Not Impressed

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by marsh_maniac, May 25, 2008.

1. marsh_maniac

marsh_maniac New Member

May 25, 2008
    i got a chance to shoot my new p-3at today. I ran a little over 100 rounds through it, and wasn't necessarily impressed. The first 50 or so rounds chambered and ejected flawlessly. After that, it either failed to extract the casing from the chamber or failed to chamber about 1 round from every mag. A quick spray of rem oil seemed to help, but the problem persisted. The first mag was loaded with remington golden saber 102 gr HP's and didn't jam. The next 100 rds were cheap winchester target loads, which jammed after about 50 rounds. My last mag was filled with the same remington loads, and experienced a jam. I'll let you know what happens after i run a few more rounds through it.

by the way, i ran through about 120 rounds of cheap ammo with my glock 22 in .40 S&W and didn't experience a single jam. I also ran through roughly 150 rounds with my ak without a jam. Right now, my new kel tec is the least dependable gun that i own (out of 16 guns). Hopefully I'll have the same confidence with my new .380 as i do with my other guns after it is broken in. I wouldn't trust my life with it right now.

later,
    mm

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

3. marsh_maniac

marsh_maniac New Member

May 25, 2008
    Currently, my duck gun (which is abused) and p.o.s. .22 rifles are more dependable than what i experienced today.

I'll save my judgement on the kel tec til i have ran about 500 rounds through it. Surely by then i'll have the kinks worked out.

later,
    mm.................who absolutely hates to own a gun that jams.

4. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I never run mine over 50 rounds w/ out a cleaning and proper lube( just too tight a tolerance built into a small package to do otherwise IMO). To compare this gun to a 2 +# range gun is apples and oranges. They are a SD super lite weight super easy to conceal gun that might be called upon to fire several rounds ( not several mags at a time, if that is the type gun you feel you need KT ain't it get a S&W, Ruger,Glock... what ever you prefer for close combat). Do you really think ya might need more than 50 rounds in a SD situation? I'd say if ya can shoot 50 rounds w/ no failures, clean it lube it and repeat 4X ya should be good to go.

lube guide
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

5. marsh_maniac

marsh_maniac New Member

May 25, 2008
    burley - dat idea makes perfect sense. No i don't feel that i need more than a couple of rounds for self defense. Maybe i just didn't know what to expect or should expect. I think my next range trip will consist of several short shooting sessions with a cleaning in between.

6. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Don't forget the lube (I know you wouldn't ,just expeculating someone might) and try the the lube guide( BTW the lube guide has other info,just click the header,then other guns,Kel tec,scroll to bottom of page) Good luck , let us know how it goes.

Oh for you forum word nazis that are checking up on 'expeculate' it is a common use slang word not listed in Merriam-Webster's and also has a second meaning , ' I heard yar a going over to CJ's to coon hunt , I'll expeculate fer dinner'  ;D

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Like stated already, these guns are made for self defense not a long term range session. I've done the fluff and buff to my P3AT and use grease instead of oil on the slide and I've gone through about 500rds without a single failure. I don't go any longer than 100rds at a time through the P3AT as I know the limits of the gun and its purpose.

8. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana

Hahahaha Joe! God, for some reason I just had an image of Jerry Clowler telling the coon hunting story, "Knock'em out John!" ;D

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    marsh_maniac, I get the sense that your expectations of the P-3AT exceed its design capabilities and that you would be better off with something else. A Glock 27 comes immediately to mind. It is not nearly as small, but I think it will make you a much happier shooter. Best of luck.

10. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    MM,

I had the SAME opinion my first time at the range with my P3AT. In fact, I was down right ****ed-off. However, I polished the feed ramp, cleaned the pistol to perfection and lubed it properly. I haven't had a SINGLE problem since. It doesn't matter what ammo I use... it feeds, fires, and ejects EVERY TIME now... It's now my primary conseal.

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would agree with pocketgun

You should have done a little reading before buying a P3AT

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hang in there (I think I know how you're feeling right now) and get advise from the more experienced members here at KTOG. I had several issues with my first P3AT before I got it to run reliably. My second has been flawless.

Take care...

