Not new to Kel-Tec, but new to P-3AT "UPDATE"

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cremator, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Traded in my PF-9 on a P-3AT. I got the parkerized version this time. I paid more than I wanted to, $289 :-/, but I would have spent more in gas to drive all the way out to the place with a better price, so I think in the long run it was worth it. I have read up and done all the same as to my P-F9. Any other last hints before I hit the range?

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Re: Not new to Kel-Tec, but new to P-3AT

Welcome to KTOG, Cremator :)

May not want to shoot more than 50 before taking it apart again. When you do take it apart, notice the orientation of the guide rod where it makes contact with the frame so you can re-assemble it the same way. Also, notice locations of wear marks after your first 50, and smooth/grease those areas accordingly. Finally, verify that the ejector spring retaining screw is still tight after 50. Don't try to back it out, just try to tighten it gently to verify it hasn't shook loose.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

lets see, at a minimun

field strip and clean, I would do the magazine too
    2mm allen to check extractor
    don't lose ejector
    scribe the end of the recoil rod head wrt the barrel lug so you can put it back the same each time
    grease on frame rails, hammer face and barrel lug
    sling shot slide to load fist round, bump back of slide to ensure battery
    let trigger fully reset
    count rounds so not to dry fire

after 25 rounds, repeat cleaning and re lube

If you want to go a little farther,
    I would remove the firing pin and clean it and channel very good
    might even clip 2-3 coils from FP spring
    put a mirror finish on the barrel ramp and chamber
    add a spongy buffer to the frame to keep the barrel up tight in the slide
    add a recoil rod guide bushing in the slide (need to be sure it doesn't over compress recoil springs though)
    grind the ends of recoil springs to make flat

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Hmm...  I bought a new P3AT a couple of months back.  Although it didn't need it, I couldn't resist polishing the feed ramp and hammer interface a little.  I did clean and lube it, that's all.  Then I shot it.  Flawless!  :cool:

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Clean, Lube, Shoot, Repeat often.

And get ready for your next KT. They are addicting little boogers. Congrats!

-Scott

6. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas

as scott said - clean, lube, and shoot. make sure to use grease. most seem to use both oil and grease, but since i got my 3AT, i use nothing but grease on all KTs and it works fine that way for me, and i don't clean them nearly as often as i should.

other than that, you can do a little polishing on it for fun, but most likely it won't need it. but dang, the barrels sure do look nice when they're nice and shiny.

most will also say don't shoot much more than 50 rounds before a cleaning. i did shoot 171 with a wipe out of the slide/frame rails and fresh grease @ 75 and had no problems. but they get diiiiiiirty.

7. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Finally got a chance to get out to the woods and shoot it today. I just cleaned and lubed in the recommended places with grease and oil first. Put 100 flawless rounds down range. I did everything from slow controlled shooting to just firing all 6 as fast as I could. I even tried to limp wrist it just to cause a mis hap, and nothing happened.

My only problem is that there is a slight gap between the mag and the frame. I can actually push it in enough to seat it, but there is just enough slack to leave that gap. The front of the mag has a little bit of a sharp edge to it and with that gap it was just a little annoying to my finger. I am going to try to smooth it over just enough so it won't dig into my finger anymore.

Overall I am EXTREMELY happy. ;D