Noob Post #1

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bree, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Hi everyone.  I bought myself a P3AT today so I thought I would sign in on the KTOG board.  Since I live in NY, it will take a few days to take possession due to pistol permit and registration processes.  But I should have my hard chrome P3AT in short order and then do the fluff and buff and head out to the range to break her in.  Looking forward to good service from this weapon and a little fun to boot.
    :) :) :)

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!!

Shoot it like ya stole it!

Er...maybe not such good advice for NY.

Shoot the heck out of it!

3. p3at

p3at New Member

May 21, 2007
    Suggestion while you are waiting: PUT YOUR HOLSTER ORDER IN NOW!!!!!!!

Mine took 3 months:

[​IMG]

Actually, if you live in NYC don't bother with the holster order :( :( :(

4. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    Bree: What made you choose P3-AT over PF9 or P32? I am assisting my daughter with research and future purchase...thanks

5. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome. Keep us informed.

wyo-man

6. kaltectom

kaltectom New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Welcome. I have heard a lot about the NY gun laws.....how 'bout explaining what it takes to buy one.....can you carry in your car?

7. outhouseking

outhouseking New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Nice holster, mind if I ask where you purchased it?

8. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Easy.  .380 is the minimum caliber I was willing to step down to for personal protection.  Ya have to have enough energy and mass to get in a foot or so (side shots) to be sure to reach vitals to assure immediate incapacitation of the assailant.  You also need to generate a big enough wound channel to do sufficient damage to make the incapacitation immediate or the BG will get you.  That is even more important for a woman.

Women's self defense needs are equal to or even greater than men's since men can still fight their way through the battle as they are equally matched physically.  Most women are at a distinct physical disadvantage so we have to bring down the BG before he can get a grab on us. (Note: Statistically the lion's share of assaults on women are M-F though there are some F-F where a woman can still hold her own in the fight)  That means we need POWER.  .32 is just too little mass and too little energy to be sure to get the job done.

Even the .380 which is really a short 9mm is a poor round compared to my .45 ACP.  But you make trade offs for concealability and comfort.  My XD-45 is my primary carry weapon.  The P3AT is my backup and summer gun where concealability of the XD is very very difficult.

The "weaker sex" needs more powerful weapons.  That is the bottom line.  If I could handle it I would probably use a .454 Casull Super Redhawk Alaskan, but that is just a wee bit too much for me!!  LOL!

Of course that is a point too.  You use what you can handle.  If all that she can handle is a .32 then that's what she has to go with.  I grew up on a .357 Magnum so I can handle a lot more than a .32
    ;) ;) ;)

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    +1 Bree,

Very well written and logical synopsis! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Oh boy... get me started on NY gun laws... To POSSESS a handgun in NY state requires a valid NY Pistol Permit. These are issued by the COUNTIES. Each county has its own issuance rules. Some are easy and some are well nigh impossible to get an unrestricted permit. I live in Erie County which is in the close to well nigh impossible category. I have an unrestricted permit and I had to do a LOT of argument and persuasion before an assistant Supreme Court Justice to get it. It took me almost 1/2 hour and I had to present a lot of evidence to show "proper cause" for them to issue an unrestricted permit.

The fact that I had an unrestricted Florida CCW for over 10 years didn't make a whole lot of difference. Anyways the proof of need is a different story for a different day. Suffice it to say that I proved need and got the permit. It takes 6-18 months from the time you apply. I had to wait over a year just to meet enough people to have character references which must all be from your county and preferably from your city. NY permits are for life but revocable at any time sua sponte.

Once I got permitted, I was able to have my SP-101 shipped to an FFL and then it was added to my permit and I was allowed to pick the gun up and possess it. Possessing it prior to that is majorly illegal.

Federal law allows interstate transport of handguns but you need to be real attentive to the exact letter of the law because one slip and you are off the jail. You better not get off the freeway or do any stops other than for fuel while you are passing through. You better be coming from a state where you are licensed and going to a state where you are licensed. It is pretty hairy. I would consult packing .org and the NRA websites and check on the law and specific requirements as I am not an attorney. Best advice is stay out of NY unless you are a New Yorker with a pistol permit.

