Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought about ordering the TI 22 conversion for my PF9 first. It is my primary carry gun now that it has been broken in and ammo tested. But there have been too many rave reviews on KTOG as to the merits of Pop's trigger so last night I ordered one. Looking forward to doing the installation and getting out to the range to see what all the fuss is about

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
When you experience the increased comfort and, even more important, the increased control the Northwoods aluminum trigger gives to the PF-9, you will wonder why you did not do this sooner. While the PF-9 is not, and never will be, a "range gun", the aluminum trigger makes shooting the PF-9 almost pleasant.

Jim R

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you experience the increased comfort and, even more important, the increased control the Northwoods aluminum trigger gives to the PF-9, you will wonder why you did not do this sooner. While the PF-9 is not, and never will be, a "range gun", the aluminum trigger makes shooting the PF-9 almost pleasant.

Jim R
What changes with this trigger? Does the trigger pull lb. change?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
What changes with this trigger? Does the trigger pull lb. change?
No, the aluminum trigger does not change the actual trigger pull in terms of weight. What it does do is to reduce the pre-travel and after-travel of the trigger. Since it both reduces pre-travel (that is, the distance the trigger moves before it starts to actuate the hammer) and has less curve than the factory trigger, it provides more room in the trigger guard for your finger, eliminating trigger guard "slap" during recoil. It also is designed so that trigger "pinch" (something many folks experience with the factory trigger) is eliminated. Also, the aluminum trigger is wider than the factory trigger. This reduces the "perceived" effort needed to pull the trigger, so it feels lighter even though actual pull weight is the same (which is a good thing, since actually reducing the trigger pull weight in a self defense pistol can can adverse legal implications).

Jim R

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Jim R
+1 on "not a range gun" . I'm finally settled on my PF9 now that the extractor tune is complete, so I went with the Northwood to increase the trigger control and therefor the accuracy

Thats a strong point about the PF9, while it may not get shot a lot at the range, you need to use the range time it does get efficiently to become effective in the event you have to use it in a self defense situation. And making it more pleasant and controllable to shoot is going to be a big positive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
(which is a good thing, since actually reducing the trigger pull weight in a self defense pistol can can adverse legal implications).

Jim R
That was exactly what I was concerned about, so this trigger upgrade should not cause any legal ramifications?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
That was exactly what I was concerned about, so this trigger upgrade should not cause any legal ramifications?
Given that the only grounds I have read about in the extensive files of Massad Ayoob and others on self defense shootings where the authorities made a "gun mod" an issue involved lighter than factory trigger pulls or removal of things like a magazine disconnector or other safety, I can see nothing about the aluminum trigger which would lead to any "legal" issues.

Note, I am not a lawyer and I suppose that some completely over the top prosecutor could possibly try to make something out of just about anything but nothing I have ever seen or heard would suggest the aluminum trigger is in any way such an issue. JMHO.

Jim R

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a lawyer here,don't profess to give legal advice, all I can say is for me, I would not worry about it. Nothing is changed performance wise as far as altering the mechanics of the trigger pull weight. If it were I wouldn't be doing it

·
Registered
250 Posts
No, the aluminum trigger does not change the actual trigger pull in terms of weight. What it does do is to reduce the pre-travel and after-travel of the trigger. Since it both reduces pre-travel (that is, the distance the trigger moves before it starts to actuate the hammer) and has less curve than the factory trigger, it provides more room in the trigger guard for your finger, eliminating trigger guard "slap" during recoil. It also is designed so that trigger "pinch" (something many folks experience with the factory trigger) is eliminated. Also, the aluminum trigger is wider than the factory trigger. This reduces the "perceived" effort needed to pull the trigger, so it feels lighter even though actual pull weight is the same (which is a good thing, since actually reducing the trigger pull weight in a self defense pistol can can adverse legal implications).

Jim R
Given that the only grounds I have read about in the extensive files of Massad Ayoob and others on self defense shootings where the authorities made a "gun mod" an issue involved lighter than factory trigger pulls or removal of things like a magazine disconnector or other safety, I can see nothing about the aluminum trigger which would lead to any "legal" issues.

Note, I am not a lawyer and I suppose that some completely over the top prosecutor could possibly try to make something out of just about anything but nothing I have ever seen or heard would suggest the aluminum trigger is in any way such an issue. JMHO.

Jim R
Understood, good insight.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not a lawyer here,don't profess to give legal advice, all I can say is for me, I would not worry about it. Nothing is changed performance wise as far as altering the mechanics of the trigger pull weight. If it were I wouldn't be doing it
Understood, good insight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered one myself. I'm looking forward to getting more finger room primarily. My fat finger doesn't fit quickly and easily in front of the trigger.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered one myself. I'm looking forward to getting more finger room primarily. My fat finger doesn't fit quickly and easily in front of the trigger.
Good deal, you know you read all these rave reviews and the guy designed it and built it himself.. You got to love some good ole American ingenuity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts