NWTF Banquets ?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Bert, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Anyone doing the NTWF banquet rounds ?  We have two in the area tonight.

http://www.nwtf.org/

Banquet locater at top right of home page.

I will be at the one in Wartburg, TN

B.

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Never made it to one of their's. Was always going to the DU and RMEF dinners, timing never worked out for the NTWF or NRA banquets.
    So how was it ?

3. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

The food and friends were good, time with dad was great.  

A local ladie catered it, so was homestyle.  Roast beef, her special cheesy taters (very good) beans, salad, and bananna pudding.

They had a full banquet package, with Rem 100 G3 as grand prize. Unfortunately for the chapter, they were expecting over 100, and got only ~50 attendees.  This meant that lots of the auctions and raffles went very low (good ofr some buyers).

We bought a few tickests, but did not bid in the auction.

One problem in their attendance is that the grand prize (the Rem G3) is only available to 12 people.  They raffle off 12 turkey calls, then do a reverse drawing on the calls.  The calls did go lower than usual ($85-$110), but as this is one of the  more economically depressed areas, not many can afford to bid (one guy had 4 calls when I left).

In the heyday, every banquet ticket sold was also a chance on the grand prize.  The events were much better attended then.

edit - I will add that NWTF local chapters in coodination with NWTF and the Elk Foundation, have done some incredible habitat restoration in east TN.  In my life time we have went from where seeing a deer was very rare, and turkey were impossible, to now seeing them on a weekly basis.  

However, while hunting (i.e. usage) has increased in the last ten years, participation in conservation and promotion has not.  The younger generation needs to get more involved.

B.

4. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    I attended a local NWTF banquet last year. Actually I was invited to be the auctioneer. I auction about 15 charity auctions each year. I've been doing this for many years now and never charge a fee or take a dime. Just a way to give back I guess. Had a great time at the NWTF banquet and actually won a Weatherby PA-8 pump 12 gauge in a raffle. So yeah I liked that banquet. :cool:

5. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Nice catch !

Our local chapter banquet is this weekend at Clinton, TN (I-75 exit 122)

B.