Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a lightly used pf9 about three weeks ago and have shot maybe 50 rounds. Probably had at least 40 shells fail to eject. I thought maybe limp wrist at first, but I was using two hands and it began doing it every shot. I cleaned it well and same thing.
Any ideas, I'm guess the extractor even tho it looks fine. I have an email into keltec.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I got a lightly used pf9 about three weeks ago and have shot maybe 50 rounds. Probably had at least 40 shells fail to eject. I thought maybe limp wrist at first, but I was using two hands and it began doing it every shot. I cleaned it well and same thing.
Any ideas, I'm guess the extractor even tho it looks fine. I have an email into keltec.
You mentioned not ejecting, but suspecting the extractor... Actually two different things (and parts). Are the cases not extracting completely, or are they not getting kicked clear of the slide?
I'm guessing you mean that they're only partially extracting... in which case, you can check the chamber of the barrel with both a fired case and a live round. remove the barrel and drop the cases in.
Do they both insert and pull out freely?
Can you twist/spin them while in the chamber?
**Of not, you may simply need to sand the chamber a bit, so that they do insert and extract freely.
**If they do, then the next culprit may indeed be the extractor.
There is NO need to send it in yet. You can ask KT Service to send you a new Extractor group (extractor, spring and Screw) and swap them out yourself very easily.

Also... Ensure that the extractor screw is very snug and that it has not backed out and gotten loose. If it is loose, add a dab of Blue Locktite (thread-locker) to the head end of the threads and snug it down well.

If it is the extractor, there are multiple threads about 'doubling up' the extractor spring and it working fine.
There is also a thread here about 'tuning' the extractor.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As mentioned, if the case is simply not extracting from the chamber, then it could be the extractor or simply a rough chamber. In which case perhaps a simple chamber polish might correct the problem. But since you specifically noted "not ejecting" then the issue might be the ejector, not the extractor. On the P3AT, ejector is a simple part that is easily lost when cleaning the pistol, as it can simply fall out of its slot in the frame, and its absense is not readily noticeable. Check carefully to see if the ejector is in place, and is not broken or damaged.

EDIT: my error-for some reason I read this as a P3AT, and it is instead, the PF-9. The ejector is, of course, pinned in place on the PF, but it could still be bent or broken, causing ejection issues, if that is what is happening, instead of extraction issues.

Jim R

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
I got a lightly used pf9 about three weeks ago and have shot maybe 50 rounds. Probably had at least 40 shells fail to eject.
Obviously, that's a very high rate of failure so I'd suspect you may need a new extractor. Also, what ammo were you shooting?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ejector appears to look normal, at least compared to my buddies pf9.
To clarify my issue, after firing the projectile the shell stays in the chamber just enough that the next round jambs underneath it. I then have to drop the mag and remove the shell.
I have tried 4 different types of ammo ranging from federal American eagles to Winchester pdx1s, nothing cheap.
The chamber looks smooth to the eye, but I have not attempted to polish it.

Side note, this is my first keltec pistol aside from my subbie, I've never had these issues with my glocks. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Did you have a chance to let your buddy shoot it? Could help rule out if it's you or the pistol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think all these postings are on to your problem. Seems the first things to try are:

1. Try another ammo.
2. Inspect and polish barrel where cartridge is sticks.
3. Inspect ejector.
4. Tighten extractor screw. If tight, I would take down the extractor and examine it and the reseat it properly adding loctite to the screw in reassembly.
5. Ask Kel-Tec for a replacement extractor if all else fails.

Let us know what you determine is the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol, I'm glad you have never shot yourself, knock on wood I haven't either and I carry my glock 26 with a chambered round, fearless I know. Lol

Anyway, I do need to have someone else shoot it, could be me, I'm open to that. I'd like to think out of 50 shots I could at least get a couple right, but crazier stuff has happened.

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks for all the help and advice. I'll see what keltec says when they respond to my email.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
If the advice you get here does no good, call them and ask for a call tag. On a new gun they may pick up shipping if it needs warranty service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately It is a used pistol. I will try all the above suggestions before mailing it away for an unforeseen amount of time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still no reply from kt, it has been a week since I contacted them.
I went ahead and just ordered some parts to swap out,for 9 bucks it wasn't worth the wait.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Just for future reference, KT Service WILL send out replacement parts free of charge, regardless of being the primary, or secondary owner. The $45 charge for secondary owners that send them in, is basically just to cover their Labor fee for service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize that, but since I couldn't get ahold of them it wasnt worth my time and frustration to wait.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Gotcha :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still no word from kt, glad I just ordered parts. I swapped out the extractor, extractor spring and screw. The originals appeared fine but I did it anyway. Shoots perfect now, well at least it did for 30 rounds yesterday. I like my pf9 once more!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
FYI, a call to KT goes farther than an email. You'll see evidence of that all over this board. Glad all seems to be well, and keep us posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts