Not another mag drop problem!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bripro, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bripro

bripro New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I hope this is the way my standard grip puts my thumb real close to the mag release! On my second range trip with my 3AT I had a few instances of the loaded mag falling out after the gun was fired. Now the mag catch was not broke and yes I hold it down when inserting or removing a mag. Has anyone noticed they were actually contacting the mag release hard enough to drop it?

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Yes, lots of people have that problem because the gun is so small and has greater-than-average recoil.

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    If this is your problem , and not a bad release I would suggest removing some portion of the release button so as to reduce it's profile. I'm going to do this on my P3AT because it pops the mag when I rear  pocket carry and sit in the car. I'll still be able to release it but will have to use thumbnail to do so.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is not uncommon for your grip to cause you to release the mag catch when the gun recoils. Many have filed the button down to prevent this. You need to first make sure that you ARE causing the mag to drop. Try changing your grip so that nothing is near the mag button. If the mag does not drop under those circumstances, file it down a bit.

5. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I file mine down to the point where I have to use my thumb nail to release the mag. Since this is a self defense gun (for me) there must be no possibility that the magazine will accidentally release. Considering the range at which these guns will probably need to be used I don't consider a quick magazine change under the stress of a life threatening situation to be a practical option.

I belong to the school that thinks that if you need to carry a gun you probably need to carry two. It is much faster and more certain for me to draw a second gun than to try to reload a gun as small as a P3AT under heavy stress.

If your gun is not primarily to be used for self defense then the above considerations will not apply.

6. bripro

bripro New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    My mag drop problem is fixed.

While shooting the 3-AT I was hitting the mag release with my right thumb causing the mag to drop and the next round could not chamber. I tried altering my grip but that wasnt working and my shooting was obviously off. A fine file was all I needed to sand down the button flush to the grip. I was at the range today and the problem is solved. I decided to actually file it flush to the point I need a tool ( small screwdriver, car key or even a stick ) to push it in far enough to release the mag. This is a pain in the rear while shooting at the range but as far as the one mag I carry in the gun for carry it is not an issue whatsoever. Knowing there is no way for the mag to be released while in my pocket or during firing has made this my choice for CCW beating out a Taurus model 85 and definately my PF-9 which by the way is still at the factory being repaired after only 50 rounds.

7. I have big hands that could not avoid hitting the standard mag release buttons. I was dropping mags like crazy. A friend has small hands, and he was also dropping mags from time to time.

My mag release buttons are metal now, (except the new navy/chrome 3AT ;D) and the metal is filed down flush to the grips so that I have to deliberately push with my thumb nail to make the mags drop.

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    This seems like an extreme answer for the problem,
    It prevents a "Rip (out the mag), Rack (the slide), Replace (the mag), Rack (the, slide)" malfunction drill.

PshootR

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It doesn't usually need to be filed flush, just lowered some. :-/

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I don't have a problem with the mag falling out when shooting, but it has popped out a few times while being carried IWB in a KD mini-IWB. I usually don't notice until I take the gun/holster off, which might make it a one shot wonder. Considering I have carried it hundreds of times, it isn't an often occurrence.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's another reason that some folks file them down a bit. They are longer than they need to be. Consider them adjustable. ;)

12. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    One can Rip-Rack-Replace-Rack and hope that the gun is now functional or one can just draw the second gun. I carry a second gun for a New York reload.