Now I know why you guys buy 2-3 of these suckers!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by engineer88, Mar 9, 2008.

1. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I get it now. They are addicting. I am already wanting one more in case I have to ever send this one in, etc. (insert any other pathetic excuse here) and will definitely eventually add one more to the stable.

I took my lil buddy out tonight for the first time. I had planned to put a 100 though it. Ended up finding an excuse to buy another box at the range though and wound up shooting 144 total. First 100 were flawless. My bro had a stove pipe at 110-115 and I had another 2 mags later. No I am not upset about it. If I EVER had to shoot 100+ I am probably already dead or I am some geek walking around with a bandanna of loaded P3AT mags across my chest. HAHAHA!!

All that said this gun is at least as fun or more fun then any other gun (for different reasons of course) I own or have owned to shoot. It is hilarious to see other people shoot it for the first time. My cousin gave it a go and after 3 rounds (didn’t even finish the magazine out!) set it down and declared that he did not like it. LOL! I was the same way when my brother introduced me to one the first time. Once I learned how to hold the sucker right I fell in love!!

For some reason I do definitely shoot better one handed. Which is fine because it is probably how it will be employed (see deployed for all you that are into the new tacticool buzzword of the month). I had planned to maybe get some accessories for it, but I love the stock profile and was surprised that I hung onto it extremely well in stock configuration. It managed to unseat itself from my Vulcan neck pinch grip only once in over a hundred shots tonight, so no issues there.

Anyhow it will be getting a thorough cleaning and another “100” or so in a couple weeks. So far I am absolutely LOVING my P3AT. So small light and well made.

P.S. after loading and shooting the P3 most of the night my Glock mags seemed like beer can big when I picked them up, HAHAHA!

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Re: Now I know why you guys buy 2-3 of these sucke

Yep, I hear you about owning more than one P3AT. Been trying for months now to snag a second one for myself in HC.

About the shooting problems, do you feel that is was just the gun needing cleaning? I've not gone beyond 57 rounds before cleaning mine.

Take care ...

3. Re: Now I know why you guys buy 2-3 of these sucke

I am not addicted to Kel-Tecs..... I can stop buying them anytime I want.

[​IMG]

I just don't want to!   ;D

EDIT TO ADD: It seems to me that 50 rounds is close to max rounds with out a good clean and lube for the 3AT. After break in on mine... it is shoot a little and carry alot.

My routine with them now is two mags worth when I go to the range, then clean and lube. I also run two mags of snap caps after the clean up, then I load the mags with Corbon DPX.. then back in the holster.

4. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008

I bought two but one was for the wife.
    One is in for repair (failure to extract from barrel) at this time.
    Love the wieght for a pocket carry.

5. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007

Same thing happens with my little Beretta 21A. After plinking about 50-75 rounds down range it will become a 'jam-o-matic' if I don't stop and clean it.

Now that I've shot it enough to accept that it WILL go 'bang' each time I put my booger hook on the bang switch, I restrict my P3AT range time to firing the 3 full mags I bring and then switch to one of my other handguns for the rest of the session. The other larger and heavier pieces are not as sensitive to "clean" as the 21A and the P3AT.

Defintely NOT a slam on them however, neither was designed for range duty.

6. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007

Yeah, my brother's has thousands of rounds through it and it usually starts to get dirty and FTFeed every so often after at least 70-80+. I am totally fine with that, since I will never put more then a dozen or so out of it in an actual situation.

I think my next will definitely be a hard chrome. I do like and want both. :)

Though I am trying to convince the wife she needs a P32 to go with her .22, LOL!

7. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007

My wife's 21a will go 100, but guaranteed between 100 and 150 it is gonna start having issues. I have noticed though that it is due for the most part to the fact that the sucker drinks oil. After 100+ shots it will be bone dry. If I re-oil (with a lot) it is usually good to go another hundred.

We are replacing it with a revolver for her for a few reasons (barrel length, no burning hot shells down the bra, easier to load), but she likes to shoot a couple hundred every time we go and the 21a is not really made for that (like the P3AT). FYI, if you polish the diminutive feed rap on the Beretta, it gets better.

I will get to trying to restrain myself to a box or so a month through my P3AT (after break in), but hopefully I will have my second one by then. ;D

8. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Nu agin,

Why do you shoot a couple of mags of snap caps after the clean up.. just curious.

Dana

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Well, some folks will say, "I hate to say I told you so, but..". Not me :)

I TOLD YOU SO! ;)

Oh, and welcome to the Five Degree Longitudinal Negative Camber Club. I think you will know what I mean. :)

10. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007

Yeah, a second P3AT is on my short list of things to buy. I'll hold out till I see a HC one locally. I'd love to find a Navy/HC version.

11. Re: Now I know why you guys buy 2-3 of these sucke

IMHO... It is a way that I can reassure myself that I put the sucker back together properly.

I do that with all of my guns.

I know that one school of thought is NEVER fire snap caps ... but my thinking is I like that extra layer of reliance verification.

Shoot, Clean, Lube....cycle snap caps....LOAD and holster.

12. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Thanks, I think I will pick up that habit too. :)

IMHO... It is a way that I can reassure myself that I put the sucker back together properly.

I do that with all of my guns.  

I know that one school of thought is NEVER fire snap caps ...  but my thinking is I like that extra layer of reliance verification.  

Shoot, Clean, Lube....cycle snap caps....LOAD and holster.[/quote]