Hope that helps!
    :) :) :)

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    +1

12. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Nice! I like it. I picked up a DeSantis pocket holster with my order since it was cheap and right there.

I do leatherwork so I will probably create my own pocket and vest holsters for my baby. I don't see myself ever wearing a belt holster with this gun as I often have my XD-45 on my belt or I have a Fatboy Versipack holding the XD and blocking the belt. I want it for a backup gun to my XD-45. When I leave the 45 home, I will probably have a biker vest or some shorts/jeans on so I won't be going the belt route in either case.

Who makes that holster?
    ;) ;) ;)

13. p3at

p3at New Member

May 21, 2007

Thanks, its a custom from K & D Holsters. Speak to Kevin, he's a great guy. Excellent quality. Was around $50.

14. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Well team, I disassembled the P3AT and did a light fluff and buff on all but the guide rod springs which didn't look like they needed anything. The barrel, feed ramp, rails, and other points of contact were in pretty darn good shape. Very little sanding was needed. I used 600 grit paper.

I lubed the contact points with a very light coating of gun grease and buttoned her back up. I ran several mags through by racking the slide to make sure they all fed and ejected properly. No problems or worries!

So she goes to the range tomorrow to get her baptism. I have 250 rounds of ammo and I think it's a GREAT way to spend my sweetie's birthday with me breaking in the family's new pocket gun at the shooting range!!
    :D :D :D

15. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Welcome on board and good luck at the range.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    250 rounds :eek:

I would highly recommend cleaning and lubing at least every 50. besides the soot buildup increasing drag and causing feeding problems, there will be some operational machining of the mating and contacting parts. In particular will be the head of the recoil rod will dig into the frame and spent cases will ding the slide's rail opposite the ejector. If these are allowed to get too proud, disassembly will become difficult. A knife will cut the proud metal off.

17. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Holster?? Holster?? I've got four of 'em, two in the front and two in the back! ;)

Come this fall (jacket weather), I'll wear a real holster with a bigger pistol. I got my P-3AT specifically for the fact that I can slip it in a pocket and not attract any undue attention. Not the best carry option around, but better than no pistol at all because I'm worried about scaring the sheeple. ::)

18. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. I will bring along a little field cleaning kit. The gun is easy to strip down as long as you have something to pry the assembly bolt up. My Leatherman Wave should be perfect for the job and for any trimming that might be needed.
    ;) ;) ;)

19. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Thanks for the tip.  I will bring along a little field cleaning kit.  The gun is easy to strip down as long as you have something to pry the assembly bolt up.  My Leatherman Wave should be perfect for the job and for any trimming that might be needed.
    ;) ;) ;)[/quote]

Just remember to place a finger on each side of the assembly pin and apply pressure when prying it up so you don't pop out the spring (part #284). No need for major tear down 1st time out , good luck :)

20. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The P3AT can be field stripped with NO tools.

Have you tried using a round?

1 verified magazine is out and chamber is cleared
    2 holding in left hand, use thumb to push barrel slide back 1/4" and hold
    3 use right hand finger nail to lift assembly pin its little bit (0.030")
    4 place the rim of the round flat on the slide, directly above the pin.
    5 force the rim under the head of the pin
    6 while maintaining force on the base of the round into the pin, use thumb to push the bullet directly away
    7 the pin will snap about 1/2 way out, then remove the pin
    8 release the left thumb from holding barrel slide back 1/4"

Now to clean the magazine.
    use the assembly pin to push in the base button
    with the pin inserted 1/4", use it to help push the base off.
    the pin will stop the base from flying off when it slips free
    remove the pin, use thumb to return the inner plate and spring, remove the base

for field cleaning a paper towel and a CLP product work fine just to wipe parts down. the inside the barrel to can be wiped out with a twisted towel. Then grease (I like pariffin/teflon)