Northwood Aluminum Trigger

Discussion in 'Sponsor Display' started by pops409, Mar 1, 2012.

1. chuckt

chuckt New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Have the trigger sitting in the drawer waiting. Ordered the gun and trigger at the same time. Guess which got here first. Will install and F&B before the first round is fired. Looking forward to it.

2. pops409

pops409 Active Member Supporter

Apr 11, 2011
    Chuckt,
    You may want to consider doing the F&B on your stock firearm, and breaking it in first. Just a precaution in case you have an issue that needs fixing prior to installing your trigger. I know its rare, but stuff does happen.
    Something to consider...:)
    Pops

3. Youngblood

Youngblood Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Pops,

I installed a Northwood Trigger on my 2007 PF9 last Fall. Probably since it was one of the early PF9s, successful installation required quite a bit of modding & tuning ... but ... it has turned my pistol into one that is a joy to shoot so I consider it effort very well spent.

While I was out in the backyard yesterday testfiring my new XDs45, I took the opportunity to "exercise" my PF9 (I only shoot it a couple of times a year).

What a pleasure it is to fire, because of that new trigger!

I realized that I had probably never thanked you for making this available to us, so ...

Thank you, Pops! :D

Kim

4. pops409

Apr 11, 2011
    Much obliged, Kim :)

And it has been a while since I've thanked everyone for their kind words and compliments recently. I sincerely appreciate when folks take the time to write and share their experience and issues alike - it helps in the fine tuning, and is always welcome.

Pops

5. logansar

logansar New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Arlington TX
    Pops, I just joined the Forum after a friend suggested joining. He came to me with a PF9 and your trigger upgrade. I installed it and was VERY impressed. Great quality and great improvement over the factory.

I will be upgrading my personal PF9.

Sarge
    HRH Combat Arms LLC

6. pops409

Apr 11, 2011
    Response to "chuckt" in P-11 Forum:

Chuck - as you indicated in Post #341, this is a new p-11? Did you happen to notice the click before the trigger swap? How many rounds for initial break-in? I assume you are talking about "pre-travel" free play and not "over-travel"? Not seeing or hearing it, if it is something else besides the normal reset "click", I would be willing to take a wild guess, and suggest that your trigger might be rubbing on the plastic grip opening slightly just before it contacts the frame. On a P-11, the plastic grip opening in front of the trigger should allow the trigger to fully contact the aluminum frame without touching the grip. Same goes for the rear of the opening.

One other thing to check (with your slide removed) is the side clearance between the frame and the grip on the right side. Too loose, and the trigger bar starts acting funny. The trigger spring might be slipping out of the groove on the trigger bar just enough to "click" back in on reset, or the bar is slipping off the nub on the trigger axis. The fix is to remove the grip, carefully warm the side "sufficiently" and push in slightly until it cools. Shouldn't take much. This will help keep everything in alignment on that side.

Hope this helps a bit.. :)
    pops

7. chuckt

chuckt New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks for answering. I'll look at it tonight. For clarification, the pretravel and over travel are both OK. The "click" occurs as you pull the trigger to the end of the pretravel, just as the trigger bar starts to lift the hammer.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. thebrugian

thebrugian New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Pops trigger

I installed pops trigger yesterday, shot it a few times, and the trigger pin keeps popping out? I pushed it back in so I wouldn't lose it but would blue locktite solve it?

image-4138562102.jpg

9. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    This may be a stupid question but you did put the set screw in didn't you? Sometimes the set screw will feel tight when it isn't all the way in. But if its in there and tight I don't see how the pin could be coming out.

10. ManBearPack

ManBearPack New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Boca Raton, FL
    Trigger not resetting

Took my PF9 to the range this week and I was having issues with the trigger resetting. After every 2 or 3 shots the trigger did not reset. I have the Northwood trigger installed but did not have issues with it before. Any suggestions?

11. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I'm going to stick this over in Pops thread...he'll see it faster and maybe have an answer for you.

12. pops409

Apr 11, 2011
    Apologies folks. Been on vacation with almost no cell reception (or internet). ManBearPack - could be one of several things. I sent you a PM - maybe best to talk it over on the cell instead of plowing through emails with the "29 questions" back and forth. PM me back with your cell# and best time of day (EST), and we'll hash it out. Will update here when we figure it out :)
    Pops

13. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I have installed dozens of these triggers and any reset issues have always been not enough clearance in front of the trigger. You will need to trim a tiny amount of material from your plastic grip right in front of the trigger. Small file or exacto blade or even a sharp pocket knife blade will do it. It only takes a tiny bit of obstruction to prevent reset.

14. BeachJumperUnit

BeachJumperUnit Active Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Pops, I have Northwood PF9 trigger kit. Are both setscrews used or is there just an extra 6x32 setscrews?

15. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    The 2 kits I've installed only had one set screw...I used 1 set screw per pistol. I'm sure you just got an extra, but maybe Pops can clear this up.

16. pops409

Apr 11, 2011
    The second setscrew was an extra. Folks had a few dropsies at the beginning, so it was just cheaper to include a second one as a precaution.

I just skimmed through the website, and the trigger guide, thinking I had already answered that question, but I guess it must have been buried in this thread a ways back, or another thread somewhere else :rolleyes:

Update 10/8/13: Due to a recent (huge) increase in the cost of these Nylock setscrews, the extra one had to be eliminated from the kit to keep the prices the same. Hope that's OK with everyone...

Pops

17. mptaylor

mptaylor New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    North Texas
    I learned about your trigger for the pf9 in this forum. Thank you to the forum and you for a solution to the trigger sting. Mine is in the mail as of Monday, can't hardly wait to get it installed and tried out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  18. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Installed the trigger in my PF9 the other day-took about an hour because I'd never had my P9 "totally" disassembled before and I was taking my time and "looking things over" really well to learn its function.

It worked out so well that I ordered one for my shootin' buddy and installed it in his P9. I think it took me 15 minutes to get his installed.

This is a significant improvement to the factory trigger, no doubt...

19. mptaylor

mptaylor New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    North Texas
    Installed my new trigger last night. Can hardly wait to try it out. I miss living in the country.
    It took me a while to figure out trigger reset. Otherwise it fit fine, no modifications. This was the first time I've dismantled my pf9.

20. morekeltecs

morekeltecs New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    hampton roads ,va
    i love my pf9 and am grateful to all the ktog members for their help picking the northwoods trigger, mine is in the mail as of yesterday and when i get it installed i will put some pics up in the pf9 thread. thanks everybody at ktog and pops at northwoods. :( there wont be a p3at trigger, the galloway looks funny