Nutnfancy review of Keltec and the SU-22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by TriggerlockSLC, Jan 25, 2010.

1. TriggerlockSLC

TriggerlockSLC New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAcl-zZPvxA&feature=channel[/ame]

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I watched Nutnfancy's video of Kel-Tec at the 2010 SHOT Show this morning when it was posted to the PMR-30 forum. Good stuff. I tend to like the same stuff as Nutnfancy, so it's no surprise that we agree that the SU-22 is awesome.

3. CountVonC4

CountVonC4 New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    +1. He seem to hit the nail on the head rather consistently. I've been mulling over what my next purchase is going to be, honestly I'd love to have the whole kel tec line-up...if only. But the SU22 really is taking the lead for me personally. The fun factor is off the charts and i need to be able to afford to shoot the thing so yeah, 22 it is! Now if only i could find one.

4. gtrsnax

gtrsnax New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I've been a watcher of the TNP on Youtube for a long time. After watching and rewatching and rewatching all his videos on tactical .22s, I decided the SU-22 would be the first rifle I would buy. So I did, and I just shot it for the first time today :D Lots of fun in the back yard! :D Dont worry, I live in the countryside, it's all good.

So, after searching this forum for answers and not finding it, I'm here to ask this question...

I certainly agree with Nutn, about replacing the front sight pin to a skinnier one. So.....being a gun noob and all... where do I look for this part and how hard is the swap out? Does the pin just pop out or do I have to disassemble the whole sight fixture?

Thanks in advance

5. gtrsnax

gtrsnax New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Funny, as many times as I've watched that video and never realized he actually explained exactly what he had and where to get it. For the sight group, I found it $5 cheaper here at Midway than at Brownells or most other places. Sucks that you have to buy the whole group though. I'd just want the smallest one in the pack - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=427154

For the flash suppressor - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24940/Product/PHANTOM_5C2_COMP_FLASH_HIDER

6. gtrsnax

gtrsnax New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I shot my own informal video. I really dont think it has too much additional to contribute to the forum than whats already been mentioned, so there was no need to make a new thread about it. Since I mention TNP a few times I figured I might as well go ahead and put the video here....

Enjoy, or dont :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u-0K7UJYvQ[/ame]

7. TZH

TZH New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I used to like his videos, but many of them are too long to watch! hahaha

I can't wait to get my own SU22 darn it. and then I'll grab a bundle of magazines. saving up is part of the fun.

8. Panzercat

Panzercat Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    He talks way too much.
    But it makes for great gun pr0n I guess.

Only making my decision that much harder. Sub2k or SU22?!
    Yeah, I'd like both too :p

9. DocNugent

DocNugent New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Seattle area
    Buy a SU-22C and get a free "pistol" - long-barreled pistol, that is. :D
    [​IMG]

10. Quigley56

Quigley56 Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Baja Indiana
    Based on nuntin's recommendation I have been looking for a SU 16c and a SU 22 for over a year. I did not even know they made a 22c model. I bought a (new?) SU 22a? no box & manual & ? from a licensed dealer at a gun show yesterday. It did come with a Kel Tec I could only get 25 rounds in magazine. The gun did appear to be unfired. I ran a patch down the barrel and lubricated the gun. It does not like Remington Golden Bullets! I sprayed some silicone in the magazine and waited for it to dry and tried some more. My SU 22 does not work like the one nuntin uses in the video, eh? lots of failure to go into battery and some jams due to fired shell staying in action when striping a new one off the mag. Of all the Kel Tec guns I have owned I have only kept the Sub2Ks. They work! I have not gave up on the SU 22. It is I hope an ammo problem. Most .22RF autos are fussy about ammo brands. I will try different brands of ammo and a different magazine when I can find one. Life is good, eh?

11. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    SU-22s are known not to like Remington Golden Bullets. The bullets in these rounds are not crimped tightly enough and they bend during loading. Most people have much better reliability with Federal Bulk Pack. Mine likes CCI Blazer as well. After a thorough break in, the Golden Bullets might work better.

A link to Kel Tec's Website where the manual can be found (PLR-22/SU-22 Owners Manual): http://www.keltecweapons.com/resources/downloads/

The Black Dog X-form magazines work very well, as do the 50-round drums. These guns use the same magazines as most Atchisson/Ciener-type .22 Lr AR-15s, aka "AR-22s."

buzzsaw

12. fabianscott

fabianscott New Member

May 28, 2013
    Taylor, Mi
    I have had the same issues with my su-22 when I first bought it. It was used, thousands of rounds put through it actually, but it turned out to be the factory mag the rifle came with. It is one of the earlier Black Dog Mags with the recessed sides/tight fit as well. I would have many many failure to feeds as the bolt stripped a round off of the mag it would pretty much just smash the round. Ended up grabbing a few BlackDog Xform mags from the local gunshow as well as a few online and they all work flawlessly. I have shot everything from Federal Bulk Packs, Remington Subsonics, CCI standard velocity to Remington thunderbolts, Aguila High velocity and even winchester Hollowpoints. CCI MINIMAG Roundnose only giving me Failure to feed issues. Could be due to the waxing they throw on them. You may want to check the firing pin to make sure it is not pertruding out of the front of the bolt, not allowing a new round to be picked up all of the way behind the ejector, indicating it is unfortunately snapped as mine had done. As for the casings getting stuck behind the bolt, or on top of the chamber, it seems like it only happens when rapid firing. Maybe casings are bouncing off one another? But all in all not many malfunctions from my Su. Good luck! Hope this has helped!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013