Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my P3AT now works just fine, I need to find a holster for it.

I'm thinking front pocket carry?

Anybody who has photos of their holster with their P3AT (or A P3AT) in it - please post pics.

Options are limited locally it seems.

What other ways is the P3AT carried?

I'm sure there have been other threads like this, but I figured I'd start a modern one for the hell of it (and I am lazy)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Here is my review so far of my holsters in order of use;

1) K&D wallet... this provides 100% coverage and protection on the outside and legside. The gun and holster can be removed from pocket or put into with out drawing any attention since it looks like wallet. Once broken in (couple weeks with medium weight leather) it disappears in any pocket, front rear, jacket. (with side slit kaki pants) Drawing from the front pocket is best if you anticiate and get fingers in right position first. unantipated draw is slightly slower. (its in pocket now)

2) K&D defender 2N1 wallet pannel. this provides 100% coverage, even better protection. So far this pannel has not broken in as well as above. Possibly due to heavier leather. This one also does not disappear as well since it is more layers of leather, thus thicker. with the pannel snaps on outside, the draw is better than above. However, I've found using the weakside pocket with the snaps on the legside, the draw is very good. I would like to have another one made for "left", without reenforfcement leater on defender, and lighter leather. (use only when working, still trying to break it in better)

3) K&D 2N1 defender...a real good holster. Do to my constaint carry while working around the yard, I don't like gun grips against leg. However, a very good draw and posible the best disappearing in pocket. But removing from pocket may let gun show. (It is around some where)

4) Uncle Mike's #1... used while waiting for first K&Ds. worked pretty good. I just like the ideal of quaility leather. To make it a print less, I trimmed a credit card and put it in bottom half. this also improved draw and keep it in the pocket while drawing better. the gun and holster don't come out or go in smoothly if so needed, kind of need to stand up and shake it in. (cell phone is currently in it on desk)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I also bought one from Pocketholster.com - mine took about a week from order to delivery. It is luck of the "draw" (pun intended).

When I called I was not sure if I wanted black or brown - they had brown in stock - black would have taken a few extra weeks. So I went with brown.

Some will try and tell you that it is perfectly acceptable for it to take several MONTHS to get a holster. Quality is worth it - it takes time to produce it - bla bla bla. Completely true BTW - if the company does not keep AN INVENTORY OF HOLSTERS. Also seems acceptable if you want something custom. I am not a leather expert - but it is hard for me to understand how it could take longer to produce a holster than it does a car. Last car I ordered from the factory took 8 weeks.

I think Guru Dave can keep an inventory because he does not try and sell holsters for every gun - he sticks to a limited number of fairly common guns. Kel-Tec must be his bread and butter.

I also removed the screws & flap - and just use it as a pocket holster. It is stiff at first - but after use it gets much softer.

I also tried one from grandfather oaks - its only $15 (delivered) its made of kydex - which is sort of like stiff thin plastic. I will use the GO holster when I carry the P-3AT as a BUG. I am right handed - bought a right hand holster. But I like to put the GO in my left pocket - the gun turned the wrong way - slide facing the rear - I will only carry this way when its my Back Up Gun. This Holster also works great this way (backwards?) in a suit coat (left chest) pocket.

G

·
z71  Dave Guru makes top top quality leather holsters for the mini guns. There are other good ones out there to but he has to rank in the very top 8)

·
Registered
608 Posts
z71bill said:
I also bought one from Pocketholster.com - mine took about a week from order to delivery. It is luck of the "draw" (pun intended).

z71bill - Is the muzzle open or closed on the holsters from Pocketholster.com? I can't tell from the pic, and it makes about 1/2 inch difference in height, which would make a big difference in backpocket carry.

I'm currently using a homemade holster, but have been looking at one of the specialty ones.

TIA.

Bryan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi BigBadaBoom, all of the suggestions so far are good. I would also like to throw in one. I have had a K-Rat from Palehorseholsters for a couple of weeks now. I believe that they have these holsters in stock as it did not take long to get mine. Communication with them is not the best, but in the end they came through with a nice holster. It works very well. Here is a link to the page with the holster. Just scroll down the page until you get to the K-Rat. http://www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm
I got this holster to fill in while waiting for a holster from K&D Holsters.

Ron

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you haven't looked at
http://www.ktog.org/accessories-holsters.htm
you probably should if you're a do-it-yourselfer. I prefer http://www.ktog.org/pocketholster.htm and have made one for P-ll and P3at. They don't print and are comfortable. The price is great too. I don't round the one side as much as they do. Round both sides a little and it looks like a wallet for the p3at in the back pocket, and a small book in the front pocket of dockers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird. I was trying to find the website for KD Holsters on Google and nothing came up. I had to go through a bunch of forum posts to find a link to their site.

