Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks new to the forum. I Have a question R3136 is the serial number on my PF9. I bought it used but have read mixed reviews about them on line. How do I know if i have one of the good ones. I have tried the info on the site but I couldnt figure out which Gen i have.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
While Kel Tec has made improvements in various PF-9 parts since its introduction (change in barrel ramp, metal mag catch instead of plastic, improved assembly pin) there is no "generational" change, such as ocurred with the P3AT. Nor is there, so far as I know, any serial number block or "group" of bad PF-9s. What problems have been found by individuals are just that-individual pistols which had some issues or problems. These likely constitute less than 1 percent of all PF-9s, so the odds are that your "used" PF-9 is just fine. Only way to be sure is to take it out with some good quality brass ammo, a thorough cleaning and lubrication, and just shoot it.

Jim R

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree take it,shoot it if you have issues come back here and ask questions there are some very willing folks on this forum that can help you out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You have a gun that is less than 9 months old. We were selling R3xx guns in Sept. of last year. It is identical to the S7xx guns we had last month.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree, take it out and enjoy it. Shoot 200 rounds of various ammo brands through it, including your intended carry ammo, and then carry it with confidence.

If you have any questions or problems/concerns, there are a lot of people on this forum that just love to help and answer questions.

Keltec is also very good about fixing their product.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
You say you bought it used. Was it a private sale, or was it used in your LGS?
There's several reasons for people to sell off a PF-9 so soon after buying it, including a Husband/boyfriend buying a 'little' 9mm for their Wife/Girlfriend, only to find that the Wife/GF hates the recoil.

Another reason might have been that they bought it without shooting one 1st and found out they didn't like it.

Of course... The original owner may have had money issues that caused him/her to sell off some guns.

There's no way to tell if you got 'a good one' until you shoot it yourself, but chances are, you're in the lucky 99% and did get a good one.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
You have a gun that is less than 9 months old. We were selling R3xx guns in Sept. of last year. It is identical to the S7xx guns we had last month.
Are you sure? According to my calculation, R3136 would only be the 10336th PF-9 made. That puts it somewhere in early 2007. The previous owner may have sent it in for updates, so there's no easy way for us to tell if it has all of them. But like everyone else here, I agree if it isn't broken don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
:confused: I have R47XX bought new in 2007. The only difference in it and R02XX bought new in "06 is frame (walking ejector pin fixed) and barrel ramp slightly different. Plastic mag releases and old style hammer block on both. 'Course both have all upgrades now. To OP, even if it doesn't have all the upgrades, doesn't mean it won't shoot OK. My first one had over 5000rds through it before I finally sent it back.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Made me go back and look. In Aug we received 4 pf9s. All came from Cdnn as they were the only pf9s out there. These were r9xx models. In Sept they started showing up at all the distributors. These were s0xx. As of last week they are s4yxx.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Made me go back and look. In Aug we received 4 pf9s. All came from Cdnn as they were the only pf9s out there. These were r9xx models. In Sept they started showing up at all the distributors. These were s0xx. As of last week they are s4yxx.
Not sure what's up with that... KT's numbering scheme means that PF-9 serials would go to RZZ99 before "rolling over" to S0001. R9 vs RZ is a difference of 81,600, which, estimating 750 produced per week, puts them about 2 years apart.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
It makes me wonder if CDNN found some older NIB stock that somehow got lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would disagree that the repair department is good. I have a pf9 that has been sent in twice. Bought new and put 300 rounds through it. First time it took 3 weeks to get back. Sent back in and it was a "priority" repair. Still don't have my gun. Been gone from march 6 th and still don't have it back yet. All it had was a fte problem. Looks like they could have built me a new gun by now. Not satisfied at all. Considering sell and buying a lc9.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
jtsimsfamily... Interesting 1st post. Hopefully you didn't join simply to slam KT Service? If you'd have posed your problem before you sent it in, we may have been able to help you troubleshoot your pistol and (maybe) given some tips that might have avoided your needing to send it in. Many problems can be User Resolved by simply swapping out a couple parts (even if you've never worked on a pistol in your life).

If you're already disgruntled with the PF-9 and Kel-Tec in general, just skip the Ruger 'Little Copy 9' and go straight to the new S&W Shield. It's Single Stack, pretty much the same size as the PF-9 and LC9 (by a fraction of an inch here and there), but 19oz, which should help the recoil control caused FTE issues of the Ultra-lightweight Subcompact 9mms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all the replies. My intent with this post was to kind of get some research for a new to me gun and sorta test the water as to what kind of forum this is. I would like to to say that overall i think KT is a great company, I have carried a p-11 for years as my back up. I also have the P-40 model that has been discontinued. Just yesterday i emailed KT about new polymer mag followers because mine were plastic. Erica promptly emailed me and said she had put them in the mail at no charge. I still have not had a chance to take my pf 9 to the range because of work. But im sure when i do I will have another good KT experience.

I work in Law Enforcement and I do not consider my self a "gun expert" nor should I because im an officer, how ever I do trust my P-11 with my life and will continue to do so. Again thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not sure what's up with that... KT's numbering scheme means that PF-9 serials would go to RZZ99 before "rolling over" to S0001. R9 vs RZ is a difference of 81,600, which, estimating 750 produced per week, puts them about 2 years apart.
So if we were getting S0XX in Sept. and are at S4Yxx what kind of production are they running? If they are pushing 750-1000 a week where the heck are all these guns?!! Right after the first of the year I saw stocked levels at around 600 between all the distributors we use. Those were gone in about 10 days. Since then the most I have been allowed to buy has been 5 at a time. Now we are lucky to get 2 a week.
I believe CDNN does get new old stock from time to time. If we have to resort to buying from them the serials are always way off and under what we have been getting from other places. Take Davidsons Gallery Of Guns guarantee replacement policy for instance. Davidsons does not sell used or reconditioned guns. What do they do with the guns they take back? Do they get returned to the factory and then go out as refurbished or NOS?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
So if we were getting S0XX in Sept. and are at S4Yxx what kind of production are they running? If they are pushing 750-1000 a week where the heck are all these guns?!!
Well, let's see, S0001 (or maybe S0000) would be the 115,600th PF-9. Adding 4Y to that makes 16,800 more PF-9s. There's a seven month difference between September and April, which is 28 weeks, which makes production 600 per week. 750 per week was just my initial guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts