Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All

I had a PF9 a couple of years ago when I was new to firearms. Didn't work out so well so I sold it. Now that I have been around firearms for a while something about it made me want another one. I picked this one up recently. I noticed since my old one they must have improved the machining process becuase the feed ramp on this one has no pitting and there were no burrs on the slide rails. It looks far better quality wise than my old one.

I took it to the range and put one box of 124 grain American Eagle with no issues. I then ran a box of 115 grain Federal with 2fte's which may well have been my fault. I ran 1 magazine of some defensive ammo 124 grain until I realized it was +p, still no FTE although the slide stayed closed after the last round, I was thinking due to the pressures of the ammo. The defense ammo was put away after the 1 mag full (7 rounds). I don't think any damage was done:)

The trouble started when I whipped out the Winchester White Box. I had one FTE after another. The casings seemed to get stuck in the throat of the barrel. I would clear the magazine from the firearm, check for any live rounds in the firing pin area assuring it was clear, then pat the crown of the barrel until the casing fell out. At first I thought it was me limp wisting since I was heading into the 100+ count with the little defensive gun. However it was happening every round and I have no problem shooting .357 out of small j frame size revolvers with one hand so I figured it was not me and finally had to hang up the PF9 gloves for the day.

This problem (Winchester White Box) seems very common and wide spread. I would like to work with this firearm and get it running well. A gentleman at the range had one and said he lives an hour away from KelTec. When he bought it he said KelTec actually polished or reamed the throat of the barrel and a few other things to get it to cycle properly. I have also read various other fixes like dual extractor springs and swapping the magazine springs for S&W springs. The bottom line is I want to fix it, however, if I have to start spending allot of time and money on trying to fix it, running tons of ammo through it to test it, I will have to take it to the gun show and swap it out. Not out of hate for the little gun, but because my CCW defensive guns have to run 100%. I want to give it my best try first. I am hoping all you kind folks can help me out. You just gotta love these little guns! Help me get mine to 100% so I can take it wherever I go!
Thanks

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Avoid the Win White box. ;)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Many, if not most, PF-9s are "ammo picky" to some extent (as are many other makes of semi-autos). Winchester White Box ammo is very erratic, with lots of variance in OAL, rim diameters, etc and just does not feed or extract well in most PF-9s. Some folks have been able to get this ammo to work with a lot of experimentation (polishing, extractor fixes, etc), but why the need to get your PF-9 to run with it if the pistol is to be used for self defense? As long as you can find a practice ammo that works well, and as long as the pistols runs 100% with your chosen self defense ammo, does it really need to work with all types, brands, etc? As txcajun says, just avoid WWB like most of us do, and don't worry about it.

Jim R

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine feeds Federal 115gr in the red box (Walmart $19.97 per 100) FMJ's for practice and Hornady Critical Defense HP's for carry. I haven't even tried WWB and don't plan to.

It sounds like you should keep at it with your American Eagle 124gr since it fed reliably for you. Same with you HP's.

WWB is notorious for not feeding well. And not just with the PF9. Other guns too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Have you checked to see if the little bolt that holds the extractor spring (and firing pin) is tight? That seems to be about the right number of rounds for one to loosen up if it was not lock-tited.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to Keltec today and they were willing to look at the slide assembly if I mail it in. Very cool folks. I spoke to a woman who mentioned she was working as a gunsmith in their shop for a couple of years. She stated WWB cycles great through PF9's and she has run tons of WWB through their PF9's!? I don't know really, I didn't argue with her she is the gunsmith not me. I am going to pack the slide up without the receiver and include my two mag's as well, send them off.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
who to believe about the WWB , I'll go with keltec lady gunsmith. I dont know what to say..don't even have a keltec pf9. They did get my pistol running ...

·
Banned
32 Posts
I had problems with WWB as well during break-in, but Speer Lawman and Blazer Brass ran good. I polished the heck out of the barrel and feed ramp and basically did the whole fluff and buff treatment as many have suggested here. Still waiting on the results of that as mine is being refinished.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hay PBJ not to thread jack my own thread LOL but I saw in your sig your next firearm is a CZ 75B. I just picked up a CZ 75 SP01 compact. It will be with me for however long I live. That gun is a keeper! The CZ 75 is one fantastic semi-auto platform.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Hay PBJ not to thread jack my own thread LOL but I saw in your sig your next firearm is a CZ 75B. I just picked up a CZ 75 SP01 compact. It will be with me for however long I live. That gun is a keeper! The CZ 75 is one fantastic semi-auto platform.
I do love me some CZs. I have had my eye on this beauty for quite some time...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts