Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Birthday present from my parents. Sheath is tooled Mexican leather, I'm told. Wild turkey feathers. I think the bird was eaten. :)

If nothing else it's one more step in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
That's a pretty cool sheath Kirk. Looks like they're very proud of their machetes south o'the border.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was made for tourists and collectors. I'd not use that sort of sheath on a "working" machete.

OTOH, the machete itself appears to be a standard "all business" model. Typical blade and handle.

If I get a burr under my saddle, I might try to replace the grip with a knuckle guard variety.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Here is what I bought myself for my birthday. Monday, May 14. Model 500 with 28 inch and 18.5 inch barrels.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, none of my guys were able to make it to class last night. So I spent about 45 min. getting acquainted with my birthday present. It handles light and smooth but I'm definitely going to have to work on the edge. It came with a "factory edge" which, for a machete from Guatemala, apparently means "rough ground." It would cut light targets but that was about it. So I spend just a little bit of time on my sharpening wheels. Made the edge worse. When I looked closely at it, I found that this was because I had polished off the "saw teeth" left by the factory rough grind and now all I had left was the blunt. I'm going to have to give the edge some special attention.

I'm used to handling and cutting with Sabers, Cutlass, Bowies, Tomahawks, &tc. But I've not spent much "special time" with Machetes. It's very very close to a short Cutlass but the Center of Percussion is different as is the slashing "Sweet Spot." It has a VERY tip forward Sweet Spot for Slashing which is JUST BARELY in front of the Center of Percussion. I think I like Cutlasses better, but I could grow to love this blade.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts