Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my first Kel-Tec, a brand new olive drab and blued P3AT:

I took it to the range and I shot 50 rounds of Magtech FMJ and 13 rounds of Federal Hydrashock JHP, with zero failures of any kind. Right off the bat, I was expecting this thing to kick like a mule but it really wasn't bad at all. As others mentioned, it did seem to want to slip upwards out of my hand a bit especially when slightly sweaty, but it wasn't a big deal. I did have a faint red mark in my palm and on the edge of the tip of my ring finger. Accuracy ... well, it made my Springfield XD 9mm 4" seem like sniper rifle. ;D

Here's a target from 7 yards with the JHP's:

I used some yellow fluorescent Testors paint and a toothpick to make my sights much more visible:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome to the KT club. Look around on the forum and you will find lots of ways to make shooting your gun less painful and trust me, a fingertip extension on the bottom of that mag. will improve accuracy like you would not believe :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, that HIVIZ job is pretty bright. Is the consensus for a grip extension to go with the Bersa extension rather than the KT one that adds an extra round to the magazine?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Got my extension at at gun show for 5 bucks, made by Scherer to fit Kel-Tec or Bersa. There is a thread on here somewere that tells were to get one but forget where I saw it. Maybe some one can help. Extra round deal looks good but to me I like the shape and look of what I got better, and took like 5 sec. to install.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
wolfsburg_de said:
Is the consensus for a grip extension to go with the Bersa extension rather than the KT one that adds an extra round to the magazine?
No consensus. There are 3 different extensions in addition to the +1 and each has their own following that seems to be pretty well split from what I have seen.

Neither wifey nor I can stand the extensions. I love the +1. She likes it bare....

-Scott

·
Registered
562 Posts
adamsesq said:
Neither wifey nor I can stand the extensions.  I love the +1.  She likes it bare....

-Scott
Ya know, Scott, working with adolescents all day, I can barely refrain from making a smart butt reply to this quote. Oh well, I'd hate myself later in the day ;)

(Gee, maybe I'm growing up. God, I hope not, growing up is highly overrated IMHO).

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome to: wolfsburg_de :D That target at 7 yards may not be the result of a a firearm designed for competition shooting (which the P-3AT was not) or indicate MOA capabilities but it sure shows that if a bad guy were standing there he would have been in a world of hurt!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another vote for the finger extension.

That, along with this shooting technique by Two Pistol Packer, and I think you'll be surprised at how accurate these little pistols can be!

"Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Packer"

I found pulling back with my weak hand eliminated muzzle flip from pulling the trigger and improved my accuracy considerably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give a try at the range tonight. Also, compared to 9mm ... Dang, .380 is expensive. I bought a 20-round box of Federal Hydra-Shok at the range for $19.03 including tax. (~$0.95/shot) I just ordered four 20 round boxes of the same from Streichers, which came to $88.91 including shipping (~ $0.45/shot).

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Now that target is DOA. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.