's the Talking Heads song cover, but it is a great reggae cover.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts