Not a Limp Wrister After All

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Flight_Chief, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sometime ago I was curious about the small flat 380 pistols and purchased a Diamondback 380. After all it looked like a "Baby Glock", but I found out it is no Glock!  All manner a malfunctions became the norm for the pistol. Some said it needed to be broken in with more rounds and others thought that I must be "limp wristing" the gun and needed to hold it tighter and lock my wrist. The jams continued and finally at the 200 mark,  the trigger bar just snapped and it was sent back to the Diamondback factory.  I was issued a brand new, recent production DB380 with all the new improvements. Next trip to the range the jams surfaced again with the new DB380. When I brought up the issue during a trip to the gun store where I was looking at Kel Tec 380's, the specter of the "limp wrist" surfaced again. This limp wrist explanation seems to be popular theory when guns jam.

Today I took my spanking new KEL TEC 3AT 380acp down to the range and shot 75 flawless rounds. I found the 3AT very easy to shoot and 100% reliable with mixed ball ammo and Speer Gold Dots.  It was very accurate for a little gun and I could very easily hit a 9" paper plate at 20 yards. No special hold was necessary.  The sights are fine for a little pistol like this, but I really like that it works flawlessly. Given the superb customer service and high skill level of the gunsmiths at Kel Tec, the 3AT seems to be top of the heap. It appears with a few more boxes of ammo I will have found in the Kel Tec 3AT a small micro 380 reliable enough for pocket carry.

Now, when I go to sell the Diamondback, I will tell the store where I got it that it must be my limp wrist or it needs more ammo to break in. I don't think that I will keep something that I just don't trust.

2. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Im very happy I decided to purchase the P3at over the others. For one, the information I  found here has provided me with the answer for every question I've had. A co-worker of mine  just purchased a Ruger LCP  from Gander Mountian for $279.00 on sale. I tried to sway his purchase to the Keltec but He didnt seem interested "he wanted the trust and reliability of the Ruger name", we'll see how it works out for him next week at the range.

One thing though,  I probably be able to help him out with the mechanics of his gun as the Ruger is such a close copy to the Keltec.

3. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I have a friend that wouldn't listen either. He insisted on the SR9 and is now sending it back to Ruger for trigger issues. Good thing he went with the known name so he would get quality ::)

4. mtnboy51

mtnboy51 New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    After you trip to the range please post a report here. I too was looking for a Ruger LCP but came across this great deal on a Kel-Tec P3AT. I would just like to know I made the right decision.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Happy to read that the P3AT is working out for you. Great primary when carrying larger is not reasonably doable; also a fine BUG if you're so inclined.

6. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I saw that someone referred to the LCP as "Little Copied Pistol". The Kel Tec folks have had this 380 platform for some time and really understand how to fix one if it has issues. This design is still new to the Ruger folks but they will get better with time. Right now the Kel Tec seems like the best choice out there.