non resident ccw

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mydixiwrecked00, Aug 3, 2008.

  1. mydixiwrecked00

    mydixiwrecked00 New Member

    Jul 25, 2008
    i tried to post this at the counter since i really am not sure of where it should go but it said i was not aloud.

    i am a Florida resident and have my CCW... I am trying to find information on acquiring a Utah non resident permit and not having much luck on websearches other than " get both today for $150". does anyone here have experience in this or hold both permits? how do u go about getting the Utah permit? i travel a lot and would like to be legal in as many states as possible.
  2. shootah800

    shootah800 New Member

    Nov 29, 2007
    Hey, mydixiwerecked00 --

    I am a UT resident, and have a UT permit. Here is the link with with OFFICIAL information:

    Keep in mind that there are a few states that only accept your permit if you are a resident of the state from which the permit is issued. This is not the case very often, however. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.


  3. adamsesq

    adamsesq New Member

    Dec 25, 2006
    Several of the gun ranges around the Portland area have Utah instructors that regularly put on Utah classes to meet Utah's qualifications.  It's a big enough deal to have a permit from Utah that you can get their classes several states away - pretty cool if you ask me. But I'm still for a "Full Faith and Credit" recognition of another state's licenses throughout the US.

  4. molachi

    molachi New Member

    Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.

    Scott..Definetly agree with you on that....

  5. So am I. Of course, the phrase, "...throughout the US." implies concealed carry be made legal everywhere, which it should. I'd be content with one license that covered all places now legal to carry as being a good starting point.

  6. Blue_Moon

    Blue_Moon New Member

    Dec 22, 2004
    So is Utah's license the most widely recognized? Is that why it is in higher demand?
  7. TxCajun

    TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

    Sep 7, 2004
    I think that the Florida permit is still most widely accepted.
  8. joje

    joje New Member

    Nov 1, 2007
    i believe that while florida ccws are even more recognized than utah ccws, the state of florida requires residency, wherease utah does not.
  9. wyo-man

    wyo-man Active Member

    Nov 27, 2006
    Colorado recently passed a law that in order to CCW in their state, you must be a resident of the state that issued your permit............. (or something to that effect). May need Spikejerk or others to chime in for exact details.

  10. RandyP

    RandyP New Member

    Dec 23, 2007
    All the current data for the USA re CCW permits can be found at:

    I went to a Utah/Florida Class held at a local gun shoppe in Illinois, taught by an excellent Utah certified instructor from Minnesota.

    To get the FL permit all that was required was demonstrating safe gun handling & firing at the range and paying an additional $25 fee (plus the FL fee of course). For now I just have the Utah one. Other than FL there were not any additional States that offered reciprocity more than UT did over the FL permit. (or at least none where I planned on visiting any time soon-lol)

    The FL non-resident permit will allow you to carry in FL but the Utah one is only good for Utah residents travelling in FL. Florida obviously does not have a problem with non-resident permit holders as long as they support the FL economy by paying their fee too.

  11. NOPE>...Florida issues out of state .........  I have one in my pocket.

    From the Florida website linked below:

    Eligibility Requirements

    You must be 21 years of age or older.
    You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
    Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) ....

    When I have questions about a particular State.... I go to that states website and look at the source.

    There are many good sites set up to compare and list what states are doing... but the bottom line for me is to go to to the state site.



    SIDE NOTE:  One of the things I really like about the Florida permit is that it is signed by Charles Bronson!   ;D
  12. joje

    joje New Member

    Nov 1, 2007
    NOPE>...Florida issues out of state ......... I have one in my pocket

    my bad. i did look into getting a florida ccw years ago and ended up not doing it due to some showstopper i obviously cant recall. i thought it was residency requirement but it must have been something else
  13. TxCajun

    TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

    Sep 7, 2004
    Not only does FL do non-resident licensing, but with a copy of your dd214 (honorable discharge) they will fore go any training requirement. Basically, you send in your application with fingerprints, a passport photo, dd214 and a check and you get back a 5 year permit good in 30-something states.
  14. Glock_Drone

    Glock_Drone New Member

    Aug 4, 2008
    I think Utah is one of the most widely accepted, and it issues to non-residents. You don't even have to take the classes in Utah. If having a Utah CCW would allow you to carry in more states than your own state's CCW allows, then it's likely that most places that conduct classes for your state permit will also do them for Utah. Of course, if your state doesn't require a class, then it may be more difficult to find a place that does the classes. The best places to look would be ranges and clubs that offer NRA-qualified instructors.

    I know that in Arizona, the Utah CCW will allow 3 additional states: Nevada, Washington, and Minnesota. Those are the only states that a Utah license covers which are not covered with an Arizona CCW. I am thinking of taking the class soon, just in case I need to go to those states (particularly NV and WA).
  15. mydixiwrecked00

    mydixiwrecked00 New Member

    Jul 25, 2008
    Yeah, my main reason for wanting a Utah non resident CCW is to carry in MN. i did do a lil research in my trusty 2008 Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States and it says they allow non resident Utah permits. The most interesting tidbit i found was that MN shall issue a non resident permit by applying at any sherrifs office in the state and meeting all their criteria. Guess that means if im reading this correctly UT and FL are not the only places to get a non resident permit anymore.
  16. haugrdr

    haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

    Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Just a little item to add to that TxC...Florida CWP license is now good for 7 years, as of June tyhis year.

    And here is a great site for carrying concealed throughout the USA.

  17. toddmog

    toddmog New Member

    Jul 8, 2007
    They accept several different forms to show proficiency.  I mailed a copy of my Hunters Saftey card that I got when I was 12 :) Now I'm about half-way through the wait for my KS permit.
  18. burley

    burley Well-Known Member

    Nov 26, 2006
    Todd , have you joined over at ? Good site for local ccw info. And a late welcome to KTOG.
    (I'm in the Topeka area)
  19. toddmog

    toddmog New Member

    Jul 8, 2007
    Yep...I'm glockguy over there. I'm in Ottawa.