Noobie to Keltec! New P3AT! Luv it!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by zuma, Dec 6, 2009.

1. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    First I want to say I like the site a lot. I see a lot of great information and participation and I hope to contribute in the future.

I just purchased a P-3AT Last week ($230 plus $%^ $270 Landed)

I love this little gun.

I took it to the range and purposely did not do any lube or cleaning prior to see what would happen. As I beleive the product should come in somewhat plug in play condition!

I ran through 50 rounds of privi partizan(never heard of it) and had 100%.
    I then tried my next box of Browning Short and it was a mess. Every other shot failed to fire. The primer was too hard for the gun to penetrate.
    As noted by the moderator it may just by my gun that can't use the ammo.
    I then shot Magtech Hollow Points and they shot 100%.
    So my first trip was about 120 rounds to start.
    I enjoyed shooting this gun and as I got used to its feel I was able to tighten my group at 25 feet.
    I have one question, I am shooting lower and had to adjust by raising my front sight to correct it.
    Can someone tell me what I may be doing that is causing the down motion.
    I did play with the two step pull by squeezing and then feeling the final grab and that helped with control.

Hope I did not put you to sleep. Thanks

zuma

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    zuma

Glad to hear that you love the littel gun. I really enjoy shooting mine (with ammo that it likes) :-/.

I've had good luck and tight groups with this gun by putting the front sight right on the bull and not "stageing" the trigger. Just a smooth continuous squeeze and make sure that you let the trigger come fully forward after the shot. If you've ever shot a double action revolver this is probably the best method. By stageing, you may be anticipating the shot and trying to adjust for the recoil prematurely. Make sure that you use the pad of your index finger and not the first joint. If you do, you will be pretty much shoot low and left if you are right handed (low right, left handed) every time.

One of the best things I've found is to paint the front and rear sights. This helps heaps in acquiring the front sight and lining it up with the rear. There are a number threads on here as well as in the FAQs section on this.

As far as the Browining Short ammo not firing - check to see that the firing pin is moving easily and there is no "crud" in the hole. I've shot the Parzivan and have had good luck with it.

Clean it well, grease and gun oil, shoot some more, repeat as often as you like (or can afford). :(

Jim

4. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Thanks Jim. Will do dor next time. I let you know how I make out.

5. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    One other thing.

Hope you are shooting two handed trying to get a tight group! Ths gun needs good control being short sight radius and relatively powerful for its weight. If you can hit within a 6 to 8" diamter circle at 21 feet one or two handed you can consider to be a center of mass (COM) gun and that's all you need. Remember this is not supposed to be a long distance weapon but with a little practice with it I've found that it will hit COM at some good distance (15 yards). Did not want to push my luck out to the next distance at the pistol range which is about 25 yards. ;)

Jim

6. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I use two handed grip. Yes it does have a little kick. I was able to get in my target circle. I got better groups by aiming up a little with the nose., I am going to work on smoother trigger action and get used to this one and the response.  Thanks.  I am also going to order a Hogue grip as it feels small in my hands and I think it will help stability.

[reason]removed reply from inside quote[/reason]

7. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I've had mine for about a year & 1/2 now. Mine has always shot low & right by about 6-7", just have to adjust for it. Welcome & good luck. Tom :)

8. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    thnx Tom

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
  10. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009