Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at but not shot my "new to me" but used P3AT. I disassembled it today and noticed it has a steel not polymer guide rod which I'm assuming was aftermarket by the previous owner. My question is this - my slide comes back very easily about 1/2 of an inch when retracting it, as in when I use the beltclip to hook it IWB, I sometimes feel the slide move back just a little. Is this normal is my spring(s) sprung? I don't want to unnecessarily replace the springs but if this is too weak I would want new springs. Any info anyone can give would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
The P3AT's come from the factory with a steel guide rod...always have.

Not sure if your springs are OK or not...any troubles will show up while shooting it.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hey Revco,
Are you related to the drug store Revco's? And what part of Georgia are you in? (In what part of Georgia are you?) I'm up in Dawsonville. My p3at has a metal guide rod and the slide slides back really easy for maybe 3/8th of an inch. When you reholster, you might want to have your thumb on the back of the slide. I like to stick my finger behind the trigger on guns that have room to do that. I like to have my thumb on the backs of hammers when I can. I hate shooting myself in the leg.

Hey, what's with this 'I have a gun I've not shot yet' bit? You really need to get out and shoot that sucker. My p3 is one of my least favorite guns to shoot, but it sure is nice to carry. I've had one in the back pocket for the last 2000 days or so.

Welcome to ktog, and if you are anywhere near D'ville, gimme a holler. I'm really east to talk into a shoot.

lop

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey lop - no no relation to the old drug store. Rev is for Reverend and Cov is the first of my last name. Out in the Conyers area. Just picked it up this week and hope to shoot it soon. Thanks for the reassurances on both the slide travel and metal guide rod. Only other KT was an EARLY P32 that had the poly guide rod.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome to the forum revcov. Yes the slide comes back fairly easy for the first little bit then two things happen; it runs into the hammer and has to push that back also and about the same time the barrel starts the process of disengaging from the slide. Both actions happen at the same time and feels like you hit a wall. It's quite normal and as long as your .380 will snap the slide back in place you should be good to go. My P3AT came with a metal guide rod too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.