Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, we discussed the late Leon Russell, probably the best known obscure rocker ever. I had the good fortune to see him in concert twice in the late 70s. It got me thinking about other obscure artists that I believe will give pleasure to some of the younger members of this forum (and maybe give me some different music to listen to in my car while I search for ammo and firearms). One that I am listening to right now is Jonathan Edwards. He started out as an acoustic rocker then later transitioned to country and bluegrass. He only had one or two radio hits in the mid 70s, the highest top 40 hit being "Sunshine". Check him out and give us some ideas on others.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Before my time a little. In fact I only learned about him this year. Link Wray

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before my time a little. In fact I only learned about him this year. Link Wray
That's cool. The Kinks must have listened to him because this reminds me of their style and sound, but he obviously was first.
I've been listening to 'Leftover Salmon' in my car:
They kind of pick up where Little Feat left off.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In another thread, we discussed the late Leon Russell, probably the best known obscure rocker ever. I had the good fortune to see him in concert twice in the late 70s. It got me thinking about other obscure artists that I believe will give pleasure to some of the younger members of this forum (and maybe give me some different music to listen to in my car while I search for ammo and firearms). One that I am listening to right now is Jonathan Edwards. He started out as an acoustic rocker then later transitioned to country and bluegrass. He only had one or two radio hits in the mid 70s, the highest top 40 hit being "Sunshine". Check him out and give us some ideas on others.

I met him once ( and Sunshine was part of my acoustic repertoire, and I can still remember how to play it. Great around campfires). I met him when he played the K-She Kite Fly one year and my drunk buddy crawled up on stage, grabbed his legs and started telling him he loved him. I had to go up there to keep the cops from kicking my buddy's ass. After he came off stage he sought us out and gave us autographs and had a beer with us, Nice fella.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: fez

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Along the same vein of new bands getting a boost from old masters, New Riders of the Purple Sage "Panama Red":

This song came from 'Old and In The Way' with Peter Rowan (writer), Jerry Garcia, David Grisman et al. Both albums are great.

Jerry Garcia had just begun to play steel guitar and only played it on a couple of albums, including "The Adventures of Panama Red".

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
He got into a lot of trouble with that character(The Duke) Made some profacist statements that got some people riled up. Just acting he claimed. He was doing a lot and I mean a lot of coke during that period which he honestly admitted to. He finally cleaned himself up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
He got into a lot of trouble with that character(The Duke) Made some profacist statements that got some people riled up. Just acting he claimed. He was doing a lot and I mean a lot of coke during that period which he honestly admitted to. He finally cleaned himself up.
Do you mean Peter Rowan? Because Garcia never cleaned up and died from too much heroin. (Still pisses me off that he couldn't stop)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is a not obscure in any way artist, Bob Dylan, with the very first "music video" which might be considered obscure:

From 1965.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Do you mean Peter Rowan? Because Garcia never cleaned up and died from too much heroin. (Still pisses me off that he couldn't stop)
No I was referring to Bowie. The Duke. I thought my post would be under your.s.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I was referring to Bowie. The Duke. I thought my post would be under your.s.
Sorry, my brain wasn't working. He played many, many controversial characters. Sometimes it was good that you didn't have to look at him while you listened to his amazing songs.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
This is gonna get good.
Rory Gallagher. Probably the Irish contemporary to Leon. Rory REALLY shunned fame. He had an opportunity to join the Stones. Jimmy H. thought he was great. He was real Irish blues. There is a statue erected to him in Cork. With all the material he put out, you would think he has some classic rock radio rotation the USA? Nope. I can't think of why; his material is excellent. Unfortunately, he liked the bottle a little too much. I probably have all his albums available on CD. PM me if interested.
Here's some of my favorite slow pieces that display the depth of his writing and guitar mastery.
And a fast one

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Sorry, my brain wasn't working. He played many, many controversial characters. Sometimes it was good that you didn't have to look at him while you listened to his amazing songs.
Bowie's early folky space pieces are my favs. You listen to Hunky Dory and Space Oddity and they take you on a tour of culture, space and time. You just wonder, where did "Cooks" come from? Where in the universe did Cygnet Committee come from? Absolute gems. I wish he had just stayed there. But the White Duke was not one to stay in one place very long. He understood the music business. He was the reinvention master.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Tom Waits. Eclectic genre defying artist. Get Rain Dogs.

Reactions: RAT76
1 - 20 of 118 Posts