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's been said multiple times before but I will repeat it again with a slight variance. I don't think your expectations were necessarily off, but rather that this weapon doesn't fit within your experience base. It is so small and "close to the line" with tolerances that things have to be just about perfect to function. Lots of cleaning and lots of lube are a must as you start out. Every 50 rounds is a good average but everyone's P3AT will vary slightly on that. After 200-500 rounds (or faster if you do some polishing and a fluff and buff) that will usually extend itself. Basically because the pieces have worn (or smoothed) just a bit and the tolerances are just a bit wider.

Have a mindset that this little guy is a precision 4 oz ball peen hammer for jewlery work and not a framing hammer like a full size/heavy weapon is. They are both hammers and they both pound on things, but you have to treat them drastically different.

-Scott

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's the ticket.  Get it broken in before you pass judgement.  This is an ultra-light, CC pistol.  They do require more maintenance than a duty/service type weapon.  Comparing it to a Glock or an AK is ridiculous.  Anyway, try dropping one of those in your shirt pocket.  ;D

P.S.  All small autos (and this is about as small as they get) can be ammo-selective.  Along with a clean, properly lubed gun, it's good to try a few different rounds.  Also, you need a firm grip with a locked wrist.  This gun is easily limp-wristed which will result in problems.

Clean... lube...  shoot... repeat...  You'll get there.  :cool:

P.P.S.  The marsh is for maniacs.  
    Rice field hunting is much more civilized.  ;D

15. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Is this the blunt nosed WWB with the crap for OAL? Pick another cheap brand for range and be surprised at the difference. That is my take. ;)

16. Scott has said it better than anything I have seen on this board! The 3AT serves a very specific purpose!

Fluff and BUFF... clean, lube, shoot, repeat.

I have 3 3AT's. They all are running fine now, but it was not always so. I almost tossed my first one in the lake!

After following instructions here on the fluff and buff, I eventually got the first one running.

The next two got the fluff and buff before shooting.

After intitial break in (200-500 rounds with out failure) my routine is to clean, lube, shoot TWO MAGS MAX, then repeat!

I often clean and lube even if I don't shoot them!

AND YES... they all three go bang every time I pull the trigger.

17. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Could you please how to properly clean this gun I didn't know it requires that much cleaning, small price to pay for reliability though.

Tom j.

18. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Tom,

If you think your P3AT is going to be kept (like an emergency pack, or survival kit) where regular cleaning isn't possible, you can prep the pistol using DRY LUBE. IE:Graphite. Mix graphite with a little alcohol and use a Q-tip to put graphite in all those places needing lubrication. The alcohol will evaporate leaving pure graphite to lube the parts.

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Could you please how to properly clean this gun I didn't know it requires that much cleaning, small price to pay for reliability though.

Tom j.[/quote]
    Tom, since there are a lot of guides, pictures, etc. out there about lubing but not much about cleaning I'll list off for you what I do (or did if I don't have any guns anymore).

Basically you want to clean all the gunk off everywhere back to bare metal so you can start the lubing/greasing without buildup. To do that I use gunscrubber (the one that's safe for plastics) and spray everywhere in every crack, crevice, hole. I use(d) A LOT of it. While soaking in gunscrubber I would make sure to push the firing pin back and forth to work the cleaner in there as well. If it was a range gun and really dirty I would brush/swab the barrel with parts from a cleaning kit. Let air dry.

Now, more specific to KTs since that is where we are, and this gets into lubing. I would drop some miltec on the feedramp and inside the barrel chamber up to the rifiling (which are already polished to a mirror). If I was really being anal I would set the barrel out in the sun or in the toast oven to get warm before doing the miltec. Now I will totally coat every inside part with spray CLP until lube is dripping everywhere. I will grease all the areas that need greased using a q-tip. Then I will assemble and once assembled use a rag to wipe off as much of the exterior dripping lube as I can but it will remain dripping wet for days so it stays in a holster - that's a safe place for it too!

Finally I will put a magazine in and rack a round and go fire a couple of shots just to confirm. Then come back and reload with carry ammo.

Others may do drastically different but all my weapon function(ed) well this way.

-Scott

20. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    THANKS! that's why I was asking there's practically nothing on cleaning. Really appreciate you taking the time to post this maybe they can place this were everyone can access it.

Tom j.