I'll take a look at all of the suggestions. It's a shame to have to wait several weeks, but I guess I understand it. For my PM9 I ordered a Mitch Rosen holster from their Express line and thankfully Kahr carried them in the KahrShop so they'll be here today. I want to order a real full detail 5JR from Mitch Rosen though, but he says right now they're running about 12-14 weeks for production. That means I'd get it around Christmas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
 Its worth the wait in my opinion, while it may stink, imagine how happy you will be when you get it, and you only have to wait the one time. I myself just got a 10 buck holster to get me by and found that though not nearly as nice as the K&D, the Uncle Mikes sidekick is a great little holster, but you have to learn to "scrape" the holster off on your leg when you draw it as there is no place for your finger to assist you. Good luck in whichever holster you get.

p.s. i requested that K&D engrave my Initials on the mag. holder, so we will see how that works out :)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
BigBadaBoom said:
I was trying to find the website for KD Holsters on Google and nothing came up.  I had to go through a bunch of forum posts to find a link to their site.
K&D is a sponsor of this website, and their add banner appears at the top of this screen, in rotation with Blue Force Gear, Arma Laser, and Texas Sports Supply.

If it's not at the top of this page right now, hit the "refresh" or "reload" button on your browser a few times and it will be.

Just click on the banner add and you are there!

rcmodel

·
Registered
430 Posts
There certainly is a myriad of choices available, and in all different types of material - from the nylon/cordura, to kydex, to leather.  Everyone has their own preference for a variety of reasons.

With respect to the amount of time it takes to make a holster, that process, in and of itself, is not a terribly long amount of time.  What lends to the wait is the number of people who are ahead of you waiting for a holster.  There are some holster makers who run a one-man shop that claim they can make 200 holsters, start to finish and out the door, in a week.  I know other holstermakers who only make 10-12 a week.  Then there's the priority that the holstermaker places on filling the order.  Some will put everyone else behind the military orders and law enforcement orders.  When I started offering holsters 3 years ago, the turnaround time was about a week.  Now it's well beyond that.  I started out in a very small room and now have a 1000 sq ft shop.  Since moving to our new location, the turnaround time has come down from an all time high, and continues to improve every day.  It should get even better very soon as I've hired a full time person to assist in the process.  And there's all the other aspects associated with running a business that factor into the time.  Some holstermakers have better organizational skills than others in that respect.  I work seven days a week at this, and there's very little wasted time.  I enjoy it immensely and feel fortunate having the opportunity to do it.  I believe the majority of the holstermakers make every effort possible to get your order to you as quickly as they can.  

I offer holsters for nearly 150 different guns.  Why?  Because that's what our customers have asked for and it brings us the most orders.  For example, if I offered only pocket holsters the amount of work available would be less.  (Though 75% of the holsters I make are the pocket holster style.) Not to mention that I would become bored in fairly short order.  I like to have a variety of styles to work with and by providing the offerings I do gives me that satisfaction.  Other holstermakers want to stay with one style of holster.  One theory in that vein is that if you offer too many different styles, then you're not good at any.  I disagree with that theory, but for some craftsman, it might hold true.

So, feel free to look around at your different options and what's available to you.  There are plenty of good choices.  8)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wow! Thats very impressive K-man, now i really cant wait to get my holster. Keep up the great work and ill keep telling all my friends you make a great holster.

p.s. Can you do special engeaving, Im curious because I requested my initials when i ordered. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have not recieved my holster yet from K-Man, but I am in line. His last responce in this thread is one of the reasons I odered from him. Besides all the people from this and other forums that I check in that give Kevin VERY HIGH marks, his communication is outstanding!! He listens to what you are looking for and offers suggestions if needed.He is prompt with emails and will return phone calls. I can hardly wait to get my holster from him!

Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was curious as to getting the banner to show the KD Holster ad. I'd never seen it before. I always seem to get "Texas Sports Supply" or something else "Blue Forces" or something to that effect.

I hit refresh about 10 times and finally it came up.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I suspect the banner ad is set on random.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
RJ Hedley -- all-day, every-day for a few years now and still almost as good as new.

http://www.hedleyholsters.com/

Mine...

I couldn't sing his praises more highly if he was giving me a kick-back (which he isn't  :'().

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.