Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All ,
i contacted keltec to find out the factory gas setting , they stated between 3-5 clicks from closed . My question is what do they mean by closed ? The piston turned all the way clockwise being actually closed ? Or all the way counter clockwise and least gas ?
I apologize in advance i know this topic has been covered but looking through the forum i see different answers .

Thanks guys

·
Registered
120 Posts
Closed means max gas, so the knob turned all the way to “+”. Another way to look at this is when you turn the knob you can see it screw into or away from the gas tube, when it is screwed all the way into the tube, the gas system is closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Closed means max gas, so the knob turned all the way to “+”. Another way to look at this is when you turn the knob you can see it screw into or away from the gas tube, when it is screwed all the way into the tube, the gas system is closed.
Thank you greatly .. now i understand . I shoot m193 so i’m guessing this won’t need much adjustment . Thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
the gas valve is a bleed off design.
like a garden hose bibb valve, opening it releases water out from the rest of the system.
You can look at it this way facing the rifle (business end, be safe). Like a faucet, turn CW (+) to close (most pressure), CCW (-) to open , or bleed off.

Therefore, for Standard 556 and .223 without a muffler, functioning is typically within 5 clicks from full (+), or fully closed. Some are able to function at 7.
The setting that works best will change with ammo types and gas valve fouling.
Follow these two guides,
1, last round hold open.
2, slightly dented case necks.
Dial in (+) till you have both. then check your case necks to see if your gas is good.
following this guidance, the numbers of clicks will now be irrelevant as it should because no two rifles will adjust the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the gas valve is a bleed off design.
like a garden hose bibb valve, opening it releases water out from the rest of the system.
You can look at it this way facing the rifle (business end, be safe). Like a faucet, turn CW (+) to close (most pressure), CCW (-) to open , or bleed off.

Therefore, for Standard 556 and .223 without a muffler, functioning is typically within 5 clicks from full (+), or fully closed. Some are able to function at 7.
The setting that works best will change with ammo types and gas valve fouling.
Follow these two guides,
1, last round hold open.
2, slightly dented case necks.
Dial in (+) till you have both. then check your case necks to see if your gas is good.
following this guidance, the numbers of clicks will now be irrelevant as it should because no two rifles will adjust the same.
Thank you , you guys cleared it up . I tried searching for the answer but a lot of the posts became cluttered with confusion lol.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
There is a lot of confusion when using terms like open close, right and left.
KT put a + and - on the rail to denote more gas (+) and less gas (-).
The conversations should refer to this.
But then I have to turn it around with my garden hose valve example.🤨
That's specially for noobs. But when I understood the principle, it made a lot of sense.
Happy shooting.
Remember , when you get a fail to fire, you might have a fail to eject also. Stop, clear, and visually inspect the chamber before ripping on that charge handle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a lot of confusion when using terms like open close, right and left.
KT put a + and - on the rail to denote more gas (+) and less gas (-).
The conversations should refer to this.
But then I have to turn it around with my garden hose valve example.🤨
That's specially for noobs. But when I understood the principle, it made a lot of sense.
Happy shooting.
Remember , when you get a fail to fire, you might have a fail to eject also. Stop, clear, and visually inspect the chamber before ripping on that charge handle.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the help, i kept track where my
gas was set at and played with the dial. i watched it open and close and i realized that was most likely what they meant . i shoot winchester M193 out of it would you say it’s safe to say the gun should operate within the 3-5 click factory setting ?

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
527 Posts
Thanks for the help, i kept track where my
gas was set at and played with the dial. i watched it open and close and i realized that was most likely what they meant . i shoot winchester M193 out of it would you say it’s safe to say the gun should operate within the 3-5 click factory setting ?
Operating range is 5-15.
None of us know what the factory setting was..But per the manual:
"The rifle has been adjusted at the factory to operate with standard M193 type ammunition."

Its really not difficult or too ammo intensive to tune the gun for what you intend to shoot most often. Most of the 223/556 will operate just fine on 1 setting (unlike its 308 brother)..With the only exception going from brass to steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Operating range is 5-15.
None of us know what the factory setting was..But per the manual:
"The rifle has been adjusted at the factory to operate with standard M193 type ammunition."

Its really not difficult or too ammo intensive to tune the gun for what you intend to shoot most often. Most of the 223/556 will operate just fine on 1 setting (unlike its 308 brother)..With the only exception going from brass to steel cased ammo.
just picked up my 2nd rdb today .. an rdb 17 which i like better then the defender . gas was at 5 from closed . when i emailed keltec they said factory settings was between 3-5 . I’m hoping to go next weekend to zero and fine tune it .

·
Registered
527 Posts
just picked up my 2nd rdb today .. an rdb 17 which i like better then the defender . gas was at 5 from closed . when i emailed keltec they said factory settings was between 3-5 . I’m hoping to go next weekend to zero and fine tune it .
I shoot b+5 using 50 to 75gr Frontier ammunition. I only add gas when shooting steelcased.

·
Registered
527 Posts
is that 5 from full closed ? that’s how the rifle came . I don’t use steel case ammo anymore . tried it years ago didn’t like it much
I know mine didn't come 5 from closed from the factory which is why I mention us as a whole not knowing what the factory setting is for one reason or another..Did your first Rdb come b+5?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know mine didn't come 5 from closed from the factory which is why I mention us as a whole not knowing what the factory setting is for one reason or another..Did your first Rdb come b+5?
honestly it’s hard to know if it did , it was on the rack at the gun store and i know a lot of guys played around with it . I believe it was on 7 from closed , but i would bet money on it someone played with the dial